Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

EASIEST way to boost octane just a little

danbfree

3000 Post Club
OK, so where I live we have 92 octane at the pump and I want to run 93 octane tunes and if I travel to California, like I likely will, I can always use a bit more, but what product is inexpensive and readily available that I could add a little when I go to fill up? Sorry if this is sounds like a stupid question, I know there are all kinds of octane boosters and whatnot out there, just hoping for some personal recommendations. Thanks!

ron@whoosh

3000 Post Club
Vendor
Premium Account
I'll second this (or third?)
Was using this in PA where E85 was not available

and this was easier to acquire than the Torco equivalent

OP
danbfree

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #6
I just took delivery of the car last night and I'm almost positive it was filed with Regular, but can't really tell.. it seems really zippy to me coming from a similar motored vehicle that was a little heavier, I wonder how high octane the stock tune will see gains, I know it's rated for 93...

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
I just took delivery of the car last night and I'm almost positive it was filed with Regular, but can't really tell.. it seems really zippy to me coming from a similar motored vehicle that was a little heavier, I wonder how high octane the stock tune will see gains, I know it's rated for 93...
It will run on regular, but it makes more power with premium.

I'll second this (or third?)
Was using this in PA where E85 was not available

and this was easier to acquire than the Torco equivalent
My friends were ordering Torco from Amazon at the time. Half of them have since swapped to E85(Flex Fuel kit and tune) since its becoming easier to get in SoCal. I'm lucky enough that there is an E85 station 3 miles from my house.

I vote for using Torco, I have been running it daily. Add 10 OZ before filling up and it boosts your octane to 93 ( I forgot the exact calculations but somewhere around there). I picked up a 11 0z MSR Fuel bottle which I refill and keep in my trunk. Car runs noticeable stronger on this vs 91 (MP215 Tune).

OP
danbfree

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #11
It will run on regular, but it makes more power with premium.
Of course, on stock tune it will adjust all the way down to 87 octane and make like 185HP, but I'm talking AP tunes I'd like to be consistent and use a 93+ octane tune to help max out the performance...

OP
danbfree

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #12
I vote for using Torco, I have been running it daily. Add 10 OZ before filling up and it boosts your octane to 93 ( I forgot the exact calculations but somewhere around there). I picked up a 11 0z MSR Fuel bottle which I refill and keep in my trunk. Car runs noticeable stronger on this vs 91 (MP215 Tune).
OK, this is good to know... strangely we get 92 octane up here in Oregon but like to road trip down to SoCal once in a while, so I'll keep an eye out for Torco then, especially since the little bit of octane difference really seem to count with this motor!

OP
danbfree

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #14
Is there no E85 near you?
Yep, I believe there is plenty and in fact there is E0 available as well, which is where I lean more towards being in the camp that feels you either tune for mostly ethanol or avoid it and I don't want to convert to FlexFuel...

Edit: Here is a calculator I found: http://www.wallaceracing.com/ethanol-mix-calc.php

with a 12.4 gallon tank and assuming it's really low and needs 12 gallons, using 1 gallon of e85 with 11 gallons of e10 would net me 93 octane e16...

Last edited:

alexrex20

1000 Post Club
There is no conversion needed. All you do is get an E30 tune with your accessport and then when you get fuel you put in a few gallons of E85 and then top off the rest with 92.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

OP
danbfree

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #16
There is no conversion needed. All you do is get an E30 tune with your accessport and then when you get fuel you put in a few gallons of E85 and then top off the rest with 92.
I'll have to look into this more, but e15 is as high as you are supposed to be safe to run and I think it may just be one of those ideological differences where I think e85 or e0 is the best way to go... I've had 2 GDI-T cars before this and they both ran much better on e0 than a mix at all... But yes, I could try a gallon of e85 along with my 92 and I wouldn't be above e15 I think, I'll have to run the numbers...

I'll have to look into this more, but e15 is as high as you are supposed to be safe to run...
I'm curious about this. Any tuners want to chime in? Is there a risk to using more ethanol than that on say a 93 tune, or is it just that you will not see the benefit of a true e30 tune? And I don't mean doing it all the time, but just to boost octane for a track day or something.

I'll have to look into this more, but e15 is as high as you are supposed to be safe to run and I think it may just be one of those ideological differences where I think e85 or e0 is the best way to go... I've had 2 GDI-T cars before this and they both ran much better on e0 than a mix at all... But yes, I could try a gallon of e85 along with my 92 and I wouldn't be above e15 I think, I'll have to run the numbers...
E15 is the factory tune(Warrantied etc...). I don't know about Oregon, but in CA there is roughly 10% of ethanol in our 91 octane fuel. I'm pretty sure this is why Ford rates the warrantied amount of ethanol to 15%. I could be wrong of course, I read the information about ethanol content but don't remember where lol.

OP
danbfree

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #19
E15 is the factory tune(Warrantied etc...). I don't know about Oregon, but in CA there is roughly 10% of ethanol in our 91 octane fuel. I'm pretty sure this is why Ford rates the warrantied amount of ethanol to 15%. I could be wrong of course, I read the information about ethanol content but don't remember where lol.
Yep, e10 is pretty standard we just get the weird tweener octane of 92 up here, so I could simply have them put .8 gallon of e85 and the rest e10 92 octane and be under e15 total, I'll adjust according to my starting fuel level.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk