Hello and welcome to our Fiesta ST Forum community! Is this your first visit?
Register

See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

User Tag List

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
27 Likes

Thread: Keep ST and mod or RS Focus?

Senior Member 955 Rep Points M-Sport fan's Avatar
    Ratings | Rate Transaction

Medals
    Earned First 5 Rep Points Earned First 25 Rep Points Earned First 75 Rep Points Earned First 100 Rep Points  
    City
    Solebury
    State
    PA
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2 Likes

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Quote Originally Posted by mattw View Post
    I want the AWD and power of the RS but in the body of my Fiesta. If they ever make an Fiesta RS I will be one of the first in line :).
    I will match that statement, and raise you with "selling my spare organs" in order to procure one of those!
    Magnetic 2016 Fiesta ST base model

Medals
    Earned First 5 Rep Points Earned First 25 Rep Points Earned First 75 Rep Points Earned First 100 Rep Points  
    City
    Solebury
    State
    PA
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1 Likes

Quote Originally Posted by Meowoosh View Post
    Add a front diff, get a bigger turbo, and mod to your hearts content. The FiST is the gem here. If AWD is what you want, get an STI. The RS comes nowhere close.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    The FoRS is the ONLY choice in that genre for those of us who refuse buy a Nippon name-plated ride, for whatever reasons, (and I am NOT going to get into that now! ).
    This is especially true for me since Scoobie is now at least half owned by the Nippon Giant juggernaut <-(which I DESPISE!), as much as I really like the aesthetics and 'sum of the parts' of the performance Scoobies themselves (yup, even the sedan ones which most seem to hate as compared to the hatches).

I have been waiting for ONE of the domestic nameplate companies to build a smaller, somewhat light, AWD turbo rally style car (vs. ONLY trucks) for OUR market for almost 45 years now, or ever since I first became obsessed with the WRC. (The Mopar badged DiamondStars DO NOT COUNT!)

That, plus given the Blue Oval's rally heritage (which goes back MUCH further than ANY of the Nippon manufacturers'), would have me taking the Ford product over the foreign competition's EVERY TIME, NO MATTER WHAT!

Also DO NOT agree with you on the "nowhere close" thing, as the RS is at least the Scoobie's equal, if not it's better.

0%
    Rate Transaction

Medals

City
    Forest Grove
    State
    OR
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My wife traded her fist in on a focus rs and she has never looked back. I have a normal fiesta and i will be trading it in in a st at some point this year(tired of 5 gears and highway speeds.) She loves her RS and it is a blast to drive but I don't like the recaro's after about a 1-1.5 hours. They fit her perfect though. but that's about my only gripe about the car.
    2015 Mustang Ecoboost Premium Performance Package
    2016 Ford Fiesta ST Base
    2013 Scion IQ
    2015 Harley Davidson Iron 883
    2015 Harley Davidson Street 750

New Member 32 Rep Points Ford ST's Avatar
    0%
    Rate Transaction

Medals
    Earned First 5 Rep Points Earned First 25 Rep Points  
    City
    Pleasant Garden
    State
    NC
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1 Likes

Fiesta ST for sure. $300 a month car payments, and a extra $35 a month for my insurance fairly cheap to maintain. RS $600 plus in car payments, whatever the insurance would be, tires are much more expensive, and burns a lot more gas. And I'll be honest when it comes to that type of money it would have to be something with a V8 in it, I'm addicted to the sound of a V8 Mustang with a good exhaust.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Medals
    City
    Solebury
    State
    PA
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^^WHAT kind of insurance do you have for $35.00/month, is it the absolute lowest required by NC law, combined with the highest deductibles possible (or don't you even have collision/comprehensive on it?)?

I understand everything is less down 'thar', but I am almost 63, with a PERFECT record for 15+ years, decent credit score, in a low risk area, and I pay ~$103.00/month, but for 100K/300K liability, 100K/300K underinsured, and uninsured, 10K each person medical, and $250.00 deductible on both collision and comprehensive.

New Member 32 Rep Points Ford ST's Avatar
    0%
    Rate Transaction

Medals
    City
    Pleasant Garden
    State
    NC
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by M-Sport fan View Post
    ^^^WHAT kind of insurance do you have for $35.00/month, is it the absolute lowest required by NC law, combined with the highest deductibles possible (or don't you even have collision/comprehensive on it?)?

I understand everything is less down 'thar', but I am almost 63, with a PERFECT record for 15+ years, decent credit score, in a low risk area, and I pay ~$103.00/month, but for 100K/300K liability, 100K/300K underinsured, and uninsured, 10K each person medical, and $250.00 deductible on both collision and comprehensive.
    It was an extra $35 a month on top of my two other cars with my wife, as in it only added $35 a month to my bill. We have Geico full coverage and are deductibles are on the low side. We both have 800 plus credit scores, and spotless driving records.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

New Member 7 Rep Points
    0%
    Rate Transaction

Medals
    Earned First 5 Rep Points  
    City
    South
    State
    TX
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My vote is to keep the FiST, this coming from a previous monster EVOX owner. It's all about fun factor for me though. I also have a modified MK7 GTI pushing 345 WHP, and 387 WTQ.

