Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

VTT X Panda Motorworks Cast Fiesta ST Turbo upgrade

KnockOff

1000 Post Club
Now I'm torn because I like the mrx kits reliability seeing its its a garret but considering I can still use my gfb dv+with this one. I can get this kit and a bp racing tubular manifold for the same price.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

OP
VargasTurboTech
Thread Starter #45
Ok, so the sample is here! We have good news and bad news. First the good news. Turbo looks awesome! We are stoked on how it came out for a production sample! Bad news, they totally screwed the pooch on the cast inlet. They did not make it large enough, and they have to retool to make it correctly. All this means is, we will use a readily available big mouth inlet for testing until the new cast inlet is ready. There is no need to hold up turbo testing waiting for the inlet, a 2" opening is a 2" opening. As long as we are not restricted by the factory inlet elbow, we can get results without worry of restriction.

Ok here is a bunch of photos. As you can see, the turbine wheel is not some 12 blade inefficient wheel that is clipped in hopes of getting more flow through it. It is a 9 blade design keeping the full-back inducer, just much larger. This will keep the aero of the wheel intact, and allow for much more flow, and quick spool. The stock wheel actually fitting in the exducer bore of the new housing...[giggle] Compressor wheel looks great, castings all look great. We are happy with this unit as a sample.

Next move is to get it to the guys over at Panda, along with the aftermarket inlet elbow, and let them get to work trying to break it. Stay tuned.....

DSC00088.jpg
DSC00107.jpg
DSC00105.jpg
DSC00103.jpg
DSC00100.jpg
DSC00099.jpg
DSC00097.jpg
DSC00096.jpg
DSC00095.jpg
DSC00093.jpg
DSC00092.jpg
DSC00091.jpg
DSC00090.jpg
DSC00089.jpg
DSC00108.jpg

Woods247

2000 Post Club
Would you care to elaborate on the specific changes you made to ensure a more reliable hybrid than others? Will this turbo be appropriate (at the 300HP level) for heavy track use?

OP
VargasTurboTech
Thread Starter #47
Would you care to elaborate on the specific changes you made to ensure a more reliable hybrid than others? Will this turbo be appropriate (at the 300HP level) for heavy track use?
Headed home right now. I will update tomorrow, with more details!

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
Next move is to get it to the guys over at Panda, along with the aftermarket inlet elbow, and let them get to work trying to break it. Stay tuned.....
Sounds like a fun job!

"Hey! Take this FiST with lots of power and try to break the turbo."

Beats cleaning toilets...

OP
VargasTurboTech
Thread Starter #50
To get back to this question. We addressed shaft size, journal bearing size, thrust design, thrust assembly design, thrust pad design, thrust pad size Those are the critical areas in a turbocharger that carry all the load and can lead to premature failure if not addressed.

Wait wait wait. 1599 and no core? So just comparing on your website, similar to the deal with the mustang one? (but cheaper) I'm guessing there will be similar options regarding accessories too? Is the 325-350 power figures based on fuel pump (93 I assume)?

So it's basically a stock size hybrid turbo with a bigger wheel?

I might be stating obvious things, but I'm new in turbo cars, even performance car, it's my first one, so I want to make sure I understand before I scrap my plans on going GTX2860R and going with that, because keeping low end power and adding a lot of high end power, that's the dream for this small car.

Woods247

2000 Post Club
Wait wait wait. 1599 and no core? So just comparing on your website, similar to the deal with the mustang one? (but cheaper) I'm guessing there will be similar options regarding accessories too? Is the 325-350 power figures based on fuel pump (93 I assume)?

So it's basically a stock size hybrid turbo with a bigger wheel?

I might be stating obvious things, but I'm new in turbo cars, even performance car, it's my first one, so I want to make sure I understand before I scrap my plans on going GTX2860R and going with that, because keeping low end power and adding a lot of high end power, that's the dream for this small car.
We are on the same page it seems. Hopefully improvements made after testing will insure a bolt-on “Hybrid” that’s as reliable as an ATP turbo. If so, goal achieved!

We are on the same page it seems. Hopefully improvements made after testing will insure a bolt-on “Hybrid” that’s as reliable as an ATP turbo. If so, goal achieved!
I was not sold at all on hybrids when I read a few that had reliability issues and were barely touching 300HP, but this is a game changer and sounds like a turbo perfectly made for the FiST, which I guess it is made specifically for the FiST!

OP
VargasTurboTech
Thread Starter #54
We used our experience in small frame turbochargers to address the usual suspects that cause premature failure in a lot of these stock turbos, and hybrids that also use stock type wheels. We will see how it does in testing. Once we have beat on it for a while, we will give the go-ahead for production.

The air has been cleared many times in various places. The first post was also very clear. This will not a place for discussion about anything else other than the Fiesta ST turbo. If you do not have all the facts on the matter you are discussing, as it is clear you do not. As stated feel free to drop us an email. We will gladly give them to you. This will be the last time it is addressed in this thread.
Fair enough, I'll send that email

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

HBEcoBeaST

In for the dynos! Interested to see how it does with the stock DP and plumbing vs mods.

Stoked for another turbo option

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

AzNightmare

Garrets have proven reliability. That's your best bet imo if your looking for anything close to a 0% failure rate.
What about the X37, X47, etc.
I think Hybrid would be more suitable for my driving style as I need something that can spool quickly like oem turbo.
What do you recommend?

I do 99% driving in the city

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I think Hybrid would be more suitable for my driving style as I need something that can spool quickly like oem turbo.
What do you recommend?

GT2554R....very underrated Turbo

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

What do you recommend?

If it were me I’d choose revo for reliability over x37/47.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AzNightmare

Are any of those Garrett turbos quick spool though?

I need something that can pull hard from 2500-5000rpm~
from 10-60~ mph for city driving when the traffic lanes open up.

Not really into roll races though. Just need that power when I see a car change lane and it's open, then time to step on it and pass like 8 cars.