Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

So Mountune AP package for $589 a great starting point? Also octane Q's...

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Getting my new '17 FiST delivered in the next day or so and want to do some basics immediately. Apparently the Mountune package is cheaper and better included tune than the Cobb package, does this sound like a perfect starting point and maybe add a Stratisfied tune later? Also, how much lee-way is there with the octane in these tunes? I'm in the Northwest and we get 92 octane premium, would I really get a lot of knock if used a 93 tune? Or should I add a little octane booster before filling up and calling it good? Sure, I can get multiple files of 91 and 93 octane for the AP right? But no one does 92 specifically I believe so it would have to be a custom tune? Any thoughts appreciated in advance!

felopr

i would avoid the Mountune branded AP, because they are generally locked and only mountune can use them.
I know this was before, i dont know if they are still doing it now

OP
danbfree

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #3
i would avoid the Mountune branded AP, because they are generally locked and only mountune can use them.
Interesting, so no adding Stratisfied or other tunes, you are literally stuck using only theirs? I hear they are better than Cobb OTS tunes... I suppose I could just get the AP from Stratisfied and it includes their tune for free too, otherwise Mountune includes upgraded motor mount and drop in for $89 but could buy those separately, maybe just inserts for the mount, hmm.

What is included with that package? an AP alone is just $500, and like Quisp said, if you buy it from them then you get a custom tune.

OP
danbfree

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #6
That's the MP215 or 230. You can buy a standard AP from mountune and get a custom Randy Nobles tune.
I don't think this one I'm talking about is the full MP215, it's just the AP, drop in and motor mount, I think the full MP215 is a bit different but this package does include the Mountune tune by Randy...

Edit: OK, so the MP215 is the Ford approved package with intake, etc. and costs $1000 (I'm assuming as it's more warranty friendly) but I figure this other package would be a great start especially considering you get to customize your tune with them for 45 days.

OP
danbfree

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #7
What is included with that package? an AP alone is just $500, and like Quisp said, if you buy it from them then you get a custom tune.
You also get the drop in and motor mount for only another $89, so I figured it was a perfect place to start...

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
The MP215 "warranty friendly" (still not approved for '17s) tune is locked. They sell other APs that aren't. I'm assuming the OP bought the latter. In that case, you can load all kinds of custom tunes on it.

OP
danbfree

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #9
The MP215 "warranty friendly" (still not approved for '17s) tune is locked. They sell other APs that aren't. I'm assuming the OP bought the latter. In that case, you can load all kinds of custom tunes on it.
Yep, not going for that one, just the "FB1" package, still deciding as I take delivery of the car tonight or tomorrow... I assume that's what you mean, the non-MP215 isn't locked, and you get free custom tunes included for 45 days.

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
Yep, not going for that one, just the "FB1" package, still deciding as I take delivery of the car tonight or tomorrow... I assume that's what you mean, the non-MP215 isn't locked, and you get free custom tunes included for 45 days.
Yeah. Randy will work with you and give you a tune that works for the parts you have, your fuel, etc.

OP
danbfree

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #11
Thanks for the tips! I'm also getting a '17 Magnetic but with only black wheels option... and looks like you did the warranty friendly MP215, but I guess I don't really care when it's easy to just disconnect an AP anyway. :)

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
I haven't heard of anyone getting denied warranty work over a tune. I got the MP215 because it's plug-and play. Flash it, and you're done. It's enough for me.

I'm going on a road trip this summer. It'll run fine on 93 or 91.

OP
danbfree

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #13
I haven't heard of anyone getting denied warranty work over a tune. I got the MP215 because it's plug-and play. Flash it, and you're done. It's enough for me.
Well, from what I understand, that's how pretty much all the tunes work: if you just want to go OTS, you don't have to do any customizing... and I like how if you buy your AP from other than Cobb, like Mountune or Stratisfied, their OTS tunes are better than Cobb, so, it's really just plug and play as well if you want... But like I was saying, I was thinking it's a great place to start, I doubt I end up doing much customizing, I'll just go with the default options but happy knowing they are better tunes than Cobb's OTS ones...

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
Well, from what I understand, that's how pretty much all the tunes work: if you just want to go OTS, you don't have to do any customizing... and I like how if you buy your AP from other than Cobb, like Mountune or Stratisfied, their OTS tunes are better than Cobb, so, it's really just plug and play as well if you want... But like I was saying, I was thinking it's a great place to start, I doubt I end up doing much customizing, I'll just go with the default options but happy knowing they are better tunes than Cobb's OTS ones...
I think you'll be real happy with it. They know what they're doing.

I think you'll be real happy with it. They know what they're doing.
I think this is the way Iā€™m going to got also. Since this is my first car with a warranty so Iā€™m relatively new to this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alexrex20

1000 Post Club
I got my stage 1 package from Mountune and if I were going to do it again I would get it from Stratified. I don't care to ever do business with Mountune again.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
I got my stage 1 package from Mountune and if I were going to do it again I would get it from Stratified. I don't care to ever do business with Mountune again.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Why's that?