Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Greasy transmission

Hey guys, I just had my transmission replaced, and the old one was covered in a greasy/oil film on top. Is there some kind of breather/vent on the top of the trans that could have expelled fluid to cause that? Saw a post on ST/RS Global about someone who has a Focus SE and that auto trans has a breather port, which his hose was missing and there was some oil film on top. Would explain the grease on top... just curious.
BTW, I'm told my old one failed due to a faulty input shaft bearing.

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
Not aware of any. Maybe somebody knows more than me.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
What were the symptoms of the problem?

The transmission won't be completely empty prior to removal. Some will spill out during removal and transport. There's also the possibility that it could be something other than transmission fluid.

OP
B
Thread Starter #5
What were the symptoms of the problem?

The transmission won't be completely empty prior to removal. Some will spill out during removal and transport. There's also the possibility that it could be something other than transmission fluid.
I noticed the grease/dirt film on the old trans for a good while before any symptoms of a failing trans ever appeared. At the time I thought maybe it was a valve cover leak that somehow trickled down to that area. Eventually my transmission began to make a slight noise under load (goes away with clutch depressed) and became louder over the course of about 2 months until it was a very loud and grinding noise. From all that I've read and heard it was input shaft bearing failure and is a known issue on some of these transmissions.