Hello and welcome to our Fiesta ST Forum community! Is this your first visit?
Register

See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    0%
    Rate Transaction

Medals
    Earned First 5 Rep Points Earned First 25 Rep Points Earned First 75 Rep Points Earned First 100 Rep Points  
    City
    Dallas
    State
    TX
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1 Likes

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    A new driver should drive a POS car that doesnt matter if it gets scratched up. Then after about 6 months of driving get him something that is a little nicer. They will scratch up and likely have a small minor accident in their first 6 months.

New Member 12 Rep Points
    0%
    Rate Transaction

Medals
    Earned First 5 Rep Points  
    City
    Indianapolis
    State
    IN
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lot's of interesting replies here. I am surprised at the number that don't think it's a good idea. Those that don't think it is a good idea are more around reasons of earned benefit and experienced responsibility, versus the car itself being a bad choice. I do plan on having him take HPDE lessons and autocross. I see it as an entry level enthusiast platform that is good to learn with. He has experience with karts, and lots of 4-wheeler and dirt bike time, so he has some sense of mechanics and operation.

I may keep an eye out for a project car that could become a track car, or a fun street car, but not a daily. That's where I think the FiST makes the most sense for him as a daily - it is a relatively inexpensive, 4-season, practical small econo-hatch that has fun levels of performance, tech, reliability, and safety that can carry him through high school and college.

New Member 7 Rep Points kenweise's Avatar
    0%
    Rate Transaction

Medals
    Earned First 5 Rep Points  
    City
    N/A
    State
    MI
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Having my third son now driving, I think the FiST is a bit much as a daily driver. My youngest now drives a 2011 Fiesta SE manual that I got cheap. He drives my FiST occasionally, usually when I am in it. He has had his license for 1 year now. One more year and he'll be ready for the FiST as a daily driver.

Member 67 Rep Points HBEcoBeaST's Avatar
    0%
    Rate Transaction

Medals
    Earned First 5 Rep Points Earned First 25 Rep Points  
    City
    Huntington Beach
    State
    CA
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    It's really up to the personality, maturity level and driving ability of your son. "Too much car" is relative and you can get into trouble with much less powerful cars, the STs bigger brakes, better handling and enough power to 'get out of it's own way' make it safer in my opinion. If you're afraid he's going to Hoon around in it then that's more the maturity level of your son than a factor of the car. I'm a 'playful' driver and this car encourages "spirited" driving. After getting my first speeding ticket(in this car) today I am debating my unnecessary need for more power. The ST can drive around town just fine, but with my E30 Stratified tune it feels a bit held back when driven slow.

I am only 30 but I realize times are different. I had to buy my own cars so my parents really didn't have a say other than no to an old VW bus for safety concerns. What made me not wreck or do really dumb things in the street was the financial responsibility. Vehicle price, maintenance, aftermarket parts,insurance, gas and any tickets came out of my pocket. It made me more responsible about what I did with my vehicles and how I drove them. I've seen too many kids wreck their parents nice cars because they don't respect them; not the cars, money or consequences.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234