Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Real world experience with B14 vs spring and strut

HardBoiledEgg

1000 Post Club
I've driven sports cars my whole like but the Fiesta ride is death on rough roads (which all of SoCal is) I now have over 30k on my car and the ride has not got any better nor okay.

For the last 16k I've been on H&R Super Sports which are the lowest springs on the market with stock struts and shocks. I know this is not helping my ride at all so now with tax taxes I'm looking to finally fix this problem. My original choice was the B8 combo cause the shorter stroke should help in the ride department. But I'm in the springs $125 and the shocks and struts would be around $600 shipped. For that total I'm like ~$250 off my B14 kit I originally wanted for this car.

But I hear mixed reviews on both set ups. Some claim this is more good with bumps and so on. To me the B14 sounds more comfortable since the springs and struts are meant for eachother so that is what helps ride no? Shocks and struts being properly valves for a specific springs help with harshness?

Anybody went one to the other? And if love coils but that's out the budget unfortunately

If you’ve got the $$ I would go B14 as you said they are a matched set which in theory should be better. I’m on B8/swift combo on 205/45/16’s contis and it’s way better than stock but it still thuds and bounces a bit particularly if I’m low on gas.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Perhaps look at Koni over Bilstein in SoCal. Koni's tend to perform better on rough surfaces than Bilsteins IMO. I have run Koni's in other cars on SoCal roads for years and been quite happy.
P.S. If you go Koni get Yellows or above do not bother with Orange SRT's

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I was considering the B14s myself, but have decided against them after speaking to Bilstein tech yesterday.

Reason being that I DEMAND a linear spring, rough roads be DAMNED, and the B14s arrive with a progressive spring only.
When I asked tech IF the progressives could be replaced with a linear spring of a close/similar rate to the fully compressed rate of their progressive, he suggested AGAINST that due to the precise valving curve of those dampers to the supplied progressive spring's rate. [:(]

Now, for your use, and worry about ride comfort on bad roads, they may be the proverbial 'bee's knees', but then WHY do you need a coil over type setup anyway, over just slightly lowered progressive springs on B8s or Koni Sports? [dunno]

(YES, they DO have that sweet corrosion resistant plating on them, but in SoCal that is 'fluff' anyway. ;) )

OP
H

HardBoiledEgg

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #5
I don't need coils that's why it's not even an option

I only run Feal custom built and valved coils and I'm not looking to spend 1600 again with a new car

This car likely will never see track time. I'm looking for comfort here. Seems nobody has tried both set ups

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
When I think of "custom built and valved" coil overs, especially independently adjustable 3 or 4 way setups, I am thinking $16K, NOT $1600.00. ;) [???:)]

My guess is that the B14s would be very similar in ride quality to the B8s with one of the lower rate range progressive springs available for our car.

I forgot to ask the tech IF the B14's dampers were valved similar to the B6/B8, but he DID confirm that the B6 and B8 were valved identically, and the only difference was their respective travel lengths.
He also stated that those two damper's valving WILL readily handle a linear rate spring, unlike the B14s.

Being located where you are, the corrosion/pitting on the adjuster threads, preventing them from turning, is not even an issue, so you don't have THAT to worry about, as all of us in the winter 'salt soup' areas must.

B8s can be found closer to $400 if you shop around, but the rears for sure are on national backorder for a few more weeks.

OP
H

HardBoiledEgg

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #8
I'm leaning towards B14 cause honestly the Super Sports are way too low for any function. I rub constantly on the front and inside the fenders. Don't get me started on the bump steer problems

B14 should raise my car some so I can fit my 215 40 17s cause I'm in need of tires too

But again......B8 for 400 I'm in it 500 vs 850ish. So that's a huge gap now

I'm leaning towards B14 cause honestly the Super Sports are way too low for any function. I rub constantly on the front and inside the fenders. Don't get me started on the bump steer problems

B14 should raise my car some so I can fit my 215 40 17s cause I'm in need of tires too

But again......B8 for 400 I'm in it 500 vs 850ish. So that's a huge gap now
There's also been a handful of people asking about the H&R Super Sports so you could always sell them and pick up a set of used Mountune/Cobb/Eibach's to pair with the B8's or if you can find some used Swift's, go that route.

OP
H

HardBoiledEgg

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #10
Not going to write a full review but let me bring this back from the dead

I drive Uber/Lyft full time. Most of my time through the shitty LA roads. Over 300 miles a night

The B14 kit I got are night and day. OMG. It's like the car actually has suspension now and not pogo sticks. And once your even on smooth roads you can feel the difference

Problem now is this little bird noise in the back right side that is making me want to kill myself

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Not going to write a full review but let me bring this back from the dead

I drive Uber/Lyft full time. Most of my time through the shitty LA roads. Over 300 miles a night

The B14 kit I got are night and day. OMG. It's like the car actually has suspension now and not pogo sticks. And once your even on smooth roads you can feel the difference

Problem now is this little bird noise in the back right side that is making me want to kill myself
[offtopic] I know but, Uber/Lyft allow manual cars to be part of their service?

Dpro

6000 Post Club
[offtopic] I know but, Uber/Lyft allow manual cars to be part of their service?
Yes they do why would they not? Lol is there some inherent problem with driving people around in a manual. I personally know drivers have gotten compliments for driving manuals from Lyft passengers. I would assume it would be same from Uber passengers.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Yes they do why would they not? Lol is there some inherent problem with driving people around in a manual. I personally know drivers have gotten compliments for driving manuals from Lyft passengers. I would assume it would be same from Uber passengers.
I am NOT saying it is justified, but with 99.99% of this country used to (somewhat) 'smooth' slushboxes, they might have thought the risk of an 'unsteady' manual driver not helpful for their 'corporate image'? [dunno]

Besides, I thought I had heard this rule/requirement somewhere along the line, or was that a minimum vehicle size requirement I am confusing it with?
Is there anything that is actually a car/SUV/CUV etc. that they will not allow?

OP
H

HardBoiledEgg

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #14
I get complements on it a couple times a night

Fixed the noise. Man I'm in love right now

Dpro

6000 Post Club
I am NOT saying it is justified, but with 99.99% of this country used to (somewhat) 'smooth' slushboxes, they might have thought the risk of an 'unsteady' manual driver not helpful for their 'corporate image'? [dunno]

Besides, I thought I had heard this rule/requirement somewhere along the line, or was that a minimum vehicle size requirement I am confusing it with?
Is there anything that is actually a car/SUV/CUV etc. that they will not allow?
Ya no, no tranission requirement. Age of car requirements i.e. not older than 2005; except Uber has some funny exceptions. Also at least on Lyft it must have at least 4 doors and be a le to seat 4 people or more besides the driver.