Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Electronic boost controller?

Hi Guys,
im building my own gtx 2860R gen2 project and i am going to add a turbosmart electronic boost controller!
ive read on this forum for a long time and never seen a thread about using an aftermarket boost controller?
is there a reason why people do not use a aftermarket electronic boost controller?

kind regards
Jimb0

For the most part it's probably because most of the tuning units/software have boost control built in. I'm failing to see the need for an additional electronic boost controller if you're Cobb Accessport, for example, can control the same feature. I can't see a need of why you'd want to change boost on the fly like you can with an electronic unit. You would have 5 map slots in the Accessport, just make a lowboost, peakboost, midrange boost, etc map and use the map switching functionality. To me, it seems like you'd just be adding a redundant device.

OP
J
Thread Starter #3
ah okay maybe i should have pointed out i have an EU Fiesta and not US, so i do not have the possibility to use a cobb accesport... ive just read that with an electronic boostcontroller, you have alot of settings, you can adjust if boost is tappering out at the end of rpm and theres a setting for get the turbo to spool a bit faster

Hey man just be careful tuning that EBC. Mistuned and you might see 20psi on a 7psi system (ask me how I know). That said, figure out if yours fails open or closed, your want the former.

Sekred

1000 Post Club
I think the main reasons would be cost and the fact that the ECU controls boost anyway.
I have a Euro ST and I am using Turbosmart EBC with a Peron tune. Peron had to customised the map for me because I am using a EBC.
I have two peak boost settings, 15psi and 22.5psi which I can change by flicking a switch. 15psi for when it is raining or extremely hot weather. I also use a switch on the gear linage to reduce boost to 15psi in first gear to reduce wheel spin.
The Turbosmart EBC work great and produces very stable peak boost pressures.

OP
J
Thread Starter #6
I think the main reasons would be cost and the fact that the ECU controls boost anyway.
I have a Euro ST and I am using Turbosmart EBC with a Peron tune. Peron had to customised the map for me because I am using a EBC.
I have two peak boost settings, 15psi and 22.5psi which I can change by flicking a switch. 15psi for when it is raining or extremely hot weather. I also use a switch on the gear linage to reduce boost to 15psi in first gear to reduce wheel spin.
Nice to know! I got e boost Street But i was not confident that it would Work without the old plugged in..

OP
J
Thread Starter #7
Does your TS EBC have rpm signal ?? Hows IT connected i talked with Charlie from Peron he said that Was nessecerry

Sekred

1000 Post Club
Does your TS EBC have rpm signal ?? Hows IT connected i talked with Charlie from Peron he said that Was nessecerry
It is not connected to the RPM signal, there is no real need for me to do that. I run peak boost as soon as the turbo can spool-up and run it all the way to the red line.
The OEM boost control solenoid is still connected electrically to prevent a CEL.
As you mentioned you can map the boost pressure according to RPM, think about using the crank angle sensor rather than chasing wires at the ECU if you decide to go that way.

DaveG99

Electronic boost controllers were how we did thinhs in the late 90's. And we also had turbo timers to let the turbos cool. Ahh the good old days driving DSM's