Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

What tune should I buy

What [MENTION=9199]redmoe[/MENTION] said. I suggest getting Stratified’s $10 traction control add-on, and if you have any stations nearby that sell E85- I’d consider getting an E30 tune as well. Feel free to PM me if you have further questions.
Thanks guys I appreciate it. I was already set on the stratified tune but just needed to be clear I did not need to directly purchase the AP through them. Yes I have a Speedway with E85 about 3/4 of a mile from my house The E30 would be an awesome add-on. Just curious on the FiST with the 12.4 gal tank how much E85 do you guys add. I have a tuned 335i and on 16 gal for E30 4.5-5 gal is key. Im assuming somewhere in the 3 gallon range. E30 ok with a stage 1 type of setup or any other mods needed?

Quisp

1000 Post Club
Thanks guys I appreciate it. I was already set on the stratified tune but just needed to be clear I did not need to directly purchase the AP through them. Yes I have a Speedway with E85 about 3/4 of a mile from my house The E30 would be an awesome add-on. Just curious on the FiST with the 12.4 gal tank how much E85 do you guys add. I have a tuned 335i and on 16 gal for E30 4.5-5 gal is key. Im assuming somewhere in the 3 gallon range. E30 ok with a stage 1 type of setup or any other mods needed?
Yeap 3 gallons. Maybe a fmic and drop in air cleaner.

You can download a chart from stratified that tells you exactly how much E85 and how much 93 gasoline to add depending on how many gallons of E30 you want to add in total. That way, if you think you only have room for say 7 gallons, it gives you the exact ratio, since the 3 gallons of E85 only works in a tank that has no E85 in it yet. If you have E85 close by, consider getting a single combo file tune from Stratified, that way you can switch from 93 to E30 in about one second on the fly, just using your cruise control buttons. You have 5 slots to work with. So you can also get eco files in open slots, which can be in 93 or E30 or both (I have both) that lets you click to a tune that limits boost to 15 psi. In my 5th slot I have a valet tune that limits max rpm to 3000--pretty useless since I won't use a valet, but fun to play with. If you get traction control it will apply to all slots--you just need to select if you want it or not, and if you do want it, whether you want it on or off by default. You can turn it on or off with the AP, but it reverts to default each time you start the car. You can also select if you want it less intrusive by default but if you make no selection, it is set at max.

You can definitely run E30 with a stage 1..Stratified will ask on the form for options on the car. Since I live in Ohio I put down that I have a FMIC even though I don't, since I almost never see charge temps more than a few degrees above ambient most of the year. I have a Whoosh FMIC sitting in my garage which I will install now that warmer weather is here if I start seeing higher charge temps or negative corrections, but I don't track the car and roads here are boring so I don't get long periods of spirited driving. If I don't see conditions that warrant a new FMIC, I won't even bother with it. There would be no point if my charge temps are consistently close to ambient air temp and I am not getting negative corrections.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Yeah, our bolt on's do very little anyway with a stock turbo, it's rather silly that Cobb has 3 distinct stages, just for marketing I guess... Even our factory intercooler isn't that bad, but for those with hot summers and/or want to track and have repeated WOT runs that's definitely the mod to do... That said, Stratified is by FAR the best bang for the buck, but that's mainly if you aren't doing e30, which really is one step above 93 in overall octane, it would be like a 95 octane tune if that was available as pump fuel... anyway, Stratified charges $85 just to add e30 to a $50 tune that has a pump gas included, while those tuners that charge $180-250 charge much less to add an e30 file and they include datalog revisions too...Anyway, I'd choose based o nthis: If you aren't going to do a bunch more of hardware changes and want a good tune for a good price that is OTS and don't want/need to do datalogging, then go Stratified.. If you are going to be doing hardware upgrades, want to get into the back and forth datalogging, then go with JST lifetime, great value there... This is of course assuming you have an AP already, otherwise I just recommend the $589 Mountune package where you get full stage 1 hardware worth $650 and a full custom datalog tune worth ~$150 all included.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
You can download a chart from stratified that tells you exactly how much E85 and how much 93 gasoline to add depending on how many gallons of E30 you want to add in total. That way, if you think you only have room for say 7 gallons, it gives you the exact ratio, since the 3 gallons of E85 only works in a tank that has no E85 in it yet. If you have E85 close by, consider getting a single combo file tune from Stratified, that way you can switch from 93 to E30 in about one second on the fly, just using your cruise control buttons. You have 5 slots to work with. So you can also get eco files in open slots, which can be in 93 or E30 or both (I have both) that lets you click to a tune that limits boost to 15 psi. In my 5th slot I have a valet tune that limits max rpm to 3000--pretty useless since I won't use a valet, but fun to play with. If you get traction control it will apply to all slots--you just need to select if you want it or not, and if you do want it, whether you want it on or off by default. You can turn it on or off with the AP, but it reverts to default each time you start the car. You can also select if you want it less intrusive by default but if you make no selection, it is set at max.

You can definitely run E30 with a stage 1..Stratified will ask on the form for options on the car. Since I live in Ohio I put down that I have a FMIC even though I don't, since I almost never see charge temps more than a few degrees above ambient most of the year. I have a Whoosh FMIC sitting in my garage which I will install now that warmer weather is here if I start seeing higher charge temps or negative corrections, but I don't track the car and roads here are boring so I don't get long periods of spirited driving. If I don't see conditions that warrant a new FMIC, I won't even bother with it. There would be no point if my charge temps are consistently close to ambient air temp and I am not getting negative corrections.
The Stratified traction control is not set at max by default, all over the web site and their tune email says their setting of 1 is "optimal" which is a setting of about 4.5 when you consider that settings 2-8 is the scale... I wish it was easier to share pics but here's their text in my email from them "The intensity (or mode) of the traction control can be customized to your liking using. KEEP IN MIND THE SYSTEM WILL REVERT BACK TO 'OPTIMAL' MODE 1 EVERY TIME YOU START YOUR CAR.", then they show a picture of that optimal (1) setting being around a 4.5 from a 2-8 scale...

But interesting take on saying on your tuning form you have an IC, I know when it's fairly cool it doesn't make much difference, not a bad idea!

redmoe

Here’s the graph that [MENTION=9500]danbfree[/MENTION] is referencing looks like optimal is close to mode 4.3ish. Mode 5 appears to be the mid point so mode 1 gets just a hair on the less slip side of the mid setting. Without a frame of reference it just gives you a general idea of how engaged the tc will be.

Attachments

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Here’s the graph that [MENTION=9500]danbfree[/MENTION] is referencing looks like optimal is close to mode 4.3ish. Mode 5 appears to be the mid point so mode 1 gets just a hair on the less slip side of the mid setting. Without a frame of reference it just gives you a general idea of how engaged the tc will be.
Thanks, I literally work in a computer lab, but the 2 step process to upload a photo a hosting site first is annoying. :)

But I REALLY like the Stratified TC, I just wish there was a way to turn off the factory TC by default instead of having to remember to push the button every time I start my car, LOL, that seriously is the only downside to any added TC, you still have to manually disable the terrible factory version first!

OK, figured out the crappy file attachment thing here, for the guys asking about e30 mix, Stratified sends this out on every tune email:

Attachments