Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Livernois Motorsports Tune +18hp / +65tq

Yea, they messed with the boost control that cobb doesn't mess with. I've said in a few threads now that uppering the boost is going to be more effective than upping the timing, and cobb only adjust the way the boost comes on, not the peak boost or boost held.

But... There is also a difference in getting a car to be happy on the dyno, and a car being happy on the street/track. Cars are tuned at the drag strip or in BFE for a reason. A dyno can get you close, but its not going to run on street 100% the same way it does on the dyno.
While there are certainly some gains available above our safe and proven OTS maps, the gains shown by the OP to be completely void of anything we've seen to date on a stock car. The big spike in torque followed by a 25lb-ft oscillation seems concerning. They should definitely look into fixing that for the OP.

I'm wondering how they adjusted the peak boost and boost holding because Cobb basicly told me it can't be done ( aka they don't know how ).
Where are you hearing this? We have the most extensive boost and wastegate tuning controls available.

fist_boost_control.png

We've spent countless hours on the dyno, road testing, and tested several methods, strategies, and configurations. Our final settings reflect this effort and allow the car to run in an optimal, safe, and consistent fashion.

Cheers,
-Braden @ COBB

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
So more is to gained by ignition timing advance than increased boost pressure?

On the consistency side... I wouldn't doubt at all if the ecu dropped the boost back down after these pulls. That wastegate duty cycle adapts FAST.

And again... Dyno vs driving down the road is going to a good load difference ( although every dyno claims to simulate load, it can't. So it could be ok ok on the dyno, then 3 pulls on the street, and it knocks, pulls a ton of timing and you ultimately go slow... Sucks that track times are hard to be consistent all the time too... But that's why we race.

me32

1000 Post Club
The vw guys are using it on a 2.0L. The difference between suppling enough air at 23psi on a 1.6L and suppling enough air at 23psi on a 2.0L is two very different things. Also. Engine flow plays a role in this too, as well as small differences like intercooler (pressure drop).

A 2.0L is 25% bigger than a 1.6L.

Maybe the vw 2.0L engine flows more air, maybe it doesn't.

Also. Adding boost like that, a catless downpipe and full exhaust will go a long way to help. Its not going to slow the turbine wheel down, but it sure help with the extreme temperatures it sees.

That company has been around mustangs a long time. Very legit. Even if there dyno reads a little high, it doesn't matter, before and after tells everything ( other than how the car lives/reacts to actual driving).
That does make sense. I guess we will have to see over timem

pwnall1337

Vendor
I emailed Braden this thread last night after questioning the boost increase. I'm going to keep my current target psi the same.

Colin1337

1000 Post Club
im scratching my head on how you pulled 202 whp from a turbo that's maxed out from the factory with out decreasing temps or reducing back pressure. Even the 277 wtq is high surprising. My tuner couldn't get any higher than what I'm currently at [sig]
Peak numbers are great if that's all your looking for, but the under the curve numbers are more important.
I'm sure with your mods, your power doesn't drop off as fast

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Geez.... Ford really over complicated the crap out of something as simple as boost control, wow....

me32

1000 Post Club
On a car where the tiny turbo is pushed near its limit from the factory, yes, we get some big gains from the timing strategy.

Ian
How do we know what limits are of the stock turbo? Right now it seems there isn't much info on this turbo at all. Do you guys have more info on the turbo that you could share with us.
thanks

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
On a car where the tiny turbo is pushed near its limit from the factory, yes, we get some big gains from the timing strategy.

Ian
You guys are the experts with these cars and have more experience than me, so I'm happy to say you know better than me,
But I will say that until the turbo is maxed out ( which it is close to being maxed, but its its not completely maxed ), I'd have to say on every other non-DFI ford I've seen, the boost means more than the timing. Maybe this car is different because the compression and DFI...

Cobb guys, do you guys think there is rod danger in putting that much torque down, that early in the rpm band?

Even on SRT4's, if you left the wastegate 100% closed it would spool the turbo to 30psi ( bad ) at 2500rpms with load. And being its not a diesel engine, it didn't like that, lol

I like the idea of competition when it comes to performance parts and tuning. It changes everything. Livernois is no joke and has been building and tuning massive high horsepower Fords for years. I'll continue to wait and see who else joins in and wait to see who blows up what.....

BlueBomber

1000 Post Club
Looking at Livernois for Dad's escape since nobody wants to friggin tune EcoBoost Escapes or Fusions

airjor13

2000 Post Club
Livernois has definitely gotten my attention, interested to see what they have in store for us, and other vendors too

the night is "young" guys [giggle]

Got my Fiesta ST tuned @ Livernois Motorsports last week and picked up 65 ft/lbs of tq and 18 hp to the wheels peak. In lower RPM the gains are much more. The car feels so much more peppy daily driving it. We have a track rental in a few weeks and I'll do some stock vs tune runs to see how much ET its really worth. Car is bone stock except for the tune.

We are definitely looking forward to you getting some track time in with the car. These gains are phenomenal with just a tune.

Great numbers, I looked on their website and it seems they have their own tuning device?
Correct, we use the MyCal device, the pic above is an older model, but it is the MyCal we use for these

im scratching my head on how you pulled 202 whp from a turbo that's maxed out from the factory with out decreasing temps or reducing back pressure. Even the 277 wtq is high surprising. My tuner couldn't get any higher than what I'm currently at [sig]
There are numerous items we have learned over almost 6 years of tuning and setting records with EcoBoost powered vehicles that allow us to make substantial increases in power, without negatively impacting reliability.

Wow that's great power for tune only. How much was it for everything to get tuned?
As posted above, the tune and tuner together run $599

Yea, they messed with the boost control that cobb doesn't mess with. I've said in a few threads now that uppering the boost is going to be more effective than upping the timing, and cobb only adjust the way the boost comes on, not the peak boost or boost held.

