Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

It finally happened. Speeding Ticket

OP
HBEcoBeaST

HBEcoBeaST

Thread Starter #21
That is one thing that seems so heartbreaking to me. I can understand some mods being illegal but some of them out there and other places are absolutely insane. Thank god I live in a state where you can just about do anything you want to your car. Its so awesome. You can literally build a car from scratch and get it titled and plated. Something as silly as an AP being illegal there is sooooo dumb.
Lucky! California has laws against certain mods regardless if they make your car run cleaner or dirtier and they can be strict about tint, plates, lighting etc. Basically, if they pick you you're in for it.

On a 6mile round trip from AutoZone I was pulled over TWICE for not having a front plate (it was in my windshield since I smashed my bumper into something). That was my mx-5. My corvette I ran no plate up front ever and never had any problems.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Short story? Crotch rocket and Being stupid on public roads.

20 years old
2006 Ducati 749 dark (when flat black was cheaper and not cool yet)
'R' upgrades, Termigioni exhaust, intake mod, re flash, other bells and whistles.

15 highway out by Mojave because I was bored and mods were new. Perfect stretch of miles open, straight road. Rode back and forth on a stretch of road for a few times as a safety sweep before I decided to see what each gear topped out at (had just upgraded gearing).

CHP was off the road in a ditch and watched me the whole time. Saw me doing low speed passes and knew I was going for it. Clocked me in at 137mph in 4th... When I saw the lights I had shifted to 5th and speedo indicated 156 and she was still pulling. Who knows how accurate that Ducs speedo really was anyways but it was really fast.

I thought about not stopping but I was in the middle of nowhere and running from the law usually only works if it's pre meditated and/or in the movies.

Cop caught up. Ordered me on the ground away from my bike, had me ditch my gear before he even approached me. Scary experience. Told me at those speeds if I "hit a tumbleweed you'd be roadkill". Didn't help that I had a CCW and had to delare my Beretta in the storage compartment. Tried to bring up how I was an Eagle Scout and all that but he wasn't having it.

Arrested for street racing (myself?) and another BS misdemeanor charge similar to reckless endangerment?, Excessive speeding, and reckless driving.

AND my parents had to pick me up about 2 hours from home. That was an awesome car ride back...

CHP made a statement saying I was cooperative and respectful. Misdemeanors we're dropped but I had to pay for towing and destruction of the bike. And my motorcycle license was suspended for 4 years.

Never again. I was being really dumb. Still sad I never got to see that vehicles top speed but the road is NOT the place to do it. I'm happy I didn't hurt anyone or myself.

That's crazy. Did they really make you destroy your bike? wtf? I love Ducati's and all V-twin sport bikes (hince why i owned an SV100). Idk I've been riding for years and those things are just built to do those kinds of speed and I have alot of mixed feelings about bikes and the laws that govern them. The biggest danger to a motorcycle rider is themselves and idk.... I'm glad you weren't hurt but it was still a tragic story and must have caused all kinds of problems.

OP
HBEcoBeaST

HBEcoBeaST

Thread Starter #23
That's crazy. Did they really make you destroy your bike? wtf? I love Ducati's and all V-twin sport bikes (hince why i owned an SV100). Idk I've been riding for years and those things are just built to do those kinds of speed and I have alot of mixed feelings about bikes and the laws that govern them. The biggest danger to a motorcycle rider is themselves and idk.... I'm glad you weren't hurt but it was still a tragic story and must have caused all kinds of problems.
It's a law that came around by the Fast & Furious era that any vehicle used in street racing will be impounded and destroyed. It will not be auctioned or driven again. Pretty sure the law hasn't changed since. The last time I saw the bike was being towed away as I was in the back of the CHP car.

I was being dumb. I knew what I was doing was wrong but I did it anyways. I can excuse short bursts of speeding here and there but topping out any vehicle on public road is not smart.

Still sad I never saw her top speed. Awesome bike with mid-range for days so you wouldn't have to wind it out like a 600.

KnockOff

1000 Post Club
I bought the focus used it had 3 options exactly from base. Wheels, tach, and the 2.3 motor. No ac. The button wasn't even there. No compressor lol. Car now has 242k on it. It's got a lil work done. Fastest I have gone was 130 and it was still going I just let off thinking jail was in my future if some one saw of authority. I was messing with a friend from work topped 3rd at 100 slammed 4th and kept going. Looked down and though oh crap this could be all bad. Only time I have driven that fast. Good car.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

neeqness

1000 Post Club
I had something like this happen to me on my Suzuki SV1000. It was an unusually warm day in January and I went for a ride and was pulling onto an on ramp and opened it up. I know I was going over 100 but quickly let off as I was entering traffic. He pulled me over shortly after. "Did you not see me behind you?"
"No, Sir...I'm very sorry, there is no excuse"
"I clocked you at 90 and this is a 55mph zone but I'll say we were a mile up the road here and it was a 65mph zone so you won't get a reckless. Look, from how you took that corner you seem like you can ride but you just can't hit speeds like that out here. I know its a nice day but I just want you to be careful."
I've never been thankful for a speeding ticket before...
I had something similar happen to me on my VFR750. I was headed back to LA from SD late at night. It was still sometime from winter but it ended a lot colder than expected. Marine layer had come in over the freeway and made it worse and all I had on was a thick leather Summer motorcycle jacket...with all those holes in it for ventillation. It had gotten in the low 50s and all I could think of was to get home ASAP.

