Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Clutch Reccomendation

So I've picked up a Quaife LSD and figure while I've got things cracked open I would replace the flywheel and clutch. I'm looking at the Spec clutches, because that's pretty much the option. Now I'm trying to determine which clutch option is right for me, and I figured I would ask around. Have an X47R installed and am looking at meth in the future, so that's should give you guys an understanding of where I'm looking at power levels. I don't track the car, and really have no plans on doing so, and the most I really do is spirited mountain and hill driving with some gravel roads thrown in for good measure.

So bearing in mind that this is for the most part a street vehicle, what is going to give me the reliability and performance that I'm looking for in canyon carving while still give me a reasonable street vehicle at the same time, what would you folks suggest? I was looking at the Stg 3 currently, and was wondering if that would be the best bang for my buck. Looking forward to any answers or advice that can be given, thanks!

The stock clutch is your best option IMO. It is durable, last a long time (depending how you drive) and will give you the best "on street" use. If your dead set on a Spec clutch I probably wouldn't go above stage 2.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
The stock clutch is your best option IMO. It is durable, last a long time (depending how you drive) and will give you the best "on street" use. If your dead set on a Spec clutch I probably wouldn't go above stage 2.
THIS!^^^

Until there is much more competition in the clutch market for our rides, I will stick to stock, yup, even if I ever go to 300+ to the wheels. ;)

I know there are some on here who have had good luck/experiences with Spec in these cars, but they were SOOOO reviled in the LSx f-body community, that I would have a hard time trusting them for ANY platform.

OP
Hypntick
Thread Starter #4
Fair enough, and after looking at some of the horror stories that folks have had with them I'm inclined to agree. Now that being said, has anyone swapped to a lighter flywheel with the stock clutch without issues? I was also looking at the final drive replacement from Pumaspeed as well, since top speed isn't really a concern of mine as most of my fun is between 30-60 mph. I'm all for saving the cash and throwing it at a few other mods I've got left to complete on the car before I'm 100% happy with it.

Again, for drivability, stick with the dual mass. While some might like the feel and think that the car is more responsive. Unless you are a weight weenie trying to shave off a few lbs. The draw back is you get a lot of engine vibration and probably stall a lot in first. I don't think the tradeoff is worth it imo.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
The only person on here that I remember doing the higher numerical number ratio final drive r&p change is [MENTION=1650]Pete[/MENTION], but I don't think he used the Pumaspeed kit. [dunno]

Hopefully he, and the few on here who have replaced the factory dual mass flywheel with a lightweight single mass unit will come in here and give their views on these mods. ;)

Pete

Fair enough, and after looking at some of the horror stories that folks have had with them I'm inclined to agree. Now that being said, has anyone swapped to a lighter flywheel with the stock clutch without issues? I was also looking at the final drive replacement from Pumaspeed as well, since top speed isn't really a concern of mine as most of my fun is between 30-60 mph. I'm all for saving the cash and throwing it at a few other mods I've got left to complete on the car before I'm 100% happy with it.
I have a lot of video's on the Fiesta ST. Get some popcorn and enjoy. Also stock flywheel is 25 pounds so you can save a ton of weight. I had a stage 3 clutch and for it being a stage 3 it felt like a 1.5 in terms of stiffness. Although it was on or off there was not a smooth transition for taking off. The car did not like to go slow, but when it was going fast it was a blast.

[video=youtube_share;2hjuQzYLeQw]https://youtu.be/2hjuQzYLeQw[/video]

OP
Hypntick
Thread Starter #8
Thanks [MENTION=1650]Pete[/MENTION], I actually followed your turbo install when my buddy and I swapped mine out as well, so really good stuff. Watching the transmission stuff as I type this. So in your opinion based upon what type of driving I normally do, would you recommend the clutch and flywheel replacement? Really appreciate the advice and really love the videos!

Pete

If you are going to daily drive it a stage 2.5 or 2 would be better suited. If you are not tracking the stage 3 might be a pain to deal with in traffic or any stop and go situation. The flywheel with my experience I enjoyed very much. It is something I will do again when I am replacing an eventual worn out clutch on the new motor and trans I now have.

OP
Hypntick
Thread Starter #10
Awesome, thanks everyone for the replies! Have some thinking to do about everything, I just know the LSD is sitting next to my desk staring at me. Was going to wait on any transmission work, but the deal on the LSD couldn't be passed up.