Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Valvoline "Modern Engine" synthetic oil

I just picked some of this Valvoline up on sale at Autozone. Gonna do an oil change this weekend and swap out the Magnatec in there. Should be interesting to compare the UOAs

danbfree

3000 Post Club
I just picked some of this Valvoline up on sale at Autozone. Gonna do an oil change this weekend and swap out the Magnatec in there. Should be interesting to compare the UOAs
I like the Magnatec, and since it's Gen 2 for anti-LSPI and I can grab it when it's only $17 on Amazon, I'll just change it every 5k miles using the Bosch filter that has an excellent anti drain back valve and holds a little more junk than the Motorcraft without resorting to the bigger Motorcraft that's a tight fit...

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Based on some longer and more extensive oil research I have done (trying to figure out what the best oil I should get for my car), I came across some additional information where they tested NOACK levels and LSPI. Based on the tests, NOACK levels had little to no correlation with respect to LSPI. In fact, lubricants with around the 10-11% NOACK marker had the lowest LSPI. The biggest cause of LSPI seems to be calcium. Oils with more Molybdenum and Phosphorus additives help counteract LSPI. Link to study: https://www.slideshare.net/AftonChemical/afton-chemical-the-impact-of-low-speed-preignition-on-next-generation-engine-oils Image:
(From slide 38)
That may be so, but, one could also have a relatively high calcium content, sky high starting TBN oil, with VERY LOW NOACK (like the latest formula Amsoil Sig Series), and still have anti-LSPI properties.
It seems like the only truly 'deadly' combo (as far as LSPI is concerned) is a HIGH NOACK number combined with a sky high calcium, sodium/other sulfated ash additive.
Unless ALL of the 'culprit oil' is entering the combustion chamber via the valve seals, and/or the ring packs, it is getting there by means of volatilization from the PCV system, and bringing whatever sulfated ash compounds are in that particular oil along with it when it does.

I want BOTH a low SA/sodium/calcium detergent/dispersant/TAN reduction add pack, AND VERY low NOACK PAO/POE base stock, along with a STRONG trinuclear moly/boron/magnesium, and either titanium or tungsten anti-friction/anti-wear add pack. ;)
(Blauparts had better get that Ravenol DXG in stock 'right quick'. [mad])

That may be so, but, one could also have a relatively high calcium content, sky high starting TBN oil, with VERY LOW NOACK (like the latest formula Amsoil Sig Series), and still have anti-LSPI properties.
It seems like the only truly 'deadly' combo (as far as LSPI is concerned) is a HIGH NOACK number combined with a sky high calcium, sodium/other sulfated ash additive.
Unless ALL of the 'culprit oil' is entering the combustion chamber via the valve seals, and/or the ring packs, it is getting there by means of volatilization from the PCV system, and bringing whatever sulfated ash compounds are in that particular oil along with it when it does.

I want BOTH a low SA/sodium/calcium detergent/dispersant/TAN reduction add pack, AND VERY low NOACK PAO/POE base stock, along with a STRONG trinuclear moly/boron/magnesium, and either titanium or tungsten anti-friction/anti-wear add pack. ;)
(Blauparts had better get that Ravenol DXG in stock 'right quick'. [mad])
The Ravenol isn't coming anytime soon, not until blauparts (which is owned by Ravenol) sells out of the old stuff. That's why I went with Kendall GT-1 Dexos. They have good reputation with their oil and it meets the Dexos 1 Gen 2 & API Service SN Plus with Resource Conserving specification. Some info on how they make the dexos oil at Kendall: https://www.autopartswarehouse.com/blog/2017/11/kendall-motor-oil-knowledge-session-things-to-know-about-full-synthetic-motor-oil/

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
The Ravenol isn't coming anytime soon, not until blauparts (which is owned by Ravenol) sells out of the old stuff. That's why I went with Kendall GT-1 Dexos. They have good reputation with their oil and it meets the Dexos 1 Gen 2 & API Service SN Plus with Resource Conserving specification. Some info on how they make the dexos oil at Kendall: https://www.autopartswarehouse.com/blog/2017/11/kendall-motor-oil-knowledge-session-things-to-know-about-full-synthetic-motor-oil/
Cannot go wrong with the GT-1! [thumb]

They claim they are going to call me back after their stock management meeting, and let me know IF they are going to order the D1G2 DXG in even BEFORE they sell out ALL of the D1G1 product, due to demand for the new formula they have been receiving from customers. [wink]

If it is going to be past early June, I will just go with their REP Racing 5W-30.
The only drawback I see with that stuff is the 3.7 HTHSV, which yes IS pretty viscous (and 0.6 HTHSV above the DXG), but no more so than Red Line 5W-30, and will be fine for summer only use around here, and will stand up well to oil thinning fuel dilution.
It DOES have a low NOACK, low SA, and close to the same anti-wear/anti-friction add pack as the DXG, along with a PAO/POE base stock composition as well, just not officially D1G2 rated (but it IS Dexos 2 rated). [:)]

BTW; I don't think that Ravenol actually OWNS Blauparts, but they ARE their exclusive North American distributor, to the point that their Euro distributors are NOT allowed to us sell Ravenol products here, via the webz, from overseas. ;)

Last edited:
Just picked up two 5qt jugs of this stuff at the local Walmart for less than $35 each, not a bad deal at all for specialty full synthetic oil.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Just picked up two 5qt jugs of this stuff at the local Walmart for less than $35 each, not a bad deal at all for specialty full synthetic oil.
No that is not a bad deal....I've been telling folks to randomly check out local Autozones every now and again as they clearance out oil for dirt cheap....my garage is the exxon Valdez with oil...I got 15w50 for my truck...ow30 Castrol edge....5w20 and 0w20 Castrol magnatec for $1.35 - $1.75 at on clearance...I walked out with everything they had...I've found this multiple times with all sorts of fluids and cleaners. I'm stocked for a long...long time.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Yes, Valvoline/Ashland have dropped the price down on this product when they took notice of how the Mobil 1 AP (Annual Protection) was collecting major dust on the shelves at Wal Mart when priced at $40.00+ for the 5 quart jug.

It IS a very good oil, especially for that price. [thumb] (I believe it even has titanium now in it's anti-wear/anti-friction additive pack, since their Advanced Full Synthetic, which costs about $15.00/jug less, does. ;) )

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
M what's the word on Swepco oils ?
Do they even manufacture any synthetic ENGINE OILS at all??

The ONLY thing I've ever heard good about them was the Porschephiles' abject LOVE of their mineral based GEAR OILS due to their 'stoutness' in the P-car transaxles.