Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

It finally happened. Speeding Ticket

HBEcoBeaST

I definitely deserved it and the CHP guy could have been much harder on me. I was probably(cough cough) going 100+ on the highway and maybe chirped the tires when shifting into 2nd from the freeway exit light. CHP was so far behind they had to use the siren to clear traffic and catch up to me [emoji17]

He clocked me on the 405 a mile before my exit. On the exit he claimed I was "scooting" and "accellerating quickly". Said I reached 55mph within a couple blocks from a dead stop when I was barely shifting out of 2nd... Which I think was exaggerated a bit to scare me since I was fighting wheel hop. CHP car was a bit behind so not sure how accurate that is. Either way I was going too fast and driving 'unsafe'.

Tips for dealing with law enforcement (doesn't always work but usually helps). I believe this is what saved me today.
-pull over, windows down, car off, music off, hazards on, hands where they can see them, if at night turn on inside lights.
-BE polite don't BS them (i.e. don't say "I don't know why you pulled me over" that makes you look dumb or like a liar).
-keep your cool. Regardless what they are doing or saying they can make your day MUCH worse. Take it on the chin and move on. I've seen minor things turn into arrests over some hothead trying to get his 2cents in to a cop. Sometimes they lecture you and let you go so arguing will never help.

The CHP was obviously unhappy with my driving and told me all the laws I broke and their consequences. I let him talk, was polite and apologized. I told him I had the #1 excuse in the world of running behind for work.

Surprisingly my ticket is just for speeding at "approx 90mph" and he said I can do traffic school. Much better than a 100mph+ ticket and reckless driving or speed exhibition.

Must learn breathing exercises so the guy in his Prius doing 10mph below the limit while on his phone doesn't irk me as much. Also a little more responsible driving and time management would help.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Sounds like he was pretty cool in light of the fact that those speeds usually get an officer's blood boiling. Clearly he didn't get a precise speed reading on you so maybe that also helped make him decide not to write the ticket as a more serious offense.

JDG

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Sounds like a ticket you can fight fairly easily to at least ensure you don't get any points on your license and your insurance doesn't go up.

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
I'm a lawyer who has handled many speeding tickets over the course of 30+ years of practice. Your approach was exactly correct, especially not bullshitting them. If they are inclined to give you a break that will be more likely if you're polite and have your papers in order, and will never happen if you're an asshole. It's good to have your license and registration out when they come up so you're not fumbling around looking for them, have them in a quickly accessible place for that purpose.
Also, if you like to drive fast,like almost all of us with fast cars do, don't be doing anything else wrong. Have your inspection and registration up to date, and don't smell even a little bit like alcohol,even if you're way under the DWI limit. I tell people, only violate one law at a time.

OP
HBEcoBeaST

HBEcoBeaST

Thread Starter #5
Sounds like he was pretty cool in light of the fact that those speeds usually get an officer's blood boiling. Clearly he didn't get a precise speed reading on you so maybe that also helped make him decide not to write the ticket as a more serious offense.
Yea he came up all hot and bothered but I just practiced my above mentioned advice. My speedo was theoretically around 110 and any type of tire noise usually has big consequences. Still feel really lucky. He seemed kind of surprised I didn't have much to say after his lecture and I told him I was late for work but still shouldn't be speeding. Looked like he was expecting me to mouth off lol. I'm smarter than that.

OP
HBEcoBeaST

HBEcoBeaST

Thread Starter #6
Sounds like a ticket you can fight fairly easily to at least ensure you don't get any points on your license and your insurance doesn't go up.
Since it's just for speeding as long as I can do traffic school I'm going to take the ticket since it will erase points too. I was doing a few other things wrong and speed exhibition and wreckless driving are much easier for them to get you with since it's more of a he said she said thing. I think a speeding ticket and traffic school are a good deal for me.

OP
HBEcoBeaST

HBEcoBeaST

Thread Starter #7
I'm a lawyer who has handled many speeding tickets over the course of 30+ years of practice. Your approach was exactly correct, especially not bullshitting them. If they are inclined to give you a break that will be more likely if you're polite and have your papers in order, and will never happen if you're an asshole. It's good to have your license and registration out when they come up so you're not fumbling around looking for them, have them in a quickly accessible place for that purpose.
Also, if you like to drive fast,like almost all of us with fast cars do, don't be doing anything else wrong. Have your inspection and registration up to date, and don't smell even a little bit like alcohol,even if you're way under the DWI limit. I tell people, only violate one law at a time.
Very very good advice. I try not to drive too outwardly extravagant but it happens. Last thing you need is a speeding ticket turning into a DUI or something else much worse.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Good job of handling yourslef properly and ya you dodged a bullet. I got out of a ticket on the 101 by being this way. I also got a 92 plus ticket on the 5 in the Central Valley reduced to 80 plus by being polite and admitting I was speeding. It was a oncoming radar ticket from one of those Super Charged Chargers the CHP runs. I saw him going to the opposite direction and was like oh f and slowed to speed limit. Watched him pull a u turn in the center median.
You definitely could have got your car impounded and taken to jail had you tried to be a smart ass. I usually don't go over 80 here in SoCal it's pretty well known that the CHP won't pull you over as long as you stay 80 and under here. That's probably why he came up hot and bothered.
Congrats on handling it like an adult and diffusing it.

KnockOff

1000 Post Club
Here is a lil story.

I was driving to work tawards San Diego going south on the 15. As rancho California exit this dude in a black slightly lifted ranger was next to me kina weaving in his lane a lil bit and if increased or decreased my speed he stayed with me. After trying that a couple times I downshifted to 4th and punched it. Looked in my mirror and thought ok that's enough space and let off to go back down towards normal speed. Looked up and saw a chp putting his radar gun away I thought f**k! Just started pulling over right then. By the time he got to me I was on the shoulder car off hazards on. I asked if he saw the ranger swerving. He said no.... your lights were brighter. Oookkkaaayyy. After that I took what he had to say. Had my stuff ready when he got to my car. That car does not have ac installed so i asked if I could stand outside he said that was fine. Ticket was for 103 in a 70. Uphill lol. Marked it as traffic instead of a misdemeanor. Went to court because you must for that speed. Judge said before he started stated if you are here for going over 100 mph you will have your license suspended! No question. Pled no contest. He asked if I could pay the $836 fine today. I said yes. The look on his face [emoji35]. Like daddy was paying it or something. That was my money I earned. It hurt for sure. Then the wife was pissed at the fine. Can you blame her lol? That's was my last speeding ticket like 6 years ago. Knock on wood I won't get any more.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

OP
HBEcoBeaST

HBEcoBeaST

Thread Starter #10
Good job of handling yourslef properly and ya you dodged a bullet. I got out of a ticket on the 101 by being this way. I also got a 92 plus ticket on the 5 in the Central Valley reduced to 80 plus by being polite and admitting I was speeding. It was a oncoming radar ticket from one of those Super Charged Chargers the CHP runs. I saw him going to the opposite direction and was like oh f and slowed to speed limit. Watched him pull a u turn in the center median.
You definitely could have got your car impounded and taken to jail had you tried to be a smart ass. I usually don't go over 80 here in SoCal it's pretty well known that the CHP won't pull you over as long as you stay 80 and under here. That's probably why he came up hot and bothered.
Congrats on handling it like an adult and diffusing it.
Watching them u turn for you is the worst....

I believe attitude really helps save yourself from the worst.

OP
HBEcoBeaST

HBEcoBeaST

Thread Starter #11
Here is a lil story.

