Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

recall for overheating

has any canadian fist owner got there car fixed under the recall got my letter in march 2017 still waiting for dealer to fix this recall

OP
R
Thread Starter #3
I never got a letter for any recalls. What is the cause of the overheating?
the car will overheat on certain ford vechiles including fiesta when the antifreeze meets oil car can catch fire

I haven't heard of this recall. The only one I know of that hit our cars was for a coolant temp sensor to be added. This was to stop retarded drivers from driving their car without coolant causing the car too overheat and the head to warp just enough to let oil out. The oil then would land on the manifold and ignite.

Anymore info on this? My ST overheating never got fixed at the dealer and its out of warranty now and now hitting hot weather scared of driving it in the Fraser Canyon /Coquihalla were it overheated several times especially in Kamloops. If I lived in Kamloops now way could I drive it there in the summer.

Just checked my coolant level and its almost at the low line so I seem to be slowly losing it and pretty sure it was at max when I took it to the dealer some months ago after the overheat. Looks like I'll be taking it in.

Last edited:
OP
R
Thread Starter #8
well finally got my recall notice in the mail booked next monday recall #17S09 the dealer to install a coolant level sensor system free of charge

Zormecteon

I have the mp215 kit and am wondering if they have to reset the ECU back to stock before they can install the new programming for the gauge?! If so will the charge me for THAT? Anyone in a similar situation ?

I just dropped my FiST off today with the dealer for a coolant related recall. I have the letter at home so I don't know that exact number or if it is the same you all are talking about. I still have my tune loaded so I guess I'll find out if that causes any issues.

OP
R
Thread Starter #11
just had the recall replaced today took 9am till 3pm the mechanic didnt take a break told me that he haddone the recall on a focus and fusion were very easy they had to remove pass headlite,alternator battery my cold ar intake and had tosplice wires and rewire and changed my resevoir

Get it done. You get a better designed expansion tank, fresh hoses, an additional sensor, and a new thermostat. Pretty dope if it’s free under warranty. Mine is a 2014 fist and I got the recall notice about 2 months ago

alexrex20

1000 Post Club
Recalls have nothing to do with warranty. Even without a warranty, if there is a recall, they are required to do the work at no charge to the owner of the car.

Does anybody have more info on this recall? Does it only pertain to certain years?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Recalls have nothing to do with warranty. Even without a warranty, if there is a recall, they are required to do the work at no charge to the owner of the car.

Does anybody have more info on this recall? Does it only pertain to certain years?

Sent from my SM-G950U
Yes, 2014

Can confirm.

2014 Bought in Montreal, received the recall notice in late June.

I have to schedule an appointment soon.

Got my 2014 FiST recall done a few weeks ago. Had issues reloading my mountune MP215 tune, Cobb ended up coming up with a firmware fix to essentially load the tune on but will ignore the low coolant sensor. Not too worried since I also got the mountune radiator installed at the same time so the likely hood of loosing coolant and or overheating is very small. Cobb said they will have another update to include the low level sensor by the end of the year.

SST

Get it done. You get a better designed expansion tank, fresh hoses, an additional sensor, and a new thermostat. Pretty dope if it’s free under warranty. Mine is a 2014 fist and I got the recall notice about 2 months ago
so is this actually a fix? adding a sensor is just to tell us "hey, your coolant is low", the coolant is still draining?

Zormecteon

It is NOT a fix. This is part of the reason it took so long to issue the recall. The gov wanted a fix, but FORD couldn't figure out exactly what was causing the problem. (or, the problem was so expensive to fix they claimed they couldn't find the exact problem) Ford thus only wanted a warning system. They argued about it for about a year and a half, and it appears that Ford got their way in the end.

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
Didn't they figure out that it was a hot spot in the original head causing the problem? I believe they redesigned it for later models.

Sekred

1000 Post Club
From my understanding, you don't have a problem until you loose coolant. Once the coolant drops below a certain level and air enters the system the Cylinder Head can over heat and crack. If it cracks in a certain area where Ford are calling it a hot spot, it cracks through the oil gallery that lubricate the valve train and leaks onto the exhaust manifold and may cause a fire.
The recall does not address any reasons for a coolant leak, that's a different problem.