But... There is also a difference in getting a car to be happy on the dyno, and a car being happy on the street/track. Cars are tuned at the drag strip or in BFE for a reason. A dyno can get you close, but its not going to run on street 100% the same way it does on the dyno.

I'm wondering how they adjusted the peak boost and boost holding.

Either way, you've got my attention :)
You are correct, the dyno is only a portion of the puzzle, and must be coupled with proper street calibration as well. Which of course, was done.

As for what all is adjusted, as mentioned above, we have custom tuned more EcoBoost vehicles than anyone, and have been doing it longer than anyone in the industry, so we do have some unique insight into these engines and their tuning that has amassed over time.

Wow, I did a quick Google search. They've done some crazy good work.
Thank you, I am partial, but I agree :)

According to the vw tdi forums 23 psi kills this turbo in 3 months or less. Hell, some of them claim to be breaking under stock boost at 18psi. This was also back in 2007. I'm considering an injen intake and retun at 23psi but I also need at minimum 5+ months from the stock turbo until the ATP gtx kit is out. I've also got a heavy foot and am always at full boost.
With any turbo, there will be a threshold that is unsafe, but going slightly above the OEM boost level at high RPM is not going to have a large impact. While it's definitely running harder down low, up top it's not running much harder than stock, so ultimately it's still in the safe zone. Of course, an upgraded turbo offering would be great for this too.

I Can't see these turbos breaking now days because the car stock is 21psi. I can't see ford taking the chance of having to Warrenty all these within the 5yr 60k power train.
Agreed,

There is always a margin of safety, 1-2# is not going to invite early failures.

While there are certainly some gains available above our safe and proven OTS maps, the gains shown by the OP to be completely void of anything we've seen to date on a stock car. The big spike in torque followed by a 25lb-ft oscillation seems concerning. They should definitely look into fixing that for the OP.

We've spent countless hours on the dyno, road testing, and tested several methods, strategies, and configurations. Our final settings reflect this effort and allow the car to run in an optimal, safe, and consistent fashion.

Cheers,
-Braden @ COBB
We definitely have spent the better part of nearly 6 years diving into the EcoBoost family of engines head first. Obviously, I do not know what you have personally seen, but as with all EcoBoost engines, there is a massive amount of room for improvement in the Low and middle range, while not as much left up top, until serious mods start happening. This car is no exception. We have seen the confusion associated with our results before on other platforms as people enter the EcoBoost arena for tuning, these engines are unique, as is their tuning logic. When we first had people join us on the SHO, F150, Explorer, Flex, Escape, and Fusion, many times people were in disbelief, that is of course, until they tried it out first hand. We always try our best to put factual and accurate information out for our customer's to view, while never making any negative comments towards other's results, and of course, appreciate the same.

So more is to gained by ignition timing advance than increased boost pressure?

On the consistency side... I wouldn't doubt at all if the ecu dropped the boost back down after these pulls. That wastegate duty cycle adapts FAST.

And again... Dyno vs driving down the road is going to a good load difference ( although every dyno claims to simulate load, it can't. So it could be ok ok on the dyno, then 3 pulls on the street, and it knocks, pulls a ton of timing and you ultimately go slow... Sucks that track times are hard to be consistent all the time too... But that's why we race.
If we had not done the proper calibration associated around increasing the boost, I would agree, the computer would limit the boost back. But with how many EcoBoost platforms we support, we know how to control boost :) As for spark vs. boost. They are complimentary to each other. They both need adjustments to ensure the best results.

Geez.... Ford really over complicated the crap out of something as simple as boost control, wow....
That's a fair statement, when first developing our EcoBoost SHO tunes, it was a huge undertaking figuring it all out. It's one thing seeing the tables, it's a completely different thing understanding how they work.

Looking at Livernois for Dad's escape since nobody wants to friggin tune EcoBoost Escapes or Fusions
Just another platform we saw great potential in. After driving numerous Escapes with our tune, it's amazing how much better they feel, and how abysmal they are stock.

Livernois has definitely gotten my attention, interested to see what they have in store for us, and other vendors too

the night is "young" guys [giggle]
We definitely wanted to get on this platform as soon as time allowed, and now it has :)

Touching on items in general, There is a lot of safety factor built into these cars that allows us to add some serious power without playing on the side of dangerous. Being Ford states you can use 87 octane (although not preferred, nor recommended) just validates it even further that these have room left in them.

rooSTer

1000 Post Club
@ Livernois Motorsports do you guys offer custom tuning for modded FiSTs?

airjor13

2000 Post Club
Thanks for the detailed response Livernois Motorsports! much appreciated

I am almost at this point...

now all you have to do is throw in a group buy discount [raceflag]

@ Livernois Motorsports do you guys offer custom tuning for modded FiSTs?
In short, yes, but we do have a list of approved modifications that we support. Basically, we have to have faith in the product in order to support tuning for it.

Thanks for the detailed response Livernois Motorsports! much appreciated

I am almost at this point...

now all you have to do is throw in a group buy discount [raceflag]
We do have some discounts out there, namely military is the one that we always offer, but traditionally, we have never done a group buy. We do offer some bundled discounts, but we have not determined what parts we will be bundling yet.

What does your new device look like and what kind of capabilities does it have?

Features:

Custom tuning via Livernois Motorsports
Increased horsepower & torque
Dyno and street proven adjustments
Enhanced throttle response
Available for multiple fuel octane levels (91 & 93 currently available)
Removed top speed limiter
Read/Clear (DTC) Codes

This is a basic overview of the tuner's functionality, I am sure there are some specifics that are being generalized, but this gives you the idea.