I usually cruise 80ish in the fast lane but my speedometer had broke so I didn't know my speed. Traffic was mostly cooperative though with the fast lane pretty much open most of the way and I was just tucked in tight to get as much protection from the wind as possible.

Didn't see CHP until right before they flashed their lights behind me. Cop asked me if I knew how fast I was going. I told him no because my speedometer wasn't working. But he pressed me about if I could tell by how I was passing everyone...I told him no but I admitted that I knew I must have been speeding. I don't remember if I said anything about the cold and trying to get home. He said he clocked me over 90 but that he would put down 90 because anything over would be an automatic arrest. He also lectured me about how dangerous it was to speed on the highway especially on a bike but I just took it without a word or even a frown.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Yes. The old u-turn you watch in your rear view mirror is a bad feeling, made worse by some a-hole Ohio State Trooper giving you a ticket because he clocked you doing 62 in a 55 zone at 6 AM on an empty 4 lane divided highway.
That's the problem when you are the only 'slim pickins' victim on the road, and they have a quota. [:(] [mad]

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
It's a law that came around by the Fast & Furious era that any vehicle used in street racing will be impounded and destroyed. It will not be auctioned or driven again. Pretty sure the law hasn't changed since. The last time I saw the bike was being towed away as I was in the back of the CHP car.

I was being dumb. I knew what I was doing was wrong but I did it anyways. I can excuse short bursts of speeding here and there but topping out any vehicle on public road is not smart.
That is just adding insult to already MAJOR injury, them making you pay for the towing and crushing as well, but I fully understand WHY they do this for street racing, or excessive displays of speed.

DaveG99

Always fight tickets with a lawyer. Dont ever give in and just pay it. Thats what the government wants you to do. And because so many people just give in and pay it makes it easier for them to extort money from the general public. Stand up for your legal rights! I pay $75 for a traffic lawyer whenever I get a ticket. Ive goten 4 in the past 11 years living here in Texas and 3 of them got dismissed and one was reduced to the absolute minimum. Its well worth it to fight the system.

Zormecteon

Tips for dealing with law enforcement (doesn't always work but usually helps). I believe this is what saved me today.
-pull over, windows down, car off, music off, hazards on, hands where they can see them, if at night turn on inside lights.
-BE polite don't BS them (i.e. don't say "I don't know why you pulled me over" that makes you look dumb or like a liar).
-keep your cool. Regardless what they are doing or saying they can make your day MUCH worse. Take it on the chin and move on. I've seen minor things turn into arrests over some hothead trying to get his 2cents in to a cop. Sometimes they lecture you and let you go so arguing will never help.
Back when the speed limit was 55, using the above advice got no ticket for.. 70+ in a 55. The next time I was pulled over was 50 in a 35 in town. The next was 40 in a 25 again in town, Then 40 in school zone (Kids were long gone, it was 4:25 in the afternoon. I thought the restriction had ended at 04:00. The nice State Patrolman said "Nope, 4:30"). .. I finally actually got a ticket going 45 in a 35 (Speed Trap, none of the others were) ..

The tips above won't STOP you from getting a ticket. You can't talk your way out of one, but you can talk your way INTO one.

I had my Valentine 1 for the Fiesta BEFORE I had the Fiesta, sitting in it's box. No tickets in it in 4+ years of being a discretionary scofflaw.

Always fight tickets with a lawyer. Dont ever give in and just pay it. Thats what the government wants you to do. And because so many people just give in and pay it makes it easier for them to extort money from the general public. Stand up for your legal rights! I pay $75 for a traffic lawyer whenever I get a ticket. Ive goten 4 in the past 11 years living here in Texas and 3 of them got dismissed and one was reduced to the absolute minimum. Its well worth it to fight the system.
I completely agree with you about how valuable a lawyer can be, but I am an attorney who has been in practice for 35 years so it is no surprise that I think you're right. That said, if I got a serious ticket I also would hire an attorney since defending tickets is not what I do (I do transactional work), and it makes a lot of sense to hire an attorney that knows what he or she is doing, knows the judges, and knows the prosecutors. Lots of lawyers will tell you they do because they want your money, but they don't. The one thing I am having trouble understanding about what you said is how you find a competent lawyer who will represent you in any matter for $75. That is quite a bargain.

Last edited:
OP
HBEcoBeaST

HBEcoBeaST

Thread Starter #31

The tips above won't STOP you from getting a ticket. You can't talk your way out of one, but you can talk your way INTO one.

I had my Valentine 1 for the Fiesta BEFORE I had the Fiesta, sitting in it's box. No tickets in it in 4+ years of being a discretionary scofflaw.
I agree there's nothing you can do to get out of a ticket, just some things to increase the likelihood they will go easier on you.

How do you like the Valentine 1? My 6 year old radar detector started false flagging more and more as time went on. I believe they were caused by blindspot monitoring systems on other cars and even ambulances and firetrucks could set it off.

Zormecteon

HBEcoBeaST;287380 How do you like the Valentine 1? My 6 year old radar detector started false flagging more and more as time went on. I believe they were caused by blindspot monitoring systems on other cars and even ambulances and firetrucks could set it off. Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk[/QUOTE said:
I love the V1. So much so that I bought a second one for my Mx5. I sent the old one (Fiesta) back in to have the firmware update that stops the blindspot monitoring from triggering it. I have always had plenty of warning. On the freeway usually U generally drive not above 74 or 75 in a 70 zone, or 65 in a 60 zone, BUT.. . .there are times when, to get around a blockage, I will step on it. It's amazing how much you can clear if you hit 85 or 90 for a mile or so. It's nice knowing BEFORE hitting the go pedal that there are no members of the constabulary (using radar) in the vicinity.

No tickets in the FiST. (or the MX5)

OP
HBEcoBeaST

HBEcoBeaST

Thread Starter #33
I love the V1. So much so that I bought a second one for my Mx5. I sent the old one (Fiesta) back in to have the firmware update that stops the blindspot monitoring from triggering it. I have always had plenty of warning. On the freeway usually U generally drive not above 74 or 75 in a 70 zone, or 65 in a 60 zone, BUT.. . .there are times when, to get around a blockage, I will step on it. It's amazing how much you can clear if you hit 85 or 90 for a mile or so. It's nice knowing BEFORE hitting the go pedal that there are no members of the constabulary (using radar) in the vicinity.

Nice! I think I will go the Valentine 1 route with their app. I just can't have another detector constantly going off with false alarms. Gets annoying quickly.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Sometimes it almost seems to me that the auto insurance industry, and the court system/law enforcement in this country are colluding, replete with corrupt kickbacks and all.

Let's not forget our 'illustrious' law MAKERS most of whom (especially those of one particular party, now in total charge) allow, maybe even encourage said insurance companies to have free reign in how much they can jack up your premiums, or even cancel your policy for even ONE minor infraction/5-10 MPH over conviction. [mad]

KnockOff

1000 Post Club
Looking back now there were a couple things that could have gotten me out of it but live and learn right?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club

I second the V1 rec. [thumb]

The only reason I sold mine (bought in 2003) is because I desperately needed the coin at the time, and also absolutely could not afford the tickets, or resultant insurance increases IF it was a scenario where there was no radar used at all to nab me.

So I just adapted, used self-required restraint, and learned to drive only 5-10 over, and to keep my eyes open and constantly scan the mirrors, and LEARN/be wary of all of the possible 'hiding spots' [wink]

DaveG99

WAZE is better than a radar detector. A lot of cops use laser anyway and the only way to beat that is to have jammers set up on your car. And even if they are using radar if the cop isnt lazy he will get you because he wont turn on his radar until you are coming by. You wont have any warning. But you will know where all the automatic doors are on your route. lol

OP
HBEcoBeaST

HBEcoBeaST

Thread Starter #38
WAZE is better than a radar detector. A lot of cops use laser anyway and the only way to beat that is to have jammers set up on your car. And even if they are using radar if the cop isnt lazy he will get you because he wont turn on his radar until you are coming by. You wont have any warning. But you will know where all the automatic doors are on your route. lol
I think all new 'radar detectors' are technically laser detectors now. The name just stuck. Many have a range of 5-10miles so in theory you're allerted as they track other cars ahead of you. Many cop cars have dash mounted laser Speedos that are constantly monitoring so you will be alerted if they have the device on. This can enable your radar detector to also be a 'cop detector' to a certain extent. None are going to be 100%.

Signal scramblers(Laser jammers) are pretty expensive with questionable results/legality. Not to mention you need one for the front and back of your car. I'm not doing any cannonball runs or things like that so it seems a bit much for us FiSTers.

In SoCal Waze isn't always reliable for things besides directions. Plus cops move around a lot. To me a physical detector is more ideal than other people reporting about a cop they saw 20min ago.

I ditched my old radar/laser detector due to false alarms. Blindspot monitoring systems and emergency vehicles would set it off.I hope the new ones aren't as bad.

Zormecteon

I have and use the V1 app (be sure to get the bluetooth adapter if you plan to do this) and have turned off the X and K bands. This all but eliminates false alarms while not increasing risk, since, as far as I can tell, no Police [at least in my area, Washington and Oregon] use anything but Ka and Laser. When I'm running at potential ticket speeds, I also use WAZE. Forewarned is Forearmed.

As a side note, my Galaxy phone set off the laser alarm! The function of the phone that is uses to scan to see if it is being looked at is on police laser frequency!.. I have a little (tin foil) hat to shield the top of the phone from the detector. ... .. .. I know.. I know.. .. but empirical testing proves it works. No laser falses when it's in place. If the detector were on the dash in front of the phone it wouldn't be a problem, but it's up on the visor which puts it behind the phone.

Still sad I never saw her top speed. Awesome bike with mid-range for days so you wouldn't have to wind it out like a 600.

That law is absolutely absurd and I couldn't imagine having to go through that