Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

You guys should all start including your avg miles. It can indicate whether you're on highway speeds a lot or stop and go traffic, etc.

lol, I avg 13.75 miles after a tank of driving.
Do you mean avg miles per hour? I think you do. That makes sense.

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
I get a bump of about 5% increase in MPG using 93 octane non-ethanol

AVG speed 44
AVG MPG 31.7 indicated mixed city/hwy 9.97 gal.....312 miles......31.29 computed MPG on 93 octane 10% ethanol.

HWY MPG 36.7 @ 75 MPH indicated using 93 octane non- ethanol @ $ 2.47 gallon here in E. TN. Drops to 35.2 indicated using 93 octane 10% ethanol

Yeah if you can buy 93 no Ethanol, you are doing great
The best I can get out here (Nevada) is 91 Octane with 10% ethanol.
Ethanol acts as a octane booster, but the energy content (BTU) is only 2/3 of that of gasoline.
A friend of mine has a Flex Fuel Focus, and gets 30MPG with gasoline, but only get 20MPG with Ethanol.

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
We are indeed lucky....several sources for non 93.......93 ethanol at all stations! Plus the best ST roads in the country!

neeqness

1000 Post Club
Seems low to me for that much highway driving I took a 175 mile trip to charlotte few months back which was all highway except 1 hour before and 1 hour after the game of stop and go driving. I averaged just under 37 mpg for the trip and I've got up to 40+ on some all highway runs before well over 100 miles each time. I'm running a livernois motorsports tune and I have a base car with nav which is the lightest and I've taken off close to 100 lbs total from that so low weight can help I use full synthetic oil and only use top teir 93 gasoline and I had just inflated my tires to 40 front 37 rear justness before the charlotte trip all these things can effect mileage. If tire pressure is off along with other things. My mpg went up after the tune and also went up a little after the car got good and broken in after 2-3k miles which subsequently was around the same time (been tuned since 2800 miles) I noticed I was getting a couple mpg better after this.
Interesting...I'm going to have to look into getting one of these tunes. How much do they cost? Did you tune to a particular octane or type of fuel?

neeqness

1000 Post Club
I guess I have to go easier on the gas pedal.....LOL.....I cant!!! Im just having way too much fun.. :)
This is me right here, lol. I don't know how you guys do it, but I can't, lol. I don't have any tunes though so maybe that will help.

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
This is me right here, lol. I don't know how you guys do it, but I can't, lol. I don't have any tunes though so maybe that will help.
I shift 1-2-4-6 in town and keep it below 4k when I can.......about 32 MPG combined and use non-ethanol 93 octane! Goes down quickly when you start putting your foot into it.

I have the Mountune MP215 installed. Just keep your foot out of it.....save it for a good road!

neeqness

1000 Post Club
I shift 1-2-4-6 in town and keep it below 4k when I can.......about 32 MPG combined and use non-ethanol 93 octane! Goes down quickly when you start putting your foot into it.

I have the Mountune MP215 installed. Just keep your foot out of it.....save it for a good road!
The unfortunate part is we don't have 93 here. Just 91 really. A very few gas stations (I only have been to one) that sell ~100 octane but it's ridiculously expensive and probably works best mixing it with 91 to get 93 - 95 octane. I tried it mixed at around 94 - 95 but I think with a stock untuned motor, 93 or 94 is about the limit to seeing any real benefit. It seems like above that and there is really not much of a difference unless you tune. The gas station was also like 40 miles away so it was not practical for me to fill up regular there.

When I traveled to Florida though it was really nice using 93 on the regular...one thing that I look forward to when headed east.

I shift 1-2-4-6 ...
I've driven all of my manual trans cars much like that, or 1-3-5-6 on a high-revving four. The rev hang in this car is a huge obstacle for being able to shift like that. Perhaps with your parts/tune that problem's gone. But for those of us on OEM tune, that tried and true technique is almost unachievable - at least with any semblance of comfort.

We are indeed lucky....several sources for non 93.......93 ethanol at all stations! Plus the best ST roads in the country!
I've found that the best place to found pure gas is near lakes and rivers. Places that have customers with boats. There some apps that show where to find pure gas.

neeqness

1000 Post Club
I've found that the best place to found pure gas is near lakes and rivers. Places that have customers with boats. There some apps that show where to find pure gas.
Really? All the places I saw were aimed towards racing and racing fuels. Unfortunately, most of the places on the lists that I researched locally either closed down or simply stopped selling these types of fuels.

In any case I don't think I will go this route as it is too much of an inconvenience for me at the moment for a near daily driver. I may not use it to commute everyday but I still use it for other things almost daily because you can only carry so much in a backpack and my bike doesn't have any cases for storage.

neeqness

1000 Post Club
Take a look at pure-gas.org

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Actually, just realized that that is the same site I checked before. But I'll look at it again to see if there have been any updates. Thanks.

Reset my AVG MPG on the car, and did some running around. Mostly highway, but did have to stop and idle twice after a ride into the city. When I got to my last leg it was eastward, and I must have had a tail wind. Ended up at 40.5 MPG! I was keeping it nice and slow ~65 mph. Very good considering. I calculated the last tank and it was 38.3. So high 30's are easy. I know I could do some hypermiling and easily get up into the 40's.

I'm at about 27mpg over the 5100 miles I've owned the car. Best tank was 31.4, worst was around 24 (no shock here, that was very early in ownership when I was having a lot more fun with boost).

The attached picture is for 4879 miles worth of driving and isn't including the current tank, which is another 250 miles or so and the trip computer is saying 29.5, so it's probably an actual mpg of 28ish on this tank.

The app is aCar Pro, very neat little app that allows you to track fillips, maintenance, trip costs, etc. I like it better than I did Fuelly, but like the community behind Fuelly more.

At 15k miles now and 11 months of ownership. MPG pretty much stayed the same. Did a trip from Wichita to San Antonio, averaged 32.5 on that trip. Recently moved to Colorado, and shockingly on a 175-mile trip to Denver two days ago cruising between 75 and 85 and some in-town driving I averaged 39.5mpg! Was my fuel in Kansas really that horrible? I would think the higher elevation (~5000ft higher than where I lived) would reduce my mileage?

Intuit

3000 Post Club
I've driven all of my manual trans cars much like that, or 1-3-5-6 on a high-revving four. The rev hang in this car is a huge obstacle for being able to shift like that. Perhaps with your parts/tune that problem's gone. But for those of us on OEM tune, that tried and true technique is almost unachievable - at least with any semblance of comfort.
I had did a brief shoot to clutch-in, let the RPMs drop, then the computer cut-in and revved the engine for 2 to 3 seconds max.

In the manual it specifically warns against revving the engine and shutting it off because this has the potential to starve the turbo causing premature wear on the bearings.

Under those circumstances, the ECU may have "hanged" my revs for the same reason.

Personally haven't experienced any problems because of it but it's not often that I skip-shift; and innately time my clutch releases.