I was driving to work tawards San Diego going south on the 15. As rancho California exit this dude in a black slightly lifted ranger was next to me kina weaving in his lane a lil bit and if increased or decreased my speed he stayed with me. After trying that a couple times I downshifted to 4th and punched it. Looked in my mirror and thought ok that's enough space and let off to go back down towards normal speed. Looked up and saw a chp putting his radar gun away I thought f**k! Just started pulling over right then. By the time he got to me I was on the shoulder car off hazards on. I asked if he saw the ranger swerving. He said no.... your lights were brighter. Oookkkaaayyy. After that I took what he had to say. Had my stuff ready when he got to my car. That car does not have ac installed so i asked if I could stand outside he said that was fine. Ticket was for 103 in a 70. Uphill lol. Marked it as traffic instead of a misdemeanor. Went to court because you must for that speed. Judge said before he started stated if you are here for going over 100 mph you will have your license suspended! No question. Pled no contest. He asked if I could pay the $836 fine today. I said yes. The look on his face [emoji35]. Like daddy was paying it or something. That was my money I earned. It hurt for sure. Then the wife was pissed at the fine. Can you blame her lol? That's was my last speeding ticket like 6 years ago. Knock on wood I won't get any more.

Ugh that sucks. I know in hindsight and all but pointing out crap drivers or other 'law breakers' around you is a pet peeve of cops. They already pulled you over, they aren't going to speed off in pursuit of another offending vehicle and let you go.

That sucks about the 103 ticket. Over 100 they can try and get you for racing or reckless driving. Really expensive fines but at least no time served and you got to keep your car with 2pts on your license?

After losing my bike, motorcycle license AND getting arrested I try everything to stay under 100mph. Today was one of a handful of times (should be none) that I achieved these speeds.

OP
HBEcoBeaST

HBEcoBeaST

Thread Starter #13
Here is a lil story.

Without AC what car we're you in? Cops hate certain cars.

My corvette didn't start getting pulled over until I put a big wing on it. Same with my mx-5 Once it got a roll cage and wheels cops would be watching me like no other. My tundra that had +/-500hp but looked stock NEVER gets pulled over. The FiST? Doesn't really Garner attention either.

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
I think in this situation, where you've been pulled by a cop, it's a good idea to put yourself in his or her position. I have found through the years that this is a good thing in many situations in life. If I'm a cop, and I have just pulled you, my first concern is whether you're going to shoot me. Some of the things that the OP suggested help with that, like having the windows open and having the lights on if it's at night. Definitely have your hands where they can see them. You don't want to get shot either. They also almost always run your information before they get out of the car, so they can see if you have any warrants out for your arrest or if you seem to be a fleeing felon. So hopefully at this point they're fairly confident you're not going to shoot them.
The second thing that they worry about is whether you're going to take off after they get out of their car, and whether they're then going to have to chase you. Car chases look like a lot of fun on the Dukes of Hazzard but in real life, there are lots of opportunities for you, them or innocent bystanders to get hurt or killed, and lots of liability concerns. The OPā€™s suggestion that you have your car turned off helps in that regard because it would take you a little longer to start it and take off.

Once those two concerns are out of the way, their main concern is that they think you've done something really dangerous by speeding, particularly if you're going really fast. I have not always agreed with that and feel like I'm fairly safe because my car is in such good shape, I'm a fairly decent driver, and if I'm driving fast, I'm generally not distracted either, I'm not doing something else like talking on the phone or yelling at the kids. how many people bought a nice tire gauge and check their tires every 3 weeks with it? I think a distracted driver in a crappy car with worn-out tires and bad shocks may be more dangerous than me at a slower speed. However, we don't get to have two speed limits in society, one for people with decent cars (which would tend to be people with more money), and one for people with crappy cars with worn-out shocks and underinflated tires. Therefore, if you show some remorse, possibly by saying something like ā€œI'm sorry officer, I was going too fast, my speed just crept up on me,ā€ then their goal of showing you that you have done something dangerous is at least partially fulfilled. I once did that with an officer who had pulled me for minor speeding ~70 in a 55, and he ended up giving me a break, and was so relaxed by the end of the conversation we were just talking like two old friends. As I pulled off after not getting a ticket he said ā€œHave a nice night sir.ā€ That doesn't happen often, but if you do all the right things it's more likely.
Again, put yourself in their position.

Without AC what car we're you in? Cops hate certain cars.

My corvette didn't start getting pulled over until I put a big wing on it. Same with my mx-5 Once it got a roll cage and wheels cops would be watching me like no other. My tundra that had +/-500hp but looked stock NEVER gets pulled over. The FiST? Doesn't really Garner attention either.

In for motorcycle story. What happened?

OP
HBEcoBeaST

HBEcoBeaST

Thread Starter #16
Yes. The old u-turn you watch in your rear view mirror is a bad feeling, made worse by some a-hole Ohio State Trooper giving you a ticket because he clocked you doing 62 in a 55 zone at 6 AM on an empty 4 lane divided highway.
That sucks. It's hit or miss in California but they will get all crazy about tire poke, exhaust noise level, illegal mods, front window tint, etc if they want to make life harder for you.

Technically I have 'illegal' front tint and an 'illegal' mod with my AP v3 (I keep mine unplugged in dash box in case I get pulled over)

I had something like this happen to me on my Suzuki SV1000. It was an unusually warm day in January and I went for a ride and was pulling onto an on ramp and opened it up. I know I was going over 100 but quickly let off as I was entering traffic. He pulled me over shortly after. "Did you not see me behind you?"
"No, Sir...I'm very sorry, there is no excuse"
"I clocked you at 90 and this is a 55mph zone but I'll say we were a mile up the road here and it was a 65mph zone so you won't get a reckless. Look, from how you took that corner you seem like you can ride but you just can't hit speeds like that out here. I know its a nice day but I just want you to be careful."
I've never been thankful for a speeding ticket before...

Yes. The old u-turn you watch in your rear view mirror is a bad feeling, made worse by some a-hole Ohio State Trooper giving you a ticket because he clocked you doing 62 in a 55 zone at 6 AM on an empty 4 lane divided highway.
OHIO State Troopers are the worst. I worked for a company where I had to travel overnight to the site and I dreaded driving through Ohio.

That sucks. It's hit or miss in California but they will get all crazy about tire poke, exhaust noise level, illegal mods, front window tint, etc if they want to make life harder for you.

Technically I have 'illegal' front tint and an 'illegal' mod with my AP v3 (I keep mine unplugged in dash box in case I get pulled over)

That is one thing that seems so heartbreaking to me. I can understand some mods being illegal but some of them out there and other places are absolutely insane. Thank god I live in a state where you can just about do anything you want to your car. Its so awesome. You can literally build a car from scratch and get it titled and plated. Something as silly as an AP being illegal there is sooooo dumb.

OP
HBEcoBeaST

HBEcoBeaST

Thread Starter #20
In for motorcycle story. What happened?
Short story? Crotch rocket and Being stupid on public roads.

20 years old
2006 Ducati 749 dark (when flat black was cheaper and not cool yet)
'R' upgrades, Termigioni exhaust, intake mod, re flash, other bells and whistles.

15 highway out by Mojave because I was bored and mods were new. Perfect stretch of miles open, straight road. Rode back and forth on a stretch of road for a few times as a safety sweep before I decided to see what each gear topped out at (had just upgraded gearing).

CHP was off the road in a ditch and watched me the whole time. Saw me doing low speed passes and knew I was going for it. Clocked me in at 137mph in 4th... When I saw the lights I had shifted to 5th and speedo indicated 156 and she was still pulling. Who knows how accurate that Ducs speedo really was anyways but it was really fast.

I thought about not stopping but I was in the middle of nowhere and running from the law usually only works if it's pre meditated and/or in the movies.

Cop caught up. Ordered me on the ground away from my bike, had me ditch my gear before he even approached me. Scary experience. Told me at those speeds if I "hit a tumbleweed you'd be roadkill". Didn't help that I had a CCW and had to delare my Beretta in the storage compartment. Tried to bring up how I was an Eagle Scout and all that but he wasn't having it.

Arrested for street racing (myself?) and another BS misdemeanor charge similar to reckless endangerment?, Excessive speeding, and reckless driving.

AND my parents had to pick me up about 2 hours from home. That was an awesome car ride back...

CHP made a statement saying I was cooperative and respectful. Misdemeanors we're dropped but I had to pay for towing and destruction of the bike. And my motorcycle license was suspended for 4 years.

Never again. I was being really dumb. Still sad I never got to see that vehicles top speed but the road is NOT the place to do it. I'm happy I didn't hurt anyone or myself.