Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Ford service guide to mod failires

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Lol half the stuff in there is complete BS like " an aftermarket downpipe flows more so it could cause overspeeding the turbo leading to possible damage" Who the fuck wrote that crap some lawyer that talked to a mechanic and then made assumptions to play it safe for ford. They said the same thing about an aftermarket exhaust the crap is laugable.

This is a great link--thanks for posting it. In addition to being very informative, it confirms that there is in fact a counter in the ecu that shows how many times a car is started since the last tune was installed. This means that uninstalling an AP will likely not protect your warranty on any failure that Ford attributes to potentially being caused by an aftermarket tune. I guess if the car ever goes to the dealer, I should peel off my Stratified gel badge and stickers. [ohcrap]

DaveG99

It helps to know a service tech at the ford dealer if you have to bring your car in. I know a few people that have seriously broken stuff on modified cars and got their engines covered under warranty.

Is there a general guide to follow for unmarrying the AP and making the car appear untampered, if catastrophic engine failure did occur?

For instance, unmarry. Then start/restart car like 150x. Try to get at least 80 miles on the car so codes are present. Etc.

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
Oh no! They're on to us!

Is there a general guide to follow for unmarrying the AP and making the car appear untampered, if catastrophic engine failure did occur?

For instance, unmarry. Then start/restart car like 150x. Try to get at least 80 miles on the car so codes are present. Etc.
Not really. If they want to poke around and make an issue of it, they will figure it out. And how will you do all that with catastrophic engine failure anyway? Best bet if something bad happens is just to unmarry, go back to stock if you can, and hope for the best.

me32

1000 Post Club
It's very good info. And having a great relationship with your service advisor helps big time.

The ECU counts key cycles, so if you bring in a car to the dealer with 30,000 miles and 4 key cycles. They're going to know it was tuned. Make friends with a Ford tech at a lenient dealer and you should be good to go.

The ECU counts key cycles, so if you bring in a car to the dealer with 30,000 miles and 4 key cycles. They're going to know it was tuned. Make friends with a Ford tech at a lenient dealer and you should be good to go.
Does the ECU keeps count even when unplugging the battery? If not, you could argue that you unplugged it to work on the car or something.

green_henry

1000 Post Club
For me at least, all the more reason to stick with mountune parts. . Other members here will differ. It's just my opinion.
+1 You pay a little more for Mountune but they definitely make a quality product. Unfortunately, when I mentioned Mountune to both the service manager and the parts manager at the dealership where I bought my FiST, they had NO idea what I was talking about -- just blank looks ... "Wha?" Disappointing to say the least.

me32

1000 Post Club
+1 You pay a little more for Mountune but they definitely make a quality product. Unfortunately, when I mentioned Mountune to both the service manager and the parts manager at the dealership where I bought my FiST, they had NO idea what I was talking about -- just blank looks ... "Wha?" Disappointing to say the least.

They clearly don't know much about Ford's aftermarket.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
For me at least, all the more reason to stick with mountune parts. . Other members here will differ. It's just my opinion.
I absolutely see that point, even counting the cost, and the inability to store other tunes in their AP. ;)

But, how can they claim in this document that ONLY the Mountune (and possibly the Ford Performance/Borla) aftermarket cat back exhaust does NOT "over spin" the turbo and cause damage, but ALL OTHER same size systems DO?!? [???:)]

That's effing ridiculous, and would not stand up to scrutiny in court.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
I absolutely see that point, even counting the cost, and the inability to store other tunes in their AP. ;)

But, how can they claim in this document that ONLY the Mountune (and possibly the Ford Performance/Borla) aftermarket cat back exhaust does NOT "over spin" the turbo and cause damage, but ALL OTHER same size systems DO?!? [???:)]

That's effing ridiculous, and would not stand up to scrutiny in court.
Like I stated in my previous post whoever wrote that does not really know much. They lack serious education when it comes to Turbo's and what does and doesn't cause issues. The way they wrote that thing one would think the engines were weak pieces of junk incapable of handling boost period.
The whole turbo overspin comments are just hilarious though.

One thing I hadn’t thought about much before getting a car under warranty is how the Ford service department gets a set price to do warranty work, where they get to set the prices for non warranty work. IMO this sets the stage for certain dealerships being very opposed to modifications.
When I bought my car the dealers listed all the cool Performance parts I could have them add. My dealership tends not to mind them, maybe because we’re in Albuquerque and every car is modded somehow.

I think this pdf may discourage me from ever installing a cowl intake, however. I had considered intakes to be a safe mod but not if it’s in a wet location.

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
A service manager does not really sit around and read Ford Performance parts listings. After all the warranted items are only available for 4 cars and 3 out of four are not big sellers and actually the Ecoboost Mustang is not a big seller. Unless your dealer is into performance work even the parts guy will not know jack about Mountune. Hell I bet half the ST owners don't know about Mountune. Many on this Forum don't. How many times do we have members on this Forum argue that Mountune voids your warranty and replaces it with a "Ford Performance" warranty or just refuses to believe their "dealer" will "honor" the warranty? I read the other day GM has announced performance upgrades they will warrant like the Ford Mountune stuff.

Here's the link to the Ford/Mountune Performance Parts Limited Warranty: https://performanceparts.ford.com/warranty/include/pdf/Select_Parts_Warranty_Statement_2017v2.pdf

It bears a close reading. Problems not caused by the use of Mountune performance parts remain eligible for the new vehicle warranty. Conversely, problems caused by the use of Mountune performance parts (see the Ford policy linked in the 1st post for its likely analysis) are covered by the separate "mountune performance parts limited warranty" which lasts for 36/36 starting when the vehicle was first purchased from a Ford dealer, not from the date of install.

I have found it helpful to understand the actual, vs. imaginary or hoped for, rules governing modifications, including Mountune.

I’m guessing it would be a nightmare to go through the mountune warranty program. It took my dealer a whole week to replace the blend door.