Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Three knocks on startup, car has 500 miles

chrisafguy

I searched the forums and came up empty, so I figured I would post a thread. I picked up my Fiesta ST about two weeks ago, and since the day I got it I've had a knock noise when I start the car. It's three or four quick knocks that I can feel in the pedals and through the shift lever. I don't have a Ford dealer terribly close to me, so getting it to one isn't convenient, coupled with my hours at work. Has anyone else experienced this, and what was the fix? The knocks only happen when I start the car, and no other time.

I searched the forums and came up empty, so I figured I would post a thread. I picked up my Fiesta ST about two weeks ago, and since the day I got it I've had a knock noise when I start the car. It's three or four quick knocks that I can feel in the pedals and through the shift lever. I don't have a Ford dealer terribly close to me, so getting it to one isn't convenient, coupled with my hours at work. Has anyone else experienced this, and what was the fix? The knocks only happen when I start the car, and no other time.
Does it sound like the engine is bashing against the firewall? Could be a bad engine or transmission mount and the engine is bucking when it starts, though I would expect that you would hear similar noise using hard shifts as well if that were the case.

Either way I would bring it into the dealership if its under warranty, dont want to risk trying to fix it yourself and have them blame you when you try and bring it in.

KnockOff

1000 Post Club
Mine does a few audible knocks on start up but nothing I feel through the car for sure. To me its that brief second till oil makes its rounds. Check oil lvl and maybe try a 5-30 instead of the 20.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

green_henry

1000 Post Club
I noticed the same thing. Two things resolved it: Mountune RMM + Mountune exhaust hangers (while I love Mountune products, I don't think the brand is particularly important in this case)

dmb

take it back to the dealer a.s.a.p. call them first they might send a tow truck and bring you a loaner. new cars can have big problems and you might get a new car replacement. you don't want a lemon[bad car]

KnockOff

1000 Post Club
Mine are very quiet though and I have almost 90k miles.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Sounds like an engine mount or/and exhaust. Modified exhausts do have problems with fitment. On manual shifts in particular, engine mounts can be damaged by poor and abusive driving.

Mine had a knock on startup. It would last a few seconds, and happened especially on cold starts. It was an HVAC blend door actuator, a common problem that the dealer fixed under warranty. The noise came from behind the dash. I never felt anything in the pedals are shifter though, so you might have a different problem.

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
At 500 miles, you probably haven't been beating on it. I'm guessing it's a motor mount, too. A few people have had side mounts break. May be defective or not installed right. Take it in ASAP. Hopefully, that's all it is.