Both the EVO and GTI were/is fast as hell, but neither can compare to the way the FiST feels driving wise, the tossibility, and analog control it allows. U say now, that if u got the RS, you wouldn't have to modify it, but believe me, the mod bug will come back, and u will be spending more money modding the RS on top of the much higher car payments.

The only reason I would get the RS, is if I needed AWD due to location of where I lived. Having said all that, the RS is an awesome car.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Member 41 Rep Points

Medals
    City
    Suburbs
    State
    IL
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2 Likes

Having owned the FiST for 2.5 years and the RS now for about 2 months, I can say I have absolutely no regrets about trading the FiST in for the RS. I loved the FiST and it was a great little car, but the RS is on a whole other level. If you can afford it without stretching your wallet too much, then I don't think you will regret it. You might want to double check on your insurance though, I was quoted at an extra ~$20/month even when I told them it was an RS and then found out when I gave them the VIN it was much more than that (nothing crazy though, maybe closer to an extra ~40/month). The reason being is they quote you at the base model, so they basically just quoted you at what a regular Focus would be.

The ride is not harsher, that was one of my concerns but the RS (in normal and sport mode) takes bumps more smoothly than the ST did. It's not worlds better in terms of ride quality, but it is slightly better. I also have to disagree with the comments in here that the FoRS is only better when you are pushing it and the FiST is more fun at lower speeds and around corners.

In regular driving just getting from point A to point B the RS is unquestionably better, it has nicer interior, better technology (going from MFT to Sync 3), a smoother ride and it's a little more spacious. It still feels like a small car which I love and even when I'm not getting on it, it still makes me feel great and puts a smile on my face. The seats and steering wheel along with the gauge layout and positioning of the shifter just makes the car feel much more race-oriented than the ST.

You absolutely do not need to be pushing the car to 9/10ths to have fun in it. It is pretty easy to kick the back end around on that car and I've done it around a bend at ~30mph just putting my foot 4/5 into the throttle. Yes, you definitely have to be more careful driving the RS than you do the FiST, but at the same time it's not a Ferrari where you can never push it to the limits on the street. Someone made a comment about the FiST being better/more fun around corners and that is not true. Where the RS really shines is handling... it holds a 1.04 lateral G where the ST had a .92 I believe (from Car and Driver). I only kicked the back end out of my ST once on the street in the 2.5 years I owned it and I have done it twice now in two months in the RS. The headgasket issue is a serious one and I read through quite a lot of pages on the RS forum before I just made a decision to get a 2018.

Ultimately only you can answer this question and I am just sharing my experience. I loved the ST and wish I could have had both cars but I have no regrets with the RS, it is a wonderful machine.
    2015 OW Fiesta ST2
    Intake - CP-E
    Intercooler/Piping - CP-E FMIC; MBRP hot side charge pipe
    Tune - Stratified; 93 and E30
    Aesthetics - 35% tint; no-pistons dead pedal; all weather mats, XPEL clear-bra; TFB badge overlays; carbon-fiber plates; Mountune splitter

Senior Member 667 Rep Points

Medals
    City
    Lincoln
    State
    NE
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was going through the same. I had a 2016 RS picked out, and was going to trade my 2016 FiST for it, but was still going to keep my 2017 FiST. I decided against it.

My new plan is to trade my 2016 FiST for a 2018 FiST. I got a great deal on my 2016, so I’m barely even upside down with a trade, and could pay off what I owe if I sold it.

I am considering a slightly used 2018 FoRS next year, because it’ll have an LSD, and no gasket issue. That is my plan for now. Maybe you can have both: mod your FiST, and get an RS later.

Off topic: a guy I work with is selling his 2003 Mustang GT. 5 speed, black on black. It’s clean, but do I really need 3 cars? *shake my head* being an enthusiast is a disease at times lol
    2016 Kona Blue Fiesta ST- His
    2017 Magnetic Gray Fiesta ST- Hers
    2003 Mustang GT 5-speed - Whoever’s

Member 40 Rep Points OrangeFiST's Avatar
    0%
    Rate Transaction

Medals
    City
    Cotati
    State
    CA
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    I’d keep the FiST. Just my opinion but the RS looks like a catfish. Have the engine failures been addressed? I’ve heard of issues with the cylinder heads and the gaskets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nan3LURIq3k&t=127s

(Sorry if I’ve repeated anything already in this thread. I didn’t want to go thru all 4 pages.)
    Last edited by OrangeFiST; 04-16-2018 at 03:34 AM. Reason: added link
    Molten Orange - "Jelly Bean" - Recaros, Navigation, Moonroof, Rados
    Mountune Shift Kit, Cobb RMM, Boomba Shift Knob and wing risers, Boomba Symposer Delete, K&N Air Filter.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast