Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

My trips are about 25 mins, 6.25 mi. Mon-Fri. lol
Weekends vary since it all depends what I do and where I go.

But I idle until my AP shows my oil temps are at 68?F. (No reason for that specific number, it's just what I do)
Sometimes this can take as long as 5 mins in the cold. Or if I'm scraping frost off, I can end up idling until my car's like 86?F by the time I'm done.
Maybe all the idling is wasting a lot of fuel... although it seems excessive still.
Well thats easy to check.
First thing in the morning, reset the trip computers MPG reading when you get to work.
Do you normal warm up routine, and drive to work, make a note of the MPG readout.

The next day, do your normal warm up, but reset the MPG computer after warm up
Drive to work, and make a note of the MPG readout.

The difference should tell you how much MPG you are loosing due to the warm up.

Then next day, reset the trip computes MPG,
and skip the warm-up and drive to work. See what the MPG is then.

So far at 2500 miles of mostly commuting on city surface streets I am sitting at 23.4 MPG.

I am getting to be more relaxed on the throttle, but that really only seems to account for a 1mpg swing, the real killer is traffic lights and stop and go. I rarely break 19 MPH average speed on a tank.

Just had my first fill up. 29.54 and that's with temps in the 20s.

I drive 40 miles each way to work with 60% highway and 40% back roads.

Attachments

TRU

my mpg meter always says 280 after i fill up, and its pretty accurate. i just bought my car afew weeks ago and was wondering what i should do to get it fixed?

my mpg meter always says 280 after i fill up, and its pretty accurate. i just bought my car afew weeks ago and was wondering what i should do to get it fixed?
I assume you mean 28.0 (not 280) which could be correct.
The average MPG reading continues to average until you reset it.
I normally reset it after each fillup.
You reset it by holding in the button, until it changes to -----

TRU

I assume you mean 28.0 (not 280) which could be correct.
The average MPG reading continues to average until you reset it.
I normally reset it after each fillup.
You reset it by holding in the button, until it changes to -----
ima take a picture of it but its the miles to E screen. everytime i fill it up it says 280. the reset was for another screen

ima take a picture of it but its the miles to E screen. everytime i fill it up it says 280. the reset was for another screen
Yes it's going to say that every time on the Miles to Empty, that has nothing to do with MPG

You need to switch to the Average MPG screen.

I drive to work 35 miles each way, so 70 miles a day..5 days a week. Going to say 80% highway 20% regular streets. On the highway I'm doing between 75 to 85 mph. I have a k&n filter and Borla ford performance catback. I'm getting between 26.5 to 29.2 mpg weekly.....It depends how heavy I go on the pedal...car was purchased December 9th.

LILIKE16ST

I drive to work 35 miles each way, so 70 miles a day..5 days a week. Going to say 80% highway 20% regular streets. On the highway I'm doing between 75 to 85 mph. I have a k&n filter and Borla ford performance catback. I'm getting between 26.5 to 29.2 mpg weekly.....It depends how heavy I go on the pedal...car was purchased December 9th.
Seems low to me for that much highway driving I took a 175 mile trip to charlotte few months back which was all highway except 1 hour before and 1 hour after the game of stop and go driving. I averaged just under 37 mpg for the trip and I've got up to 40+ on some all highway runs before well over 100 miles each time. I'm running a livernois motorsports tune and I have a base car with nav which is the lightest and I've taken off close to 100 lbs total from that so low weight can help I use full synthetic oil and only use top teir 93 gasoline and I had just inflated my tires to 40 front 37 rear justness before the charlotte trip all these things can effect mileage. If tire pressure is off along with other things. My mpg went up after the tune and also went up a little after the car got good and broken in after 2-3k miles which subsequently was around the same time (been tuned since 2800 miles) I noticed I was getting a couple mpg better after this.

LILIKE16ST

I also want to add I noticed 1-2 mpg drop during the winter with the crap winter blend fuel that could be some of it the mpg figures I was referring to was when the summer blends were still in use. I used to aversge 29-31 give or take with probably a 50/50 split of highway and other roads driving now it's more like 27-29 with the same type of driving going to the same type places

+30.6 showing on the dash. I calculated last 3 tanks. 31.4 30.4 and 31.7 The average being 31.1. Mostly highway driving. I live in the sticks, and commute to a metropolitan area every day. Not bad for winter. should see mid 30's without even trying. Still not up there with most small cars but its worth it!

LILIKE16ST

+30.6 showing on the dash. I calculated last 3 tanks. 31.4 30.4 and 31.7 The average being 31.1. Mostly highway driving. I live in the sticks, and commute to a metropolitan area every day. Not bad for winter. should see mid 30's without even trying. Still not up there with most small cars but its worth it!

Now this is closer to the kind of averages I would likely see if I drove mostly on the highway with some city driving and other types mixed in there as well. Now in the summer it may be even better because all my cars as well as everyone I have talked to about it all say their mpg falls during winter when the poor winter blend fuels are used and during the summer it's better. Mine fell around 1-2 mpg at least. It is enough to notice.

My last full tank I averaged 30.7 but I went on a 170 mile round trip to take my girlfriend to an appointment and the speed limits are mostly between 45-60 mph over there and the car seems to get decent mileage at those speeds despite the fact not all or even most of that tank was highway I thought that was pretty good considering it's winter blend fuel. The tank before that was under 27. It seems to stay between 27-29 depending on where I drive etc....and at least a couple mpg higher during the summer and I've gotten as high as just below 37 on an entire tank that was probably 95% highway but I did have to sit in traffic basically at a standstill for around a couple hours or so total and besides that it was all highway. I think if it wasn't for that very slow moving 2 hour stretch it could have gotten up closer to 40 mpg.

I've never went far enough on the highway to use an entire tank 100% highway. I got around 360 miles or so on that tank I think so I'm pretty sure I could hit over 400 miles on a straight all highway run. This cars power and handling and performance per dollar and per the mpg it's capable of is truly amazing. This car is making nearly the power and torque the old fox 5.0s had from the factory in a much lighter car (even more light than the fox). But it gets far better mpg around town and on the highway.

Back in the day it wasn't anything special for a 4 banger turbo to keep up with or outrun the v8s of the time but the ones that did it were getting similar mpg to those v8s if not worse. That's one of the more impressive things about this car imo outside of its handling and fun to drive nature. People say well averaging 30 and getting near 40 on the highway isn't like the greatest some cars do far better (hybrids and such and other small engines with small power) but considering the performance the car has and the fact it has tons of mid range power and torque and what it's capable of I think that mpg is phenomenal. Just my .02

P.S. I did manage over 40 mpg last summer on a straight highway run however it was only around 125 mile trip I wasn't anywhere near the half tank mark yet but I filled back up just to get an idea of what it was capable of on an all highway run. I was pleasantly surprised when I seen it was over 40 mpg. If I remember correctly I used 3.1 gallons over 126 miles of interstate driving I kept it around 70 most of the time there was one small stretch where speed limit dropped to 60 and I dropped my speed to that as well. It came out to 40.6 actually.

I am not stock I have a livernois motorsports 93 octane tune (I noticed a couple mpg increase after I uploaded this tune when i stay out of it anyways.. lol) and I am also running full synthetic oil the royal purple xpr race oil I have the lightest optioned st in which I've taken around another 100 lbs off of that so I'm probably in the low 2600 lbs range without the driver. I also have a muffler and resonator delete so it has a straight piped stock catback as well as a k&n drop in. Idk if any of these things effect mpg significantly or what I don't have any perfect scientific data to show that but I am a believer that every little bit helps and it can all add up to make a difference. I also tried to break the car in the best I could...(didn't go as far as the engine breaking in 101 thread on here) Because fortunately I didn't see that until I was already past that initial 1000 mile mark. But I did change the oil to the stock stuff at 1300 and 3300 miles and around 8000 I went ahead and made the switch to the rp and never looked back. Has anyone else seen results like this? I'm not sure if all that together made any difference at all or these mpg figures are pretty common on the FiST. I've noticed a few like the post above reporting some decent mpg but I've also seen a few claiming not much above mid 20s on mpg averages and consider the stock 33 mpg highway rating to be very generous. I was thinking it was kind of conservative base on what I've seen thus far. I've had the car for 1 year in about 2 months and I'm just under 22k miles and knock on wood haven't had any issues at all thus far. This car is near the top if not at the top of my cars owned list I absolutely love it.....

I believe 40mpg highway is possible if you're easy on the throttle during summer. In summer, I can regularly get 38mpg cruising on the interstate in the mountains at 65 mph. The mpgs start to drop pretty quickly once I add in just a little city driving though. That's a stock ST with 93 octane, and I have 16" wheels that end up with a slightly (2%) larger overall diameter. I have only hit 40 mpg once, and I wonder if that was due to the gas pump shutting off a bit early.

Went from computer-indicated 29.3 mpg average at 'stage 2' to 25 5 mpg average at 'stage 3', same fuel and all. 80% city/traffic. It should improve over time, but I think the old adage is true: Eco, or boost, take your pick.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

With a Mountune MP215 and their cat back exhaust, I average 27mpg with 70% freeway 30% stop-go. I also don't shy away from WOT.

AzNightmare

You guys should all start including your avg miles. It can indicate whether you're on highway speeds a lot or stop and go traffic, etc.

lol, I avg 13.75 miles after a tank of driving.