Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Burnt headlight and connectors/wire

Hi All,

New here to the fiesta forum and the world of Ford's in general.

I recent replaced a drivers side low beam headlight on my 14' fist and noticed the bulb I removed was burnt in the electrical socket. The connector on the harness was in rough shape too, it looked like it had dried battery acid all over it. I cleaned up the connection and installed a new bulb. Worked like a charm.

Now 3 days later the bulb has burnt out again.

I am wondering if this is a common/known issue and if so, if there are any known fixes i should be trying.

If hate to keep throwing bulbs at It, and I always worry when I see wires burning up.

I'm assuming I can replace connector, and am hopping this is a fluke thing.

Thanks!

haste

1000 Post Club
Got a pic we can see of the wiring/connector?

OP
B
Thread Starter #3
I do not unfortunately. We're in the middle of a 3 day storm here so I likely won't be able to get out and snap a pic either. I'll see what I can do though, if the weather gives I'll try to get a pic.

If you've ever taken an old battery out of a remote control and noticed the crumbly dried up green/white junk from the battery, it looked like that.

The plastic on both the connector and the plastic on the headlight housing where the light twists into was also brittle. Seems like the old bulb may have been pretty hot!

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Is moisture intruding into the housing at all, either through the bulb receptacle/housing and dust cover, or through the lens housing seals/seams??

OP
B
Thread Starter #5
Not that I can tell. Everything in the housing is bone dry. Seems to be sealed up pretty well.

I read something about 2008+ fiestas having a voltage spike issue through the headlights and a TSB was issued to install a resitor wire to tame said spikes. I dunno if this applies to 2014+ models though. Again, new to the Ford game (But loving my fist so far!!).

are you replacing with an OEM equivalent bulb or are you going to silverlights of any high output bulb?
the higher output bulbs do draw more and get hotter, have seen multiple connectors burn up on customers cars at work because of the bulb type.

OP
B
Thread Starter #7
I replaced the OEM bulb with Sylvania Silverstars. Supposedly a whiter and brighter light. Could be the problem.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
are you replacing with an OEM equivalent bulb or are you going to silverlights of any high output bulb?
the higher output bulbs do draw more and get hotter, have seen multiple connectors burn up on customers cars at work because of the bulb type.
So PIAA is only marketing BSing us with their 55W draw = 110W output claims for factory replacement bulbs??