Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

VTT X Panda Motorworks Cast Fiesta ST Turbo upgrade

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Are any of those Garrett turbos quick spool though?

I need something that can pull hard from 2500-5000rpm~
from 10-60~ mph for city driving when the traffic lanes open up.

Not really into roll races though. Just need that power when I see a car change lane and it's open, then time to step on it and pass like 8 cars.
Read into the GT2554R...a couple members including myself have utilized them with success....I did a ton of reading before I got mine. Sad thing is mine is still in the box...but I have ridden in a FiST with practically the same setup as I have. I was impressed...I didn't like the issues I've seen with a lot of the hybrids. Garrett is proven and is quality made. I'm not looking for high HP ...just a fun little heartbreaker that reliable. Remember....Research....Read....Read....Research...most of all enjoy it for awhile! Pass on some knowledge of them to help others. The setup up I have gas some Trick pieces into it that make it very tasty and I'm very anxious for the weeks ahead and the tuning I'll do with stratified....hopefully if everything goes according to plan. I'll make a thread and post my results when I do...keep an eye out!

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

you got until may 2 when brainerd opens up for wensday night street drags. we will run against each other. my x37 with cpe intercooler against your garret. looser buys a hamburger and a pop at the concession stand. what say you? boyracer

of course it is really just for fun......

ps if you need a helper passing tools etc say the word. I did all of mine and ripped it apart twice for the intercooler besides....

Last edited:

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
you got until may 2 when brainerd opens up for wensday night street drags. we will run against each other. my x37 with cpe intercooler against your garret. looser buys a hamburger and a pop at the concession stand. what say you? boyracer

of course it is really just for fun......

ps if you need a helper passing tools etc say the word. I did all of mine and ripped it apart twice for the intercooler besides....
Hmmm...I'll take that

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Shows how ignorant you are. Every single RS Vargas turbo failed. And some of them broke apart and cause engine and other damage. It has been proven the turbo cause the damage Not because the RS is "unreliable". Nobody has this issue on stock turbo or other turbo options like precision or ets kit etc. Sure they have issues and have the head gasket recall going and some throw rods when modded etc but not cuz of the turbo. And this turbo didnt really do any more power than stock turbo. Tony got run out of the RS community and call all RS owners idiots. He said something similar to fiesta owners a while back when this turbo was 1st announced. Also other communities have similar issues with him. You may call this trolling but if youre not 1 bit concern then you deserve the consequences. Enjoy your non warranty turbo that probably wont do more power than a x47

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
In Tony Turbo’s defense, he’s consistent. A quick Google search will show that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quisp

1000 Post Club
Are any of those Garrett turbos quick spool though?

I need something that can pull hard from 2500-5000rpm~
from 10-60~ mph for city driving when the traffic lanes open up.

Not really into roll races though. Just need that power when I see a car change lane and it's open, then time to step on it and pass like 8 cars.
Stock turbo E30 tune.

AzNightmare

How fast do you guys generally go before you hit boost in one of these bigger, later spooling turbos?

I'm trying to stay civilized by not going past 50 in the city with 30 speed limits. Do you all just rip it around anyway or you all live outside of the city or something?
Been trying to figure this one out, or I have this flawed misconception about big turbos..??

Stock turbo E30 tune.
Not a bad idea, I just got my E30 tune last fall, but I haven't finalized my tune due to winter. But I don't have a convenient way to get Ethanol. Might be a fun short term plan, but I don't see it sustainable long term for me.

jeff

2000 Post Club
How fast do you guys generally go before you hit boost in one of these bigger, later spooling turbos?

I'm trying to stay civilized by not going past 50 in the city with 30 speed limits. Do you all just rip it around anyway or you all live outside of the city or something?
Been trying to figure this one out, or I have this flawed misconception about big turbo.
This is a great point I’ve discussed in the past in reviewing my setup. Stock power is enjoyable around town. With BT or hybrid you’re gaining power in the upper rev range. When you’re there you’re doing 60-100mph. When I upgraded it was awesome but I found that really the only place to enjoy that new power was interstate, track, or Mexico. It’s a reality that should be considered. If you live in a big city and do mostly city driving you’re going to make little use of any upgraded turbo setup unless you track it on the weekend. Of course, put safety and speed limit concerns aside and you can have lots of fun on the street but that’s not very intelligent IMHO.

Quisp

1000 Post Club
With the tuning process almost complete on my X47 R I agree with Jeff . The cars a whole nother animal and needs it's space . If I didn't get such a deal on my setup I'd of stuck with E30 tune.

HBEcoBeaST

I really appreciate the input on the upgraded turbo's real-world useability.

The low-end torque of my Stratified e30 tune is addicting and I'm not sure my license or my driving antics would be satisfied by a high-revving HP monster. Even in 6th gear on the highway there's plenty of grunt for passing, my girlfriend calls it 'turbo mode' lol. I'm already prone to driving spirited+ around town and I've used up my 1 speeding ticket for the next 18 months so top end power isn't a priority.

