Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Why do you mod your car?

Hello all, just sitting around thinking about why we mod our cars. I personally mod mine for the fun of it. I like working on things and seeing how making changes to a vehicle play into the overall performance as a whole. I understand that anything invested into a car (unless it is a very valuable car) is pretty much a loss at the end of the day, but I say there could be worse hobbies.

Just curious as to what others think. I sometimes sit back and think why do I want to potentially sling 5K worth of mods on a car that was only 20K new? Sometimes that is hard to wrap my head around and I feel that if I am going dump that kind of $$$ into it, why did I not just buy an already quick/fast car. At the end of the day I guess it is all about the fun of it for me anyway.

Anyone care to share why we like to mod our cars the way we do?

Thanks for looking [rockon]

Truth in Ruin

1000 Post Club
We mod because more is not enough.

Also, it’s not a complete waste of money to mod your car if you can sell the parts later on.

I’m modding just one FiST and leaving the other stock, so I can enjoy the differences :)

Because I can’t leave anything alone. My wife’s current Honda CRV is the only car I have no interest in doing anything to but maintenance. Faster, louder, just an addiction I guess for both my cars and bikes.

Personalization. While we're all given the same choice of car(s) and selection of mod brands, the mixing and matching of what's available to us make each of our ownerships unique.

I try to show my taste and sense of design through my mods, as the car is an extension of my personality and character.

I'm modding mine because this is my first project car/stick shift. It's been a great way for me to actually learn about different parts of the engine.

It's also been a great way for me to multiply the estimated time of install by 4 when I look at guides.

BRGT350

1000 Post Club
I modify my car for a number of reasons. One is to be different. I have no interest in having a car that looks like another. Second is I enjoy the personal rewards of researching, installing, and experiencing the difference from a modification. Third is because I enjoy doing mechanical things. A chance to get away from a computer, cubicle, email, meetings, memos, homework, and text messages is wonderful therapy. I get to step away from the terrible digital world and get my hands dirty doing something on the far opposite end of the spectrum. Lastly, I enjoy sitting back and looking at what I have accomplished.

I don't modify for likes on Instagram, to be Facebook famous, gain sponsors, win trophies, be popular, or to follow the latest trends. I do it because I love it.

Personalization like stated above and to turn a stock car into what I want it to be. I’ve never driven a perfect stock car before. Whether it’s looks or performance, everything needs tweaking to what I perceive as better.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Hello all, just sitting around thinking about why we mod our cars. I personally mod mine for the fun of it. I like working on things and seeing how making changes to a vehicle play into the overall performance as a whole. I understand that anything invested into a car (unless it is a very valuable car) is pretty much a loss at the end of the day, but I say there could be worse hobbies.

Just curious as to what others think. I sometimes sit back and think why do I want to potentially sling 5K worth of mods on a car that was only 20K new? Sometimes that is hard to wrap my head around and I feel that if I am going dump that kind of $$$ into it, why did I not just buy an already quick/fast car. At the end of the day I guess it is all about the fun of it for me anyway.

Anyone care to share why we like to mod our cars the way we do?

Thanks for looking [rockon]
I always tell my BAE....it keeps me out of the bars....keeps me from becoming an alcoholic or a drug addict. It's my vice....I don't really buy anything else unless it's a stupid T-shirt...stuff for my Dog or my fun vehicles*...I wanna enjoy what I drive...not dread what I drive.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Dpro

6000 Post Club
One of the main reasons from the getgo for me is because PERFORMANCE! Lol ya I shouted that. When I got into cars the cars I got into needed more!
The more you modded them the faster they got, the quicker around corners . Etc.. Of course somewhere along the way looks came into play as well. Of course some visual mods did aid Performance as long as they were not overdone.
Though it was always for function, most of the time. Lol

OP
spdkills83
Thread Starter #11
I always tell my BAE....it keeps me out of the bars....keeps me from becoming an alcoholic or a drug addict. It's my vice....I don't really buy anything else unless it's a stupid T-shirt...stuff for my Dog or my fun vehicles*...I wanna enjoy what I drive...not dread what I drive.

HAHA Preach lol, that is what I say about my hobbies also to my significant other.

I think modding is important to keep the car fun. Sure you could buy a faster car but the excitement always flatlines at some point. When I first got my car I was blown away by its power and agility. Now after a few months I have gotten a lot more comfortable with it and more confident in my ability to handle it but I want some more straight line power so I'm going to mod it in hopes of beating one of those new camrys off the line [?|]

It's the process that's rather addicting. The process of identifying a certain something in your vehicle that could be "improved" from factory, doing the research/hunting for a valid solution, then actually doing the install. The satisfaction from your fix totally fuels the next one and the cycle continues. Plus most of us are dudes. Dudes like things. Complicated things!

I know its not quite the same but whenever someone questions the insanity of modding cars i relate it to someones house. The same reasons someone paints their front door, renovates a kitchen, or puts in a swimming pool. It makes something your spending your time and money on more enjoyable for yourself, weather its for looks, laughs or functionality.

I have always been into making things more effective or efficient whether with car, motorcycles, my budget, my house, etc. I can't think of anything I own or do that I haven't modified in some way. Problem is I just like cars more than everything else.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I have always been into making things more effective or efficient whether with car, motorcycles, my budget, my house, etc. I can't think of anything I own or do that I haven't modified in some way. Problem is I just like cars more than everything else.
I definitely don't like modifying my dishwasher or ironing board that's for sure. No pleasure in that...now my car on the other hand....