Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

How long do your tires last?

HBEcoBeaST

I know many of you run agressive tires, UHP, 200 treadwear and RSRs. How long do your tires last and which tires are you using? (Size and mileage please)

My car came with brand new imove gen 2 AS tires 380 treadwear. Rotated after 7,000miles and they look pretty worn, especially the fronts. I'm hoping I will get another 7K out of them. I drive spirited but nothing crazy. Maybe it's just the tires? Definitely expected better treadlife.

Contemplating a lightweight 16" set up with slipstreams and stickier tires(205/50r16) but weary of replacing tires too often. I would like something that lasts at least 15,000miles... Is that too much to ask?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

alexrex20

1000 Post Club
In my experience the stickier tires last longer because you have a lot less wheelspin. Ignore the treadwear rating. The stock RE050s are rated at 140 (stupid low) and I've done 3 track days on them and about to roll 17k on them. They're just about done but I'd consider this a lot of life for a 140 UTQG tire that's driven hard on the street and on the track.

I'm looking hard at the Federal 595 Evo in 215/40-17 for my next tires.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

OP
HBEcoBeaST

HBEcoBeaST

Thread Starter #3
In my experience the stickier tires last longer because you have a lot less wheelspin. Ignore the treadwear rating. The stock RE050s are rated at 140 (stupid low) and I've done 3 track days on them and about to roll 17k on them. They're just about done but I'd consider this a lot of life for a 140 UTQG tire that's driven hard on the street and on the track.

Well that's encouraging because 17K is better than what I'm likely to get out of my current tires. Online they are around $55ea so I shouldn't expect too much out of the igen 2s.

I didn't think about wheelspin more so turning. My rears had noticeable wear too.

Interested in your feedback on the federals. They look awesome and I like the price. Would consider those if I go 17x7.5 or 17x8. I've heard the RSRs are loud but IME most track tires are.

Buy some RS4’s and let us know how long they last! My guess would be around 20k

Pete

Rotate your tires at 3,000 mile intervals.
OEM RE050A last me about 8,000 miles. Hankook RS3 lasted me 7,000 miles. ZII star specs lasted me 14,000 miles. RE71R lasted me 9,000 miles (two sets were the same mileage)

It all really depends on your driving, how fast the car can carry speed, how fast you brake, if you trail brake, how fast you accelerate, wheel spin, how much power/torque the car has and how sideways you get.

cxwrench

So you never corner hard?

My oem Bridgestones are at 30k and still have a little life. I relegated them to autocross duty until they die and am running new Firehawks as daily drivers. I rotate at 10k and drive aggressively.

OP
HBEcoBeaST

HBEcoBeaST

Thread Starter #9
Rotate your tires at 3,000 mile intervals.
OEM RE050A last me about 8,000 miles. Hankook RS3 lasted me 7,000 miles. ZII star specs lasted me 14,000 miles. RE71R lasted me 9,000 miles (two sets were the same mileage)

It all really depends on your driving, how fast the car can carry speed, how fast you brake, if you trail brake, how fast you accelerate, wheel spin, how much power/torque the car has and how sideways you get.
Thanks now that's solid info. ZIIs were on my short list of sticky tires. How's the noise and wet grip?

For some reason I thought harder tires could go longer between rotations. Maybe I'm treating the FiST too much like a standard economy car.

I really like your set up. Are you running 16s and 205/50s? I like 16 for lighter weight and better ride. Really like the look of 17x7.5 Titans and 215/45 or 40s but don't want to give up performance.

OP
HBEcoBeaST

HBEcoBeaST

Thread Starter #10
My oem Bridgestones are at 30k and still have a little life. I relegated them to autocross duty until they die and am running new Firehawks as daily drivers. I rotate at 10k and drive aggressively.
Lucky. Many get half that mileage from stockers.

I'm considering the Indy 500s if I can't find a livable 200ish treadwear that lasts at least a year (about15,000mi).

Pete

Thanks now that's solid info. ZIIs were on my short list of sticky tires. How's the noise and wet grip?

For some reason I thought harder tires could go longer between rotations. Maybe I'm treating the FiST too much like a standard economy car.

I really like your set up. Are you running 16s and 205/50s? I like 16 for lighter weight and better ride. Really like the look of 17x7.5 Titans and 215/45 or 40s but don't want to give up performance.

Currently I'm back on stock wheels. and tires. I did run the 16x7 rota slipstream with 205/45/16 re71r as well as in 205/50/16 size. With the 50 series I would rub on very hard corners. I ran the rs3 in 215/45/17 and that was a ton of rubbing in the stock suspension, I ended up lifting the car with coilboosters for that set up. In my avatar picture that was 17x8 1552 wheels with a 235/35/17 bfg r1 racing tire. If you plan on going with a wilwood big brake kit the smallest wheel I would do is 16. If sticking with oem brakes a 15" wheel will save you the most weight.

OP
HBEcoBeaST

HBEcoBeaST

Thread Starter #12
Currently I'm back on stock wheels. and tires. I did run the 16x7 rota slipstream with 205/45/16 re71r as well as in 205/50/16 size. With the 50 series I would rub on very hard corners. I ran the rs3 in 215/45/17 and that was a ton of rubbing in the stock suspension, I ended up lifting the car with coilboosters for that set up. In my avatar picture that was 17x8 1552 wheels with a 235/35/17 bfg r1 racing tire. If you plan on going with a wilwood big brake kit the smallest wheel I would do is 16. If sticking with oem brakes a 15" wheel will save you the most weight.
Jeeze according to tireracks specs the re71r in 205/50r16 has the same dimensions as other 205/50s that people say fit. For aesthetics I don't think I could go smaller than 16". I wouldn't mind a meaty 215/45r17 on a 7.5wide rim but if it rubs...

Again I appreciate your real world feedback. Last thing I need is to mount tires on new rims and have them not fit the car.

I'm stock height too. No plans for lowering as I have quite a few steep driveways and dips along my commute.

Pete

Jeeze according to tireracks specs the re71r in 205/50r16 has the same dimensions as other 205/50s that people say fit. For aesthetics I don't think I could go smaller than 16". I wouldn't mind a meaty 215/45r17 on a 7.5wide rim but if it rubs...

Again I appreciate your real world feedback. Last thing I need is to mount tires on new rims and have them not fit the car.

I'm stock height too. No plans for lowering as I have quite a few steep driveways and dips along my commute.

Well when I was on the 205/50/16 I was lowered on Ford racing coil overs. Also every wheel has different offsets so make sure to keep an eye on that. Also the stickier tire you go the more body roll you can create with higher g forces around turns. The re71r is the best gripping 200treadwear tire. Although lots of new tires coming out I can't wait to experience.

cxwrench

I guess your car isn't fast enough to spin the tires all through 2nd.
Wow...intelligent comment considering we have the same cars. I really doubt many people go WOT from a stop all the time but there are likely a lot of guys hammering the twisties, auto-crossing and doing track days. Think about that before you reply.

alexrex20

1000 Post Club
Maybe you should read the entire comment before you reply, particularly my first comment. Just because you drive slow on the street doesn't mean every else does. Just because your car can't spin the tires through 2nd gear doesn't mean others' can't. Think about that before you comment.

I got about 20k miles out of the re071 tires. About half were straight up highway, the other half spirited street and backroad hoonage. No drag pulls but a few, clutch conscous launches. Thinking back now the tires had a lot of feedback that helped me learn the car. They definitely slipped when cornering hard relative to the Indy 500s which I would guess led to their accelerated wear. Would I have done 80% highway they probably could have lasted 30k. Which I would guess would defy the 140 rating. Overall I think they’re kind of pricey but are rated conservatively - when fitted and used on an otherwise stock car.

I got about 20k miles out of the re071 tires. About half were straight up highway, the other half spirited street and backroad hoonage. No drag pulls but a few, clutch conscous launches. Thinking back now the tires had a lot of feedback that helped me learn the car. They definitely slipped when cornering hard relative to the Indy 500s which I would guess led to their accelerated wear. Would I have done 80% highway they probably could have lasted 30k. Which I would guess would defy the 140 rating. Overall I think they’re kind of pricey but are rated conservatively - when fitted and used on an otherwise stock car.
Anyone know what re071 tires are? I’m not a hipster so this escapes me. Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk