Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Keep ST and mod or RS Focus?

Some might think this question is a no brainier and just go for the RS. The reason i got the Fist originally was because my local dealer on the RS launch was marking the car up around $8k above msrp, so i got my deposit back. Got the Fist because of the fun factor over the Fost at the time. The RS is on another level though. The used market is pretty good on the RS, no way at this point I'm going to take the depreciation hit on a new one. Test drove a couple in the past couple weeks. Really impressed with it. The Fist is a blast to drive. But for it to be a keeper at this point it would need a little more power out of it. Do I sink money into the Fist with downpipe, tune, X37? Or just save that money for a RS? I really like the Fist though, the size, the handling, styling, kona blue is a killer color. BUT after driving the RS, its a excellent package. A package i wouldn't have to modify. The interior is also a step up in the RS which is nice. Obviously the RS payment will be more but that's not the concern, is it really worth it?

IMHO it depends on if you have Focus RS money... It's a lot of car for a lot of money.

I don't think it's worth it because I already have a fast AWD car and it didn't cost me near Focus RS money.

Have you watched a lot of videos from Matt Farah? He's had both and he's said multiple times which one he prefers and (Spoiler alert) it's not the more expensive one.

if you could get your hands on a fist with a hybrid turbo and do a test drive that would help with the decision making.
I have not driven a fist with 300 whp or an RS but from what I have read on here the fist would still put more smiles per miles on your face.

If I’m spending 60,000 on a car it won’t be a focus rs. I have a FiST and love it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
N
Thread Starter #6
Used focus RS $29-31k. Not new and they are only $40k+-. Money aside was my original question if original post was read completely.

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
Used focus RS $29-31k. Not new and they are only $40k+-. Money aside was my original question if original post was read completely.
I only sat in an RS. All the reviews (other than some engine failures) are positive, so it's a tough choice. The RS is one mean machine, but a Fiesta with 265 or more hp? That would be some balls-out fun, too. Doesn't seem like you could go wrong, either way.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
What kind of used car interest rates are you finding on loans out there?

MANY finance companies will not even give a loan for ANY used car, for ANY rate, at this point. ;)

I DID get to test drive an RS with the forged wheels, and unlike most others on here, and elsewhere (Farah), I WAS impressed, yes, despite the extra heft and size/wheelbase.
Even though it is not an "optimal" AWD system, I STILL like the idea of some power going to the rear wheels vs. just the fronts, especially on a high power turbo setup, yup even one with a front wheel limited slip.

IF I could afford one, it is what I would be driving right now, but when I did the 'sit down' at that dealership for that MSRP, NO gouge 'market adjustment' markup RS, it was going to be about an $850.00/month payment even WITH a down payment (which I did not, and still do not have), vs. the $295.00 I currently pay for the FiST with NO down payment, so a NO GO for me. [:(]

OP
N
Thread Starter #9
Around 3% thru my credit union. But mileage may vary if you have less then stellar credit.

I don't think you should ignore the issues they are having with the engines. Ford seems now to take the position that a bunch of them got Mustang head gaskets and they are replacing the gaskets and in some cases the heads. There also is apparently a fuel line issue. The engine issues do not sound trivial and might affect resale value. There is A LOT about this out there.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I don't think you should ignore the issues they are having with the engines. Ford seems now to take the position that a bunch of them got Mustang head gaskets and they are replacing the gaskets and in some cases the heads. There also is apparently a fuel line issue. The engine issues do not sound trivial and might affect resale value. There is A LOT about this out there.
TRUE, but IF Ford corrects ALL of these issues on their own dime, I personally would not have a problem with owning the car.
It's not like the Nippon import AWDs have been flawless, faultless, and infallible themselves. ;)

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Around 3% thru my credit union. But mileage may vary if you have less then stellar credit.
That's not bad at all! [thumb]

IF I could have found those kind of rates on a pre-owned loan, I might have been driving a turbo Cobalt SS right now, and paying HALF of what I am for the new FiST for a much, much shorter term.

MKVIIST

5000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
I agree, this whole head gasket issue has really got me worried about long term reliability. Also to add, your insurance will be much higher on the RS too.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
If you can lighten the RS by about 750 lbs, then definitely go for it =P
One can probably pare ~350 lbs. out of it pretty quickly, albeit NOT very inexpensively. [:(] (Sparco S-Light shell seats and carbon fiber mod 385 steering wheel, carbon hood, lightweight battery, gut EVERYTHING behind the front seats, lighter brakes and wheels/tires, IF they can be had/found/ordered at all without a sunroof(?), custom made titanium single outlet exhaust system, carbon hatch/doors (IF made), Lexan side/hatch windows, etc. LOL)

LaserWhisperer

I agree with others about the issues popping up. They shouldn't be ignored at all.
Also agree with others about the FiST being able to give more smiles per mile with a little bump in power.

If all you're looking for is big numbers and questionable reliability at a high cost, go for the RS.
If you want decent numbers, (less questionable) reliability at a low cost while still being able to chuck it into a corner without a care, stick with the FiST and drop an X47 in it

OP
N
Thread Starter #18
I agree, this whole head gasket issue has really got me worried about long term reliability. Also to add, your insurance will be much higher on the RS too.
Yes the head gasket issues was holding back for a long while. But since Ford stepped up and has now started resolving the problem I started considering this again. Now time will tell if the head gasket was the issues all this time. Insurance not a big issue, not even $20 a month more.

I agree with others about the issues popping up. They shouldn't be ignored at all.
Also agree with others about the FiST being able to give more smiles per mile with a little bump in power.

If all you're looking for is big numbers and questionable reliability at a high cost, go for the RS.
If you want decent numbers, (less questionable) reliability at a low cost while still being able to chuck it into a corner without a care, stick with the FiST and drop an X47 in it
Would need to be reliable power. Not looking for a tire shredding beast. Was looking at the x37 just to wake it up a bit.

I'm honestly torn. Yes the RS issues are still a concern as others have stated. But it is a heck of a car. I would be keeping that car for the long term, with the issues they are having will it become a problem out of warranty? Who knows.

if I had to start over I’d shell out the extra cash for an RS.

At the time of fiesta purchase they brought a sales guy to me to push the RS hard. I was already qualified for it and would’ve had the 2nd one they sold.

I regret it at times.

While I love the RS, when it comes to my personal choice, the car is just entirely to big. I am big fan of a smaller platform, and when I was looking at the FoST the side by side comparison between the FiST and my old 04 ZX5 really showed me the size differences between them. If it were me, a modded FiST all day long.