Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

2018 Fiesta ST backup camera retrofit?

jayrod1980

I just realized the 2018 FiST finally offers a backup camera. For those of us with 2016+ and Sync3 already... what do you think would be needed to get this to work, other than the camera hardware? I've always wanted to install one of those aftermarket systems, but it just looks like too much work and kind of "hacky" with regards to how the system engages. Would be nice if this were just a plug and play operation?

maestromaestro

1000 Post Club
I just realized the 2018 FiST finally offers a backup camera. For those of us with 2016+ and Sync3 already... what do you think would be needed to get this to work, other than the camera hardware? I've always wanted to install one of those aftermarket systems, but it just looks like too much work and kind of "hacky" with regards to how the system engages. Would be nice if this were just a plug and play operation?
There's literally a TON of threads on this forum and Mustang forum that cover this very topic. At the cheaper end of the spectrum, it is a $20 camera and a $20 FORSCAN enabled interface to change the codes. Another option is to spend $50 or $250 on buying a harness or a harness and programmer combo from 4DTech.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

kivnul

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
I think the OP was wondering about getting the camera + harness OEM from the 2018 catalog. I wonder as well if it will fit OK without too much modification.

youd still have to run the wiring though which is the PITA. and still have to forscan your car to enable it, which is about the trickiest thing. and buy the harness from either ford or that one place that has the 50 bucks adapter cable thingy. I'm fairly certain the ford OEM kit will be more expensive than 40-60 bucks, and youll still have to do the computer muckery or go ask the dealer to do, which not sure how that'll go.

maestromaestro

1000 Post Club
youd still have to run the wiring though which is the PITA. and still have to forscan your car to enable it, which is about the trickiest thing. and buy the harness from either ford or that one place that has the 50 bucks adapter cable thingy. I'm fairly certain the ford OEM kit will be more expensive than 40-60 bucks, and youll still have to do the computer muckery or go ask the dealer to do, which not sure how that'll go.
This ∆

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

TDavis

1000 Post Club
Part of me is still interested because I'll get the Ford parts at a good discount.

It is all pretty much a retro fit, if it doesn't come already installed. All the capability and option is there in ANY +14' year and you basically have to turn it on via ForScan. If I remember correctly, when I was looking for an OEM camera on the Fiesta Titanium, it was about $200-300 just for the camera and I had no idea if there was an existing harness that was there that I could plug just plug into. There is not. I know it seems kind of "hacky," but this is just the reality. It would have been nice if they made the ST from a Titanium model rather than an SE, but the ST is essentially a hodge-podge of different models. We have the Titanium 6.5" screen, which is why it is possible to add a camera to our cars rather than the 4" screen.

In the titanium, or the 18 FiST, does the factory option have the steering lines and distance sensors or is it simply the static lines and no sensors?

When I looked into the same thing for a focus, there was an addition module that the camera connected to and I think it might have had the parking sensors involved with it as well.