Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Motul dctf or 300?

KnockOff

1000 Post Club
Witch one do you all use and recommend?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

felopr

i like DCTF better than 300, i have tried both.

OP
KnockOff

KnockOff

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #3
Thank you sir.

Ok 1 vote for dctf!

felopr

What made you not like it?

For me, comparing them both
While hot, they feel the same both cold, the 300 felt it make the tranny more clunky, was harder to get into 1st. I havent look at the specs sheet but i bet the 300 is more heavy compared to the 300. I don't know if it was that or that i made sure to fill the tranny by the service manual spec (dctf) vs pouring the oil out, measuring how much it was and adding what i take out (300)

HBEcoBeaST

I just switched from stock to motul 300. I noticed a difference but honestly was expecting a bigger change.

Definitely more solid feeling and an improvement over OEM. Takes a little more effort to move the lever and my normal transmission sounds are much quieter. I like it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

JDG

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
I just switched from stock to motul 300. I noticed a difference but honestly was expecting a bigger change.

Definitely more solid feeling and an improvement over OEM. Takes a little more effort to move the lever and my normal transmission sounds are much quieter. I like it.

I had the exact same experience after changing to Motul 300 75W-90 from the stock fluid at ~25K miles. It's not terrible on a cold morning and heats up quick. It is reassuring seeing how much thicker is it than the stock fluid (which resembles water) and I wonder if it will delay the weeping axle seals.

neeqness

1000 Post Club
I used both and prefer the 300 as well (I've only used it down to 33 degrees). There is a Motul 300 topic out there too with lots of feedback. Basically, the DCTF feels a lot like stock fluid but slightly more smoother. While the 300 is a lot smoother although it is also somewhat thicker (it gets even smoother once broken in). In warmer climates not an issue though for most unless you like that feel of the stock fluid.

So...I've found if you like how the oem fluid feels overall, you will most likely prefer DCTF. However if you feel the oem fluid is too thin or too clunky, then you may most likely prefer the 300.

I've seen I think a couple of people who live in colder climates claim to use DCTF in winter and 300 in summer...

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

slowcord you are correct. the difference is quite noticeable after you change fluids.i really felt it from 4th to 5th gear.

OP
KnockOff

KnockOff

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #14
I'm in socal but it was 26Ā° here the other night. Now I'm torn. Was almost set on dctf.

I run Redline DCTF in my fiesta. Even in sub zero temperatures I donā€™t have any issues. It didnā€™t change much around town, but when shifting at high rpm Iā€™ve noticed an improvement. Flat foot shifting is gravy with the Redline fluid.

HBEcoBeaST

I'm in socal but it was 26Ā° here the other night. Now I'm torn. Was almost set on dctf.

Honestly 300 is not 'bad' cold. Just a little more stiff feeling the first 60seconds or so of your drive. Haven't done a back to back with dctf so no comment there. But I have anecdotally heard dctf is better for colder climates since it's thinner and 300 is better for warmer climates due to it's thickness. Unless you're in the mountains I doubt it's frequently that cold by you.

I'm sure both types of fluid do a great job over OEM fluid.

OP
KnockOff

KnockOff

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #17
Since it is more often hot than cold here it seems 300 is the way to go.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I've seen I think a couple of people who live in colder climates claim to use DCTF in winter and 300 in summer.
That's what I was planning on doing (still have the two liters of their DCTF in the basement) and Gear 300 in it now, but I may just try the Ravenol MTF-2 from Ron (Whoosh) in the spring, since that is basically a thin, DCT viscosity, gear oil (like a lower viscosity Red Line MTL).

It will shift very well in sub-zero temps, allow sychros to engage properly, is more 'stout' and will not shear down as quickly as the factory Motorcraft fluid (or even the Motul DCTF, which yes, just like the Red Line DCT is more stout/shear resistant than the factory stuff due to both of them using a good amount of POE in their base stocks) and therefore protect the gears, sliders, and bearings better.

Best of all, it IS certified for the Ford B6 transaxle spec. ;) (The Red Line DCT, and Motul Gear 300 are not. :( )

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
That's what I was planning on doing (still have the two liters of their DCTF in the basement) and Gear 300 in it now, but I may just try the Ravenol MTF-2 from Ron (Whoosh) in the spring, since that is basically a thin, DCT viscosity, gear oil (like a lower viscosity Red Line MTL).

It will shift very well in sub-zero temps, allow sychros to engage properly, is more 'stout' and will not shear down as quickly as the factory Motorcraft fluid (or even the Motul DCTF, which yes, just like the Red Line DCT is more stout/shear resistant than the factory stuff due to both of them using a good amount of POE in their base stocks) and therefore protect the gears, sliders, and bearings better.

Best of all, it IS certified for the Ford B6 transaxle spec. ;) (The Red Line DCT, and Motul Gear 300 are not. :( )
You convinced me. Just ordered some. It's going in at 5000 miles.

neeqness

1000 Post Club

There is a whole discussion in the motul 300 thread why so many people have chosen motul 300 over stock fluid (which is also certified btw). The 300 comes highly recommended also from "bob the oil guy" site which do very thorough analysis of these lubricants for their purposes.

At the time of the previous thread, motul DCTF was not certified either (it is now), however having worked with machinery and knowing from personal experience the symptoms of lubricants not performing effectively for long term use, I do not feel comfortable with the oem fluid in my transmission. This is what prompted me to look for a substitute, regardless of whether it's certified or not. The 300 has exceeded my expectations and again it comes highly recommended by those who know their stuff and have no financial ties to the automotive industry.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk