Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Thoughts on FiST as a first car

Lets be honest, the power to weight ratio of FiST still holds its weight. Even more so when you consider what would have been industry average just 10-20 years ago. And although safety crash testing, and all the driver feedback that was stuffed into this chassis can go a long way, it cannot prevent - or make up entirely for - user error.

Part of being a good driver is taking calculated risks. The only way to effectively do so in the long run is to drawn upon prior experience. A sense of financial responsibility goes a long way here as well.

Its a great car to learn how to be a good driver but not so much how to be car owner.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Bought my own car, saving every penny from my shipping job chucking boxes and restaurant job bussing tables. My parents were wondering what was this car parked in front of their house LoL.

The best attributes about the vehicle I bought:
0) Manual Transmission.
1) Reliable.
2) Simple SEFI SOHC 2v/cyl 4cyl engine design.
3) VERY easy to work on.

People with fast cars, often drive slow. People with slow cars, often drive fast. Think along the lines of, "the money doesn't make the man, the man makes the money." Same thing. Having a nicer quicker car isn't going to change your personality. If you're an impulsive impatient rude hot-head, you're going to be an impulsive impatient rude hot-head whether you're in an Aspire or Mustang. The vehicles do tend to attract certain personality types, but this is not a steadfast rule. (you know: judging a book by it's cover and all)

But whether you're a fast driver or slow driver isn't the issue as neither is what determines whether you score a wreck. There's a young man on the street that has managed to have at least two wrecks a year for the past few years. They're average cars, nothing special. What mostly determines whether you wreck is whether you drive according to the conditions... *ALL* conditions... from your own ability to the vehicle's ability to the condition and temperatures of the roads to visibility conditions to traffic conditions, to familiarity with the area, to knowledge of critter traffic, etcetera, etcetera, etcetera... I try to anticipate driver actions. (and not play stupid games)

A driver's primary responsibility is to imagine the worst consequences of a given action. Running up on somebody's bumper trying to get around someone? What if that person decides to break? You won't have time to stop or lane change... SMACK! They're out of work due to injury. Their bills pile up. Who helps them with their young child? Was the child in the car with them? They lost their home. WTF did you take that STUPID risk for? Was it worth it? If you know your kid won't think that far ahead, if they have to be told to think that far ahead, then that kid is not ready to drive. State tests do not test for this type of thinking... but they SHOULD. I'm a hothead at times and this type of thinking has helped keep me grounded and restrained.

alexrex20

1000 Post Club
Since you already have the FiST, it's a great choice. I would recommend a custom tune. Not exactly an economy tune that only allows 5psi, but maybe something like 15psi with a smooth power delivery. My biggest concern would be the tendency for lift-off oversteer, or the waggy butt under heavy braking. If he is an Enthusiast then maybe he already has some good seat time and good reactions from karting...?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Zormecteon

Too much car for too young UNLESS you've already had him out tracking or he's had a class in car control. Also, too many seats. I believe a two seater is a great first car for teens because they will never be turning around to talk to someone in the back seat while driving, something almost every teen will do at some time or another. ... Also .. now this is just me and not many agree, ... .. a car without safety features. Here's the why and a story. .. I had friend who insisted on getting his daughter the safest car he could find. Only a very late model with the best safety rating would do "so that if she crashes, she will be safe"... Well, of course she crashed. He set her up for it. She wound up totaling 4 cars before she was 20 years old. .. my kids got lightweight two seaters. (an MR2 and a CRX). I told them .. "If you crash, YOU DIE so don't crash." .. .. and they NEVER have. ... .. after over 10 years of driving each. ... I know, I know, you can't control what other drivers out there do, and it's a possibility that some drunk of driver not paying attention can be the cause of a fatal accident, but defensive driving helps avoid that. (only helps.. accidents DO happen)..

Back to your situation.. Get him the car IF and only IF you get him to a driving school (not drivers' training class) as if for an SCCA license.

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
My history: I started with a VW beetle, my little brother started with a 1987 mazda 626. My parents' rule was 200 bucks for a car when you turn 16, then my dad would work with us to fix them up and get them drive-able. Dad would buy parts if I didn't have the money, we kept the costs, etc. in a notebook and I did chores to work them off. I loved that beetle, because so much of me went into it. After getting the beetle running, I bought a used book "how to hot rod your VW" and used that, as well as highschool auto shop, to build a drag beetle over the course of a few years. I learned the value of work, the value of a dollar, and whether or not it was worth it to try street racing my friends.

