Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Drove a 2015 WRX today...

...and I was utterly unimpressed. I’ve been looking for something all whee drive to better suit Ohio winters, and after ruling out a focus rs due to price I settled on the idea of a WRX. The car itself looked great in person and on paper. That being said, the driving experience was rather lack luster. The interior, the onset of power, the “put you in your seat feeing” was all just lacking. Maybe my expeditions were too high, but compared to my base ST, the fiesta blows it away in pretty much every category except interior space and the steering wheel feel. Has anyone else had a similar experience? Was I expecting too much? I love Subaru as a brand, and I was really hoping to love the WRX. Unfortunately the experience just wasn’t there.

Damn man I constantly debate the same thing if the WRX was/is better. Glad I got my ST. Even though I’m mad I never tried anything else. Good to hear that it’s not as fun.

Truth in Ruin

1000 Post Club
This just confirms all of the FiST reviews, and why car journalists love the FiST. When it was time to buy another car, I test drove a Focus ST, and was like: “WTF?!, I guess I’m buying another FiST then.” Lol, so yeah, I kind of know the feeling.

That’s a bummer though, really, because this just means it’s going to be that much harder to find a replacement when it’s needed in the future. Maybe I’ll just buy the 2018 FiST, so I can prolong the inevitable.

neeqness

1000 Post Club
This just confirms all of the FiST reviews, and why car journalists love the FiST. When it was time to buy another car, I test drove a Focus ST, and was like: “WTF?!, I guess I’m buying another FiST then.” Lol, so yeah, I kind of know the feeling.

That’s a bummer though, really, because this just means it’s going to be that much harder to find a replacement when it’s needed in the future. Maybe I’ll just buy the 2018 FiST, so I can prolong the inevitable.
Exactly my sentiments...

But maybe the FiST will be still selling in other markets (i.e. Mexico) and we can just bring it across the border? Time will tell...

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

neeqness

1000 Post Club
I sure hope so...just yesterday it brought another smile to my face while driving to a (more distant) store and I was dreaming of my next road trip to start this year off with, now that I'm at nearly 60k miles now. Just in time for that 60k maintenance, then it's time to push it up another 5k.

Considering mine is just over two years old, I really hope that this engine is strong but I agree that it does seem to be so far...

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

That lack of the "put you in the seat feeling" is because of the twin scroll turbo in them. The power band is more linear. Having driven a 2014 wrx and 2016 STI before driving the 2015 wrx i know the exact thing you are talking about. If the STI is in your budget, you should test drive that.

I will say that I prefer my FiST over my STI which is why I got rid of it. The FiST is way more fun for a fraction of the cost.

I test drove a 17 WRX as well as the GTI and FoST before deciding on the FiST. I tried the WRX first because I really wanted an AWD car (much like the same reason as you, winter in Quebec) and the Golf R, FoRS and STi were out of my budget. I drove the WRX. It's a good car, but there was a certain fun factor that was totally missing. I REALLY wanted to love the car and I did, but I remembered when I drove a FiST some 2 years before and it was just so much more fun.

So I decided to try the others (GTI, FoST, even Veloster Turbo), could not try a FiST as there was absolutely none anywhere close by at that time. All of them were lacking something. Then I contacted a place to find me a FiST and they actually got one on a trade coming in. When to try it. I fell in love again.

I'm coming from a 12 sedan Fiesta. I loved the car, loved the driving dynamic of it, but was lacking in power. Every other car felt more engaging than the base Fiesta, but not 10k+ more engaging, while the FiST feels like it should be priced higher than the FoST for the feeling of the drive alone.

I think the comparison between the FiST and the WRX stock is a little weird. The FiST is better in the turns but the WRX is better off the line. The twin scroll turbo in the WRX gives power throughout the whole RPM range while the FiST gives you a blast of power while you're in the power band. I think the biggest aspect that needs to be considered is the desire to mod. For instance, the STi supposedly has a terrible tune that puts out similar power to the WRX but if you're gonna tune it and put a bunch of bolt-ons on it then the WRX is gonna be better in the long run.

They're both great cars but IMHO I think the Fiesta is the better car/price deal. Its way too much fun for its price and that makes other, more expensive cars look bad.

I think the comparison between the FiST and the WRX stock is a little weird. The FiST is better in the turns but the WRX is better off the line. The twin scroll turbo in the WRX gives power throughout the whole RPM range while the FiST gives you a blast of power while you're in the power band. I think the biggest aspect that needs to be considered is the desire to mod. For instance, the STi supposedly has a terrible tune that puts out similar power to the WRX but if you're gonna tune it and put a bunch of bolt-ons on it then the WRX is gonna be better in the long run.

They're both great cars but IMHO I think the Fiesta is the better car/price deal. Its way too much fun for its price and that makes other, more expensive cars look bad.
That’s the deal for what you pay it can’t be beat for fun per $$$, like many others I tried a scooby and drove my fist and a fost back to back several times and couldn’t justify more for less although the others may be faster they don’t have that go kart on steroids effect. Spend a bit on a IC / filter/flash tune and boom it’s happy days

I 100% agree. I drove the wrx because my wife works at a Subaru dealership and it really was lacking that fun factor that the FiST offers. They even have a used FoRS that's in my price range so I drove that as well. While it was definitely faster, the fun factor of the FiST just wasn't there IMO.

I 100% agree. I drove the wrx because my wife works at a Subaru dealership and it really was lacking that fun factor that the FiST offers. They even have a used FoRS that's in my price range so I drove that as well. While it was definitely faster, the fun factor of the FiST just wasn't there IMO.
I think the only thing that has been near the FiST as far as smiles per gallon was my R53 Mini Cooper. That little car was a blast to drive when I didn't have to spend money on some sort of repair!

I would trade my ST for an evo x mr if I had the willingness to pay for the insurance and gas.

Haven’t driven a wrx since they first started selling them here in the states.

For now my Fiesta is the perfect car for me.

I am going to find out, coming from a 2016 WRX, which I owned for almost 2 years. I loved the WRX, excellent handling, ride and lots of room for passengers. I also got really great gas mileage with it- 30-40. I would have preferred to get rid of my Camaro RS than my WRX but the Camaro depreciated 50% right off the lot and the WRX was worth more to cash in on so I can semi-retire.

The only issue I had with the WRX is the rev hang- it was very hard to shift 1-2 and I had to really concentrate and wait for the rev's to drop and time the shift. The ST shifts a lot better.