Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Rust on Rotors and brakes squeaking after 5,000 miles?

I have a Fiesta ST 2016 that I bought new and drive about 500 miles a month (5,000 miles since the car was purchased 10 months ago). The past couple of weeks I have noticed a squeaking sound when I come towards the end of a stop during light breaking. The dealership said the pads and everything else looked fine. They did say that it's possible that the small buildup of rust on the rotors could be causing the squeaking. The options I was given was to either have the rust on the rotors removed (which may not be a good idea since it would shorten the life of the rotors). I was also told the cause is probably that I am not driving the car enough and the problem may worsen because of this. However, that seems strange since cars I have driven in the past have not had this issue and they were all driven the same amount. Has anyone had similar issues or any thoughts on this? It does not seem OK that I would just have to live with brakes squeaking just because everything looks fine?

I have a Fiesta ST 2016 that I bought new and drive about 500 miles a month (5,000 miles since the car was purchased 10 months ago). The past couple of weeks I have noticed a squeaking sound when I come towards the end of a stop during light breaking. The dealership said the pads and everything else looked fine. They did say that it's possible that the small buildup of rust on the rotors could be causing the squeaking. The options I was given was to either have the rust on the rotors removed (which may not be a good idea since it would shorten the life of the rotors). I was also told the cause is probably that I am not driving the car enough and the problem may worsen because of this. However, that seems strange since cars I have driven in the past have not had this issue and they were all driven the same amount. Has anyone had similar issues or any thoughts on this? It does not seem OK that I would just have to live with brakes squeaking just because everything looks fine?
In my opinion, I would go out and drive the car harder then normal. Be heavy on the brakes and try to take some of the rust off the fun way. I currently have just over 20k on my 2016 FIST and I'm actually putting brake pads and rotors on it today after work. This is my daily driver and I put a lot of miles on the car, not all city driving either. I've never had any noise or issues from the brakes. About the only other option would be to replace the rotors and resurface the pads.

I agree with ascruggs. I spent a few months as a lot attendant for a premium used car dealership several years back and one of my duties was to take each car on a short drive every week or so to get all the fluids moving and get the rust off the brakes. Some cars seemed to build up more than others, but they all inevitably built up some rust on the rotors. A prospective buyer hearing that grinding/squealing the first time they hit the brakes could be a deal breaker. However, it usually only took one or two aggresive stops from 50ish mph to get them back to normal. There's absolutely no reason to replace anything or have the rotors resurfaced.

cxwrench

How much rust are we talking? I can't imagine it being so much that it wouldn't come off during normal driving. Mine get rusty instantly every time I wash the car. Post a pic...

Intuit

3000 Post Club
That's just surface rust and can be ignored. But you always want to do a couple of test stops with *any* vehicle that's been sitting. Of note, I had "premium" replacement rotors on my prior Ford and never saw them rust over like the Fiesta's. Based on my experiences with the motorcycle, I suspect that squeak or no-squeak is primarily a function of the brake pads. I have a new set of pads on that m-cycle and after several hundred miles, they're squeaking like they need to be replaced. Even the rear that was worn down into the back-plate wasn't as bad as these are getting. Ironically, this didn't start until after a hard-stop... possible coincidence.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Not a fan of replacing rotors, don't mind replacing pads, so bought the cheapest of the cheap organic pads. The OEM pads were on there for ~40k and were semi-metallic. Detached and transferred the OEM shim. Now that I mention it, not sure what I used, between the shim and backplate for the brake pad. Guess I'll check that next oil change.

As far as "embedding," not sure what that is. You throw them on, perform successively harder test stops under safe conditions. (don't want test your brakes in traffic) Never heard of there being anything else to it.

My pads rust over a weekend of no use in the garage. If I let the car set for a few days (3-4 or more) the car acts like the brakes are stuck sometimes. I will be replacing the rotors and pads this spring...Still trying to figure out what I am going to use, but will definitely be getting rid of the factory stuff...