However, I would enjoy a turbo with a wider (and more powerful) low-end to mid-range. I enjoy nipping at the heels (and sometimes embarrassing) expensive sports cars around town and on the twisties. Not trying to race around streets at 100mph+ ('I'm running late to work' can only be used so many times)

Quisp

1000 Post Club
X37 is a nice compromise. I know of one tuner who prefers it over the 47 series.

HBEcoBeaST

X37 is a nice compromise. I know of one tuner who prefers it over the 47 series.
Thanks. Looking into the x37, gt2554r and Revo options at the moment. Unfortunately, not too many people run the 2554r and the one Dyno I can find has the perfect power band for my needs. Just would like more feedback on the unit. The x37 is definitely my 2nd choice with the Revo in 3rd. Still a ways out from pulling the trigger.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

jeff

2000 Post Club
With the tuning process almost complete on my X47 R I agree with Jeff . The cars a whole nother animal and needs it's space . If I didn't get such a deal on my setup I'd of stuck with E30 tune.
I really appreciate the input on the upgraded turbo's real-world useability.

However, I would enjoy a turbo with a wider (and more powerful) low-end to mid-range. I enjoy nipping at the heels (and sometimes embarrassing) expensive sports cars around town and on the twisties. Not trying to race around streets at 100mph+ ('I'm running late to work' can only be used so many times)
You can have both. The X47R is a bit laggy compared to the regular 47. My 47 spools and has low end like stock but it also has serious top end. Not as much as the R but it's a good balance for my driving style. The thing is with the stock turbo it's running out of breath just when you're getting fast; with an upgrade the power comes on stronger just as you're passing the speed limit and it's hard not to keep it pegged and use that power.

Perhaps the Vargas turbo in question will be the perfect setup.

Butterybunz

Thanks. Looking into the x37, gt2554r and Revo options at the moment. Unfortunately, not too many people run the 2554r and the one Dyno I can find has the perfect power band for my needs. Just would like more feedback on the unit. The x37 is definitely my 2nd choice with the Revo in 3rd. Still a ways out from pulling the trigger.

The GT2554R is terrible. I had one and it was extremely laggy. Way happier with my X37.

You can have both. The X47R is a bit laggy compared to the regular 47. My 47 spools and has low end like stock but it also has serious top end. Not as much as the R but it's a good balance for my driving style.
Thanks for sharing. No experience with any of this, but from reading around, that's what my assessment was. Minus 2 years and counting on my warranty, and then I'll start the "upgrades."

Eager to see how this Vargas and Revo turn out by comparison.

HBEcoBeaST

You can have both. The X47R is a bit laggy compared to the regular 47. My 47 spools and has low end like stock but it also has serious top end. Not as much as the R but it's a good balance for my driving style. The thing is with the stock turbo it's running out of breath just when you're getting fast; with an upgrade the power comes on stronger just as you're passing the speed limit and it's hard not to keep it pegged and use that power.

Perhaps the Vargas turbo in question will be the perfect setup.
I'm looking into the x47 and x47+. Seems like the torque curve is a little higher than stock. I wonder if tuning is flexible to focus on mid-range instead of peak.

I understand what you're saying about the stock turbo. Accellerating from 20-70mph is where I do most of my spirited driving and the oem turbo falls off around 50mph.

The FiST is not a 'slow in, fast out' kind of car. I want a fat powerband and I like the neck snapping (exaggeration) torque down low on the E30 tune and stock turbo.

jeff

2000 Post Club
I'm looking into the x47 and x47+. Seems like the torque curve is a little higher than stock. I wonder if tuning is flexible to focus on mid-range instead of peak.

I understand what you're saying about the stock turbo. Accellerating from 20-70mph is where I do most of my spirited driving and the oem turbo falls off around 50mph.

The FiST is not a 'slow in, fast out' kind of car. I want a fat powerband and I like the neck snapping (exaggeration) torque down low on the E30 tune and stock turbo.

There's a brand new X47+ for sale right now FYI.

I have a ported manifold which might help get my spool a bit lower, I dunno, I installed it all at once.

Your tuner can make the power curve however you want it, the only limit is in what the turbo can do. The hybrids give a lot of flexibility in this regard.

Perhaps the Vargas turbo in question will be the ultimate option for those yet to purchase. We will see, I am looking forward to results!

AzNightmare

isn't the GT2554R a BT? I assume it shouldn't be compared to a hybrid as most hybrids don't have as much turbo lag, or am I wrong?

on my daily commuting, I generally shift between 2-3k rpm. If I'm doing a mini pull cause the lane is clear, maybe 4500~. lol.
There's a semi steep hill that I take home from work every day that I just floor it in 3rd gear, up to 60 mph. It's fun cause I can really feel the torque when I'm going uphill.

btw, which vendor supplies X37 now? Or do you have to buy it from pumaspeed directly?
It seems like I'm leaning toward that if I were to decide to upgrade. It also seems like the least expensive option.

HBEcoBeaST

isn't the GT2554R a BT? I assume it shouldn't be compared to a hybrid as most hybrids don't have as much turbo lag, or am I wrong?
It's not a 'hybrid' if that's what you mean. I'm assuming the only difference in hybrid and BT is the housing size?

And while not 100%sure couldn't you have a small (bigger than OEM) turbo replacement that spooled quickly?

I know the gtx2860 has considerable lag but the 2554r is supposed to be 'fast spool'