Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Pro Alloy coolant tank installed - pics and install impressions

Trader history for ron@whoosh (1)

ron@whoosh

3000 Post Club
Vendor
Premium Account
I had a chance to install one of our Pro Alloy tanks tonight.
This tank has the outside dimensions of the stock tank, maybe slightly smaller. It literally fits perfectly and well, take a look at the pictures...the craftsmanship speaks for itself...
This is one amazing piece

The sight glass is a must have in my opinion.
When installed, I just removed the passenger side headlight. Used a modded half gallon milk container (left the handle intact / don't laugh)
Didn't spill but a few drops this way.
One thing I changed was removing the OEM spring clamp from the lower hose and replaced it with a euro clamp instead. Cleaner and easier for me.

Enjoy the pics.

Link to product on the site>>> https://whoosh-motorsports.myshopify.com/collections/2014-2017-ford-fiesta-st/products/pro-alloy-2014-fiesta-st-alloy-header-coolant-tank-pending

What are the advantages of having this instead of the stock tank, other than aesthetics?

What are the advantages of having this instead of the stock tank, other than aesthetics?
Back when Mishimoto was creating their tank, they got a lot of questions like this and some blow back. Basically, yes, it is an aesthetic piece, but a much more durable piece. Mishimoto stated that the plastic does deteriorate and becomes brittle. I can vouch for this plastic becoming brittle (past cars), at least where mounting points are concerned, but this is often after many years of use. Heat is a female dog! Given the cramped nature of the engine bay it is often necessary to remove/relocate the tank to open up areas more. Naturally, the more you mess with the plastic tank the more chances you have to brake it. Granted our tanks are not screwed down, which helps, but it is still secured in a way that it could crack if forced. Again, this might not happen until maybe 10 (give or take) a few years down the road. It is a very nice looking piece over the stock tank though.

KnockOff

1000 Post Club
Yea the plastic on my old focus and my buddy's focus the tanks just cracked out of nowhere. I did find the newer style replacement for 25 bucks but that's beside the point.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

OP
ron@whoosh

ron@whoosh

3000 Post Club
Vendor
Premium Account
Thread Starter #8
Back when Mishimoto was creating their tank, they got a lot of questions like this and some blow back. Basically, yes, it is an aesthetic piece, but a much more durable piece. Mishimoto stated that the plastic does deteriorate and becomes brittle. I can vouch for this plastic becoming brittle (past cars), at least where mounting points are concerned, but this is often after many years of use. Heat is a female dog! Given the cramped nature of the engine bay it is often necessary to remove/relocate the tank to open up areas more. Naturally, the more you mess with the plastic tank the more chances you have to brake it. Granted our tanks are not screwed down, which helps, but it is still secured in a way that it could crack if forced. Again, this might not happen until maybe 10 (give or take) a few years down the road. It is a very nice looking piece over the stock tank though.
this is a great response - thank you

the Pro Alloy tank is bolted to both mounting points

the only other thing I would mention is when you have a race car, you do race car things.....[lovest]

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Once my OEM plastic tank gets many miles and years on it, and therefore becomes much more likely to crack and leak, I will get one of these and probably paint it with the high heat VHT caliper satin black paint as to not jump out and appear conspicuous to a warranty dealership (IF I even still have a power train warranty by that time!).

My brother had to pay over $250.00 for a crappy, ill fitting, China made plastic tank for his POS Boxster, since the 'great/infallible' OEM Teuton made one cracked and leaked like a sieve, ruining the liner of his trunk area, and leaving a permanent stink of old, acidic, used coolant in that whole area of the car.
The actual German made OEM ones ran upwards of $600.00! [crazyeye]

OP
ron@whoosh

ron@whoosh

3000 Post Club
Vendor
Premium Account
Thread Starter #10
Once my OEM plastic tank gets many miles and years on it, and therefore becomes much more likely to crack and leak, I will get one of these and probably paint it with the high heat VHT caliper satin black paint as to not jump out and appear conspicuous to a warranty dealership (IF I even still have a power train warranty by that time!).

My brother had to pay over $250.00 for a crappy, ill fitting, China made plastic tank for his POS Boxster, since the 'great/infallible' OEM Teuton made one cracked and leaked like a sieve, ruining the liner of his trunk area, and leaving a permanent stink of old, acidic, used coolant in that whole area of the car.
The actual German made OEM ones ran upwards of $600.00! [crazyeye]
no need to get you rattle cans out, they come in powder coated satin black

OP
ron@whoosh

ron@whoosh

3000 Post Club
Vendor
Premium Account
Thread Starter #12
not everyone is on the forums folks...

here are some happy Pro Alloy customers

one powder coated his Pro Alloy tank with sight glass to match his other engine bay parts
and another has a satin black Pro Alloy tank because he didn't want the flashy polished look

OP
ron@whoosh

ron@whoosh

3000 Post Club
Vendor
Premium Account
Thread Starter #14
NICE! [thumb]

Is the capacity the same as the factory tank (NOT that it matters, just curious ;) )?
I should know this
but I don't sadly....

I will tell you this, I didn't spill anything when I swapped mine over
After filling the Pro Alloy tank with everything drained from the OEM, the sight glass shows just a smidge over half way full which I thought was appropriate [like]

OP
ron@whoosh

ron@whoosh

3000 Post Club
Vendor
Premium Account
Thread Starter #15
we have some polished tanks with sight glass in stock, ready to ship

Jabbit

2000 Post Club
I had a chance to install one of our Pro Alloy tanks tonight.
One thing I changed was removing the OEM spring clamp from the lower hose and replaced it with a euro clamp instead. Cleaner and easier for me.
Any more info on this euro clamp? My factory spring clamp thing won't fit into the lower connection.

OP
ron@whoosh

ron@whoosh

3000 Post Club
Vendor
Premium Account
Thread Starter #17
Any more info on this euro clamp? My factory spring clamp thing won't fit into the lower connection.
I don't remember the size , this PA tank was installed almost 5 years ago
If you measure the hose OD , any worm gear clamp would work. I just prefer the norma torro style

1681485357885.png