I can say, without a doubt, if I'd had something that drove like the FiST in highschool I'd certainly have planted it into a ditch or hit someone. Yes, it's easy to drive, etc. but it's *not* a car that is going to teach you basic skills, conversely I think it would ruin you for your next car. If you want to give him an enthusiast car, look for a 240sx or something - not fast or dangerous stock, but he could put time and money into learning about it and improving it over time. He could go cosmetic, he could go performance, etc. Or you could get him a vw beetle :D - After the VW I used lawn-mowing money to buy a Fiero 2m6, and in my senior year I swapped in a cadillac v8. Fiero maintenance is much easier once you realize you lift the car off the engine, not the engine out of the car :p

I'd say get him something small and basic, and take him autocrossing. Show him that there's a proper place and time to get that anger and aggression out and have fun in a car, so he's not doing it in public.

A honda fit would be awesome, you can get great suspension and really basic power mods, and it'd be a hoot at autocross.

Im sure he would love to use this car as a first car. I would take him out and autocross or a drivers school to learn its limits but he should be fine. I don't have kids but I'm sure this is scary to a degree but every car is dangerous. Talk with him about the opportunity he has and how important he is to you and to be honest with each other

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
yeah kinda like that, but we had a stinger exhaust that was pointy like a hypodermic needle from dragging the ground on hard launches.
Also, smelled like a car fire because I didn't know that there was supposed to be something between the rear seat springs and the battery under the seat. Threw a duffel bag in the back, completed a circuit, and the rear seat was stuffed full of what amounted to dry tinder. The smell never left the car, even though I put out the fire fairly quickly. I learned how to change a fan belt while the car was running, because the battery was dead and I didn't want to bump start lol.

You really need to consider budgeting for repairs. My car has been very problematic so much so i will not buy another ford. I have 60K miles on the car and i have already spend over 3800 on repairs. You really should consider buying something from Japan. this is my first "american" car and never again.

neeqness

1000 Post Club
Personally, I think the FiST would be a good first car but mainly because you say you are an enthusiast. In the old days driving a slow beater mnual was fun. Nowadays, a slow manual compared to a lot of the faster automatics around is only fun to those people truly serious about driving manuals (and not so much to beginners).

I think a fun to drive (by todays standards) first car would be best for an "enthusiast". All teenagers have friends who compare cars. Give him a slow boring manual to start and he may soon join much of the paddle pressing, automatic sport car driving crowds...meanwhile a FiST (or other similar fun to drive entry level car) will help reinforce that feeling of driving a truly fun car without necessarily being more dangerous since it has very good traction and a fairly good ability to correct your mistakes as you make them. To me this makes a great learners car...for an enthusiast.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

DaveG99

A new driver should drive a POS car that doesnt matter if it gets scratched up. Then after about 6 months of driving get him something that is a little nicer. They will scratch up and likely have a small minor accident in their first 6 months.

OP
R
Thread Starter #32
Lot's of interesting replies here. I am surprised at the number that don't think it's a good idea. Those that don't think it is a good idea are more around reasons of earned benefit and experienced responsibility, versus the car itself being a bad choice. I do plan on having him take HPDE lessons and autocross. I see it as an entry level enthusiast platform that is good to learn with. He has experience with karts, and lots of 4-wheeler and dirt bike time, so he has some sense of mechanics and operation.

I may keep an eye out for a project car that could become a track car, or a fun street car, but not a daily. That's where I think the FiST makes the most sense for him as a daily - it is a relatively inexpensive, 4-season, practical small econo-hatch that has fun levels of performance, tech, reliability, and safety that can carry him through high school and college.

Having my third son now driving, I think the FiST is a bit much as a daily driver. My youngest now drives a 2011 Fiesta SE manual that I got cheap. He drives my FiST occasionally, usually when I am in it. He has had his license for 1 year now. One more year and he'll be ready for the FiST as a daily driver.

HBEcoBeaST

It's really up to the personality, maturity level and driving ability of your son. "Too much car" is relative and you can get into trouble with much less powerful cars, the STs bigger brakes, better handling and enough power to 'get out of it's own way' make it safer in my opinion. If you're afraid he's going to Hoon around in it then that's more the maturity level of your son than a factor of the car. I'm a 'playful' driver and this car encourages "spirited" driving. After getting my first speeding ticket(in this car) today I am debating my unnecessary need for more power. The ST can drive around town just fine, but with my E30 Stratified tune it feels a bit held back when driven slow.

I am only 30 but I realize times are different. I had to buy my own cars so my parents really didn't have a say other than no to an old VW bus for safety concerns. What made me not wreck or do really dumb things in the street was the financial responsibility. Vehicle price, maintenance, aftermarket parts,insurance, gas and any tickets came out of my pocket. It made me more responsible about what I did with my vehicles and how I drove them. I've seen too many kids wreck their parents nice cars because they don't respect them; not the cars, money or consequences.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk