Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Can a car learn two sets of TPMS sensors?

Can a Fiesta learn two sets of TPMS sensors so that I don’t have to re-learn when I swap back and forth between street and track wheels? Thanks

Nope, you've got re-learn whenever you swap. Although, do you need TPMS on the second set if you're only using them @ the track?

LaserWhisperer

Nope, you've got re-learn whenever you swap. Although, do you need TPMS on the second set if you're only using them @ the track?
I'd guess he doesn't NEED them, but wouldn't you like to have a notification if one of your tire is losing air while you're at 79mph on the back straight?

I'd guess he doesn't NEED them, but wouldn't you like to have a notification if one of your tire is losing air while you're at 79mph on the back straight?
Point taken, but you also have to drive for about an hour out of range of the first set before you can learn the second set (in my experience at least). So if you're swapping wheel at the track, you're probably not going to get the chance to re-learn anyway. YMMV =)

OP
Gone in 60
Thread Starter #5
I don't need them, but they're already there. I just got a new set of Sparcos with Firehawk tires, which are going to be my daily drivers. Since these have new TPMS sensors, I just ordered a TPMS19 tool to program them. I just took off my old wheels and OEM Bridgestones and am going to relegate that set to track duty until those tires are shot. I figured as long as the OEM set has the original TPMS sensors, I might as well use them during track days for safety. I was just hoping that the car would "learn" both sets so I wouldn't have to program them each time I swap.

Sparcos and Firehawks? Excellent choice...

Yeah, just keep in mind it takes at least 45min of driving after you switch for the TPMS system to fault so you can switch sensors. It's a pain.

OP
Gone in 60
Thread Starter #7
Nice! Heard a lot of good things about the Firehawks. Just put them on and got the TPMS light on the way to work this morning.

OP
Gone in 60
Thread Starter #8
I went with the Trofeo 4 black/dark machine look that's on clearance on Tire Rack. This isn't the best photo, as the sun is going down, but I wanted a different look, and so far I like these. I also wanted something easier to clean than my Ford Racing 15 spokes, which have my old Bridgestones on them. Before I put these on, I pulled my rotors and repainted them so my brakes wouldn't look sloppy behind these very thin-spoked wheels. At first I thought the blue/white "Sparco Trofeo" decal on the rim portion was a bit much, but it matches my blue rocker stripes, so I might not pull them off just yet.

Attachments

The decals aren't too noticeable. I ended up losing mine when I had them powdercoated.

KKaWing

You just need the trigger, it's pretty cheap from rock auto, local dealers may even sell it for cheaper. You do not have to wait the 45 minutes to program them. You can enter the swap sensor mode without the prompt.

And just to plaster this everywhere, here's the procedure to enter training mode for a different set of TPMS sensors.

From off...

1. Brake once, then turn the car on without turning on the engine, then off... on... off... on. (5 presses of the start button)

2. Brake once again, then off... on... off... on... off... on... and you'll get a honk. (6 presses of the start button)

3. Grab the trigger and go to the front drivers wheel, point the arrow to the bottom of the valve stem (I found that works best) and press the button. It will honk when that wheel is trained. The proceed to passenger front, passenger rear and drivers rear. It will double honk at the last wheel to indicate training complete.

OP
Gone in 60
Thread Starter #11
That’s easy enough. Ordered the tool yesterday. Thanks!

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
And just to plaster this everywhere, here's the procedure to enter training mode for a different set of TPMS sensors.

From off...

1. Brake once, then turn the car on without turning on the engine, then off... on... off... on. (5 presses of the start button)

2. Brake once again, then off... on... off... on... off... on... and you'll get a honk. (6 presses of the start button)

3. Grab the trigger and go to the front drivers wheel, point the arrow to the bottom of the valve stem (I found that works best) and press the button. It will honk when that wheel is trained. The proceed to passenger front, passenger rear and drivers rear. It will double honk at the last wheel to indicate training complete.
This is a helpful summary, but I had one difference with it. I believe a double honk at the last wheel means the training procedure WAS NOT successful.

KKaWing

Maybe year to year difference? There's a quick text bubble that looks like the sport mode bubble when training which tells you which wheel to train and if it was successful or not.

OP
Gone in 60
Thread Starter #14
Yeah, the procedure took about two minutes, no biggie..

You just need the trigger, it's pretty cheap from rock auto, local dealers may even sell it for cheaper. You do not have to wait the 45 minutes to program them. You can enter the swap sensor mode without the prompt.

From off...

Then you get 30 extra lives.