Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

EASIEST way to boost octane just a little

Yep, e10 is pretty standard we just get the weird tweener octane of 92 up here, so I could simply have them put .8 gallon of e85 and the rest e10 92 octane and be under e85 total, I'll adjust according to my starting fuel level.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
I have an e30 tune currently. I use the E85 Mix Calculator on my droid phone to calculate how much E85 to fill. I think i paid $.99 for it. It helps when I have fuel in the tank to see how much I will need. Obviously without knowing how much ethanol the unleaded fuel has and how much the E85 mix has you can only make estimates. So far I haven't had any issues with this method.

OP
danbfree

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #22
I have an e30 tune currently. I use the E85 Mix Calculator on my droid phone to calculate how much E85 to fill. I think i paid $.99 for it. It helps when I have fuel in the tank to see how much I will need. Obviously without knowing how much ethanol the unleaded fuel has and how much the E85 mix has you can only make estimates. So far I haven't had any issues with this method.
Well, using the calculator here: http://www.wallaceracing.com/ethanol-mix-calc.php - I know if I'm low but still have a little bit then I can go with 10 gallons of e10 92 octane with 0.7 gallon of e85 to get e15 and be at roughly 93 octane... I mean, ya, if you really want to get an exact amount if you don't want to guess, but I can always drop it to a half gallon of e85 with 8 gallons of e10 92 if I still have a quarter tank, for example...

OP
danbfree

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #25
http://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/...trate-for-tuning!!?highlight=RACE+CONCENTRATE

Linked is [MENTION=3995]jeff[/MENTION] review of race gas concentrate. I don't know about oregon 92 octane, but washington 92 works just fine with the standard 93 tunes from cobb.
See, I was wondering this, but was afraid of misfires or knock or whatever, and I'm almost positive they both states 92 is identical so that's good to hear! I wonder about tunes more aggressive than Cobb like Mountune and Sratified...

kivnul

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
See, I was wondering this, but was afraid of misfires or knock or whatever, and I'm almost positive they both states 92 is identical so that's good to hear! I wonder about tunes more aggressive than Cobb like Mountune and Sratified...
Stratified told me that their base 93 tune works fine on 92 (And it does run fine on my car, though they gave me a couple revisions which made the timing even more aggressive. No knocks, Costco 92)

Edit: Dug up the email -
"Hi Kivnul,

Yes the 92 in your state is really good; it’s basically equivalent to 93 in other states.

Regards,
Cyrus Ang, B. Eng.
Mechanical/Calibrations Engineer
Stratified Calibration Team"

Last edited:
Same here--no issues at all, running a Strat or Dizzy 93 octane tune, here in western Oregon, using Top Tier 92 Octane. No neg. ignition correction, no knock. Did 5 WOT pulls, yesterday, using the 93 Strat tune, and the logs look good. A hot summer day might produce different results, but no probs this time of year.

OP
danbfree

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #29
Stratified told me that their base 93 tune works fine on 92 (And it does run fine on my car, though they gave me a couple revisions which made the timing even more aggressive. No knocks, Costco 92)

Edit: Dug up the email -
"Hi Kivnul,

Yes the 92 in your state is really good; it’s basically equivalent to 93 in other states.

Regards,
Cyrus Ang, B. Eng.
Mechanical/Calibrations Engineer
Stratified Calibration Team"
THANK YOU for this awesome exact info I needed! I run the Costco Top Tier as well (which I'm preeeety sure is Arco, which is decent Top Tier now), but especially that you have confirmed that our 92 in the PNW is actually underrated and can take an even more aggressive tune... You think I should try the 94 octane option? Does the AP give knock counts or whatnot like a Torque app would?

OP
danbfree

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #30
Same here--no issues at all, running a Strat or Dizzy 93 octane tune, here in western Oregon, using Top Tier 92 Octane. No neg. ignition correction, no knock. Did 5 WOT pulls, yesterday, using the 93 Strat tune, and the logs look good. A hot summer day might produce different results, but no probs this time of year.
Awesome this is good to know!

anticon

I have been wondering about this too, but I figured it would be kind of awkward with the gas attendants and having to carry around 3 gallons or so of E85. Then pull up to the pump, dump it in, then have the gas attendant come over and top it off with 92. There is a place in Aurora called Jay's Garage that sells E85, not sure of any others in the area.

kivnul

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
... You think I should try the 94 octane option? Does the AP give knock counts or whatnot like a Torque app would?
If you take a data log with the AP you can look at when it knocks after the fact. I do not know if you can setup a monitor to show it in real time. I do not know of any off the shelf 94 octane tunes. I would recommend that you talk to your tuner about what your setup is, including fuel so that you get a tune that fits your circumstances.

OP
danbfree

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #33
If you take a data log with the AP you can look at when it knocks after the fact. I do not know if you can setup a monitor to show it in real time. I do not know of any off the shelf 94 octane tunes. I would recommend that you talk to your tuner about what your setup is, including fuel so that you get a tune that fits your circumstances.
Right on, thank you... but ya, Mountune offers a 94 tune right in their AP ordering drop down menu now, makes it nice and easy!

Attachments

KnockOff

1000 Post Club
The ap will show knock counts on any cylinder you choose or all 4 of them.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk