Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Radiator fan not working

The other night as I was in rush hour traffic, I noticed that my coolant temp was rising over 200F. It kept rising so I pulled over to check it out. It only reached 210F, but since I upgraded my radiator last year, I haven't seen anything over 200F. As it turns out my fan won't turn on. I have replaced 2 fuses and the relay, reset the ECU, and reconnected the fan connector. I am getting a P0480 code, fan 1 control circuit. Any ideas before I bring it to the stealership on Monday?

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
The other night as I was in rush hour traffic, I noticed that my coolant temp was rising over 200F. It kept rising so I pulled over to check it out. It only reached 210F, but since I upgraded my radiator last year, I haven't seen anything over 200F. As it turns out my fan won't turn on. I have replaced 2 fuses and the relay, reset the ECU, and reconnected the fan connector. I am getting a P0480 code, fan 1 control circuit. Any ideas before I bring it to the stealership on Monday?

Is that when the fan activates? @210° and you don't see more than 200°....You would have to have a OBD2 reader with the ability to do live feed data to see actual coolant temp data at that m9ment. But maybe that's why the fan isn't kicking on due to NOT hitting the Temp 210° to tell the computer to turn on the fan...food for thought.

OP
golfhack
Thread Starter #3
Thanks for the input. I forgot to add that I did run my ac full blast until the coolant showed over 210 on my Accessport. Sorry for the lack of info.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thanks for the input. I forgot to add that I did run my ac full blast until the coolant showed over 210 on my Accessport. Sorry for the lack of info.

If you did the relay...there's only one option left and it's the fan....man.

There's more to the fan system than just the fan and a relay. There are also a fan control circuit that energize that relay, and AC interlock (I believe they are all the same part, the fan controller, on this car connected at the fan shroud) which then turns the fan on.

Edit: When you said you replaced the fan relay, did you replace just the relay or the whole control circuit which has it's on relay on it?

Edit 2: Corrected some info

OP
golfhack
Thread Starter #6
Just the relay. Thanks for the info! I will see if I can get the part tomorrow.

OP
golfhack
Thread Starter #8
Didn't know there was one there. Changed one in the fuse box. Looking now.

OP
golfhack
Thread Starter #10
Yep. My build date is 09/13, so not for me. Thanks for the heads up bro.

BTW, have the part ordered [emoji3]

OP
golfhack
Thread Starter #11
Almost forgot to update this. I ordered the fan assembly from carid, pn#rf372 for $116 shipped. I couldn't find the fan controller separate from the fan, but the price wasn't bad. Installed the new controller and connected the old fan, no worky. Checked the connections, looked at the fuses no luck. Hooked up the old controller and the old fan and it freaking worked now. The controller connector on the fan side was a little bit burnt and melted so I tried the new controller and the new fan and everything works great now. Didn't know there would be an issue with using different controllers. Thanks for the help guys!