Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Mechanic says 2L not enough tranny fluid?

HBEcoBeaST

Since I can't work on my car in my complex I'm getting oil and tranny fluid done at a mechanic. He's saying 2l isn't enough fluid to get positive pressure? I thought it was a simple drain fill? He's saying he put in all 2L.

Was there some lost in the fill up? I know you can't fill until it's overflowing but something sounds wrong.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
Show him the manual. 1.67 quarts. NOT to the top!

1.7, no more. Someone will show up with the factory image. He put in too much.

OP
HBEcoBeaST

HBEcoBeaST

Thread Starter #3
Show him the manual.
I did and also told him the gearbox won't be "full" from the top. He's saying that if I think it's ok then we'll call it a day. Just nervous he put 2L in

OP
HBEcoBeaST

HBEcoBeaST

Thread Starter #4
Show him the manual. 1.67 quarts. NOT to the top!

1.7, no more. Someone will show up with the factory image. He put in too much.
I'm also confused about 'positive pressure' in the transmission.

I did and also told him the gearbox won't be "full" from the top. He's saying that if I think it's ok then we'll call it a day. Just nervous he put 2L in

Get another technician.

OP
HBEcoBeaST

HBEcoBeaST

Thread Starter #6
Get another technician.
Yea. And I thought this would be simple for them. I'm going to go over step by step what they did to my car when I get there. I am assuming there's no tranny dipstick to check the level?

OP
HBEcoBeaST

HBEcoBeaST

Thread Starter #8
Found this.....

http://www.fiestast.org/forum/fiest...al-changing-transmission-fluid.html#post19167

Short version....fill until fluid comes out of the fill hole and suction out 20mm of fluid.
Thank you. They put the whole 2L thinking it should be full to the drain plug which even with 2L there's a bit of space left until the drain hole. Nice guys at this shop but I'm not so confident about their knowledge.

I'm going to siphon about a cup of fluid out at work tomorrow.

OP
HBEcoBeaST

HBEcoBeaST

Thread Starter #10
How does it feel?
Honestly mostly the same. I don't know if it's mental or the fluid, but shifter movement feels a little more 'solid' like you have to apply slightly more force when moving the lever. I'm not complaining but I was expecting a bigger difference. Maybe I'll notice more as I get more than a 5mile drive to work to try it out.

Keep in mind I have zero complaints about how this car shifts. I bought the car used with 24K and now it has 32K so I figured it was time for a fluid change. Would I use motul 300 again? Yes.

I'm saving for the boomba full shift kit.

OP
HBEcoBeaST

HBEcoBeaST

Thread Starter #11
How does it feel?
After another short drive I noticed much less transmission noise. From the 'click' into gear and the syncros there is noticeably less noise. My car never had whine or bad sounds, but the normal noises are much quieter.

me32

1000 Post Club
After another short drive I noticed much less transmission noise. From the 'click' into gear and the syncros there is noticeably less noise. My car never had whine or bad sounds, but the normal noises are much quieter.

Good to hear. Maybe 2L worked fine

My fiesta took 2L of Redline fluid with what appeared to be the recommended amount of space left. I was on a flat lift, so no jack angles or anything, the car was level. If i had put 1.7L in I believe I would have been far below the "full" line. I've got almost 10K miles on the fluid and so far its been great.

OP
HBEcoBeaST

HBEcoBeaST

Thread Starter #14
My fiesta took 2L of Redline fluid with what appeared to be the recommended amount of space left. I was on a flat lift, so no jack angles or anything, the car was level. If i had put 1.7L in I believe I would have been far below the "full" line. I've got almost 10K miles on the fluid and so far its been great.
Glad to hear. I'm going to leave the extra fluid in since it seems to be fine and .3l is about 9oz so not horribly too much fluid.

Interesting how our transmission has no dipstick and you just fill the set volume of fluid.

Sam4

Glad to hear. I'm going to leave the extra fluid in since it seems to be fine and .3l is about 9oz so not horribly too much fluid.

Interesting how our transmission has no dipstick and you just fill the set volume of fluid.

I actually don't think any manual shift tranny cars have a dip stick. I know none of mine have (70 toyota thru 16 ST).

OP
HBEcoBeaST

HBEcoBeaST

Thread Starter #16
I actually don't think any manual shift tranny cars have a dip stick. I know none of mine have (70 toyota thru 16 ST).
Now that you mention it...

I remember my corvette you filled it up to the fill plug no measuring required. The FIST is my first car that has no dipstick and you don't just fill until fluid comes out of the hole.

Subarus have a dipstick in their transmissions. At least up to the early 00' they had.

OP
HBEcoBeaST

HBEcoBeaST

Thread Starter #18
Subarus have a dipstick in their transmissions. At least up to the early 00' they had.
I swear the only reason they don't include dipsticks on transmissions is to prevent people from doing their own work.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club

Their DCT, or their MTL?

Neither meets the Ford spec, but then the Motul Gear 300 which many use (myself included) does not either.

Next change it gets the Ravenol MTF-2 or MTF-3 (BOTH of which DO meet the Ford spec in our manual).

I went with the DCT based on reviews from other owners. I noticed an immediate increase the smoothness of high RPM shifting. Cruising around town really didn't change much. As said though, when flogging it around back roads she shifts like butter.