Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

I only dropped 6 lbs per corner on my wheel setup and I noticed more than 1 mpg gain with the switch with your setup I can imagine that being even more. What tires are you running that weigh 18 lbs? I assume you're running 6ul wheels at 11.4 lbs each am I correct in that assumption?
The wheels are rota slips in 15x7.5. Opps looking at it now it says 12.3lbs per wheel.
Tires are Kumho ecsta ps31 205/50/15 not the grippest but more then the stock tires for sure.18.3lbs
lightweight lugnuts

me crusing at the speed limit of 55mph from wappingers falls upstate back to the Bronx. Some up hills some down hills mostly flat land.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_IrPkuSHIzY

LILIKE16ST

The first month or so I was in the 25-26 range on e30...I have seen thrown my summer wheels back on which are 6 lbs per corner lighter than stock and changed my oil and stuff and it's slowly crept up to where it is now since then (27.2) and I have not changed my driving style if anything I'm getting into it even more now that I have my cpe intake on it because the sound is awesome lol....lighter wheels really do help mpg so does a lighter overall car and being lowered (highway) although it isn't much it all adds up. I've done some weight reduction on mine it's a base car which starts around 2720 I have it down close to 2600 lbs without my big ass in it and I ham also lowered on swifts (installed at the same time my pro race wheels went back on)....i know these things don't make big differences but a few points of an mpg here and there can add up being 2-3+ mpg gained. Don't assume because I average 27.2 on e30 I don't have fun or get into boost that certainly isn't the case. On highway I usually go 70-75 (70 limit) occasionally 80 if I'm late for work. Even at 90 mph it's hard for me to see 24 highway in this car on 93...I just don't get it

HBEcoBeaST

I definitely don't want to come across as bashing those who get or care about mpg. Just trying to make those of us with lower (low 20s on E30) not feel as bad.

I really think intakes help with mpg and definitely the lighter rims and tires. I'm definitely not the smoothest driver either so that doesn't help. Stop and go SoCal traffic and short trips kill my mpg as well.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

dmb

KP39 you were in the #2 lane doing 55? wow. Nice view on the highway but it looked like everyone is doing 70+ i wish people drove like that here in so. cal. here they would be cutting you off giving the finger and worse. that's a nice drive, people here are azzholes 24 hr a day. lucky you

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Keep in mind that it's not just trip length, fueling choice and driving habits that impact mileage, but also temperatures. Frigid temperatures wreak havoc on mileage.

LILIKE16ST

I don't do lots of stop and go so that probably helps me alot. I live in a small area with lots of open roads and stuff and not trying to brag I feel my driving style really lends itself well to better mpg. I never bog the engine ever it's far worse for mpg than being in too low of a gear. I Rev match and downshift often and I and most always keep my rpms over 2k while driving. I rev match downshift anytime I see an incline coming up and/or I feel my rpms are gonna get below 2k...that ensures you never bog which is bad for mpg and bad for the car overall because it can cause LSPI (low speed preignition) as far as mpg it uses less gas being in a lower gear giving it less throttle for the same desired output versus being in a higher gear giving it more throttle it is a major misconception people have when they think being in the highest gear possible is best for mpg or changing gears at a low rpm....you're better off changing higher 2.5-3k long as you're easy on the throttle. That's my .02. Driving style can definitely have a big impact on mpg. That is how I drive when I'm not on it and I think it helps me enough with mpg as do my mods to where getting on it hard here and there really don't even hurt it much mpg wise. My mpg has crept up to 27.7 now up from 27.2 keep in mind my Ave mpg hasn't been reset in almost 3 months since I started running e30...I've put about 3-4k or so on it since then. It brought my Ave up .5 mph so far in under a week just from the intake install

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Any and every time anyone we're taking off from a complete stop on anything other than a steeper decline, we're creating high load on the engine at low RPM. They're designed to handle it.

In general, gasoline spark ignition engines are more efficient when cylinder pressures are at increased levels. There are efficiency losses with each rotation of the engine and potentially with each explosion in the cylinder. Running a cylinder at low output is a larger waste via "dead weight" or "dead load". Running more rotations amounts to greater waste via frictional drag. If you can generate the output over fewer rotations while generating more powerful explosions, it can amount to greater efficiency. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engine_efficiency <<............Under part throttle conditions (i.e. when the throttle is less than fully open), the effective compression ratio is less than when the engine is operating at full throttle, due to the simple fact that the incoming fuel-air mixture is being restricted and cannot fill the chamber to full atmospheric pressure. The engine efficiency is less than when the engine is operating at full throttle. One solution to this fact is to shift the load in a multi-cylinder engine from some of the cylinders (by deactivating them) to the remaining cylinders so that they may operate under higher individual loads and with correspondingly higher effective compression ratios. This technique is known as variable displacement.............>>

The aboved mentioned reasoning, is the reason we keep going to smaller and smaller engines. There's less "dead load" when we're at part-throttle and therefore less efficiency losses. This is also the thought processes behind "hypermiling". (see #5 here - https://www.wikihow.com/Hypermile)

The obvious downside to a smaller engine is lower available total power output and less durability since you're attempting to run it near it's limits more often. The engine's ability to evacuate heat via the radiator at lower RPMs is reduced. So running at "higher" cylinder pressures at "lower" RPMs for prolonged periods has the potential to saturate and overwhelm the cooling system, creating conditions that better facilitate pre-ignition and knock.

ECUs have very sophisticated algorithms, crunching data provided by an increasing wealth of improving sensors. Most such systems still lack terrain data, most such systems prioritize emissions. They have been known to inject additional fuel just to keep emissions within parameters; particularly when the catalytic converter is cold.

neeqness

1000 Post Club
Well I get over 30 mpg on road trips and I usually cruise around 80. Sometimes more or less depending on the speed limit but rarely less than 75. 80 is usually my average.

But my car is tuned to stock and I only use the highest octane available (91 - 93). With lower octanes I typically would get less mileage but I haven't driven much on lower octane fuels since I don't like how the engine runs on them.

I do get under 30 mpg when I drive more on the streets though...

I am also Stratified E30 and also get 23mpg. Fuck it. Lol

I'm confident the 30mpg'ers are driving it like a grandma. Even on pure highway cruising I don't get 30mpg. Those folks must be cruising at 65 to get 30+

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Keep in mind that it's not just trip length, fueling choice and driving habits that impact mileage, but also temperatures. Frigid temperatures wreak havoc on mileage.
Don't forget atmospheric pressure. Those at sea level (Florida) are going to get significantly better fuel economy vs those in the mountains (Colorado).

LILIKE16ST

I'm in southwestern va...some places are 1700-2000 ft elevation not sure exactly....not Colorado but certainly not Florida either lol

LILIKE16ST

You're actually closer to Tampa Bay (~0 ft) than you are Denver (~5400 ft per Wiki).
True maybe that has some explanation as to why I have now krept up to 27.8 on e30 overall since feb. Went from 27.2 to 27.8 since my cpe intake install just over a week ago.

borborpa

Premium Account
Central PA here. I average around 31 MPG on 93 octane. No tune yet, but on the way. My commute is 14 miles, half "highway" and half surface streets with traffic lights.

HaveBlue83

∆∆∆∆∆see ya this weekend at ford nationals sir!

83k, no catch can, reinstalled my lower front air dam that was ripped off last year, did new front o2 sensor and im back to 30ish city and 40hwy when im being good, 25ish at lowest i see :)
t
love this car!!

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
30.3, according to my mileage thing. MP215, no other engine mods. Mixed driving, not always "spirited," but not slow, either.

Gearbox88m

Active Duty U.S. Army
Now that I am running an e30 tune I am seeing about 26 mpg where before on 93 I was seeing 29.5/30. Can't complain, as the trade off is well worth it.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

ROCKYFiestta

30.8 mpg with only the boomba adapter and using 91 now e-15 dropped me down to 28.7 so back up it went now that im using 91 @ 6kfeet elev.

Jerickson88

I usually average 29-30mpg combined. I’ve had a few romp it weeks, and get around 26. Highway rides @ 65mph gets me 31-32mpg.