Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

The parking lot

At the college I go to everyone with nicer "sports" cars parks why out at the end. Nothing too fancy. Mostly modded frs/brz's, an old 240, wrx, camaros, mustangs, and the occasional corvette. My car is new and I don't want anyone to ding it so I park out there too, but I wonder, does the FiST fit in with those other "sports cars"? I personally think it does. We can hang with brz's all day, but sometimes when I'm parking it feels a little "me too" since I'm a fwd hot hatch. I think the st is respected in the car community but maybe I'm wrong? I love it. Auto journalists love it. You guys love it! It's not a sports car though. It's more of a "performance vehicle" or "enthusiast vehicle". What do you guys think?

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
At the college I go to everyone with nicer "sports" cars parks why out at the end. Nothing too fancy. Mostly modded frs/brz's, an old 240, wrx, camaros, mustangs, and the occasional corvette. My car is new and I don't want anyone to ding it so I park out there too, but I wonder, does the FiST fit in with those other "sports cars"? I personally think it does. We can hang with brz's all day, but sometimes when I'm parking it feels a little "me too" since I'm a fwd hot hatch. I think the st is respected in the car community but maybe I'm wrong? I love it. Auto journalists love it. You guys love it! It's not a sports car though. It's more of a "performance vehicle" or "enthusiast vehicle". What do you guys think?
Honestly I love the fiesta st's and focus st's. I think they have a lot more Soul than a base model Mustang or Camaro. I never went to a 4 year school, but the town I work in has a private university and all the kids have BMWs, Mercedes, even some Porsche 911 yeah $$$$$$.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

I park my 2010 Honda CRV out away from everybody else too. Right now my FIST in a parking lot near a BMW and a Porsche. I don’t worry about what it hangs with. I don’t want door dings.

LaserWhisperer

The cars are in totally different leagues, but the FiST is plenty capable against those cars around a track!
You may get left behind on the straights, but you'll catch 'em in the twisties.
If they don't like you hanging with them, TFB for them.

Hard park everywhere you go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I don’t worry about what it hangs with. I don’t want door dings.
^^^THIS!

I could not give a half a shit about this car's 'stature' in the automotive 'hierarchy', nor it's status with the richy-riches, I have to take care of it since it may be the last car I will be able to own.

At my local super market, with a few exceptions of the occasional prancing horse, GTR, or GT 3 Stuttgartmobile, all of the uppity 5%ers to 1%ers park their; Cayenne GTSes, X5s, Mercs, A and S7s, etc., etc. way up front so they don't have to walk too far.
They also know they will be getting a brand spanking new one in less than 2 years time, so door dings mean NOTHING at all to them (half of them don't even wash these high-zootmobiles at all).

The cars are in totally different leagues, but the FiST is plenty capable against those cars around a track!
You may get left behind on the straights, but you'll catch 'em in the twisties.
If they don't like you hanging with them, TFB for them.
This!!! I get so much pleasure in getting point by from "sports car." My little unassuming econobox turns heads when I pass the big bad Porsche at the track.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
I am not a vehicle snob. The best kinds of vehicles are the ones that are paid for. The best kinds of vehicles are the ones *you* love to have. Whatever floats your boat is fine by me. I don't care. Just don't complain about an administration that prevented what's left of our auto-industry from being sold out to the Chinese; and despite stark opposition from those currently in power who are actively weakening us before the hammer & sickle.

I parked my dented-up** twenty year old 300k+ Ford econobox beater in the back of the lot too. I was never ashamed to drive it anywhere. Mechanically it was in better shape than many cars half it's age. I am healthy, the car reliably hauled (only) my ass to the jobs/stores/home/school, it ain't necessary for it to drop me off at the frig'n door step. There are people who have passengers, have mobility problems, large cargo, etcetera, or just have a preference, who could use those spaces.

** (hit and runs parked on streets)

...but you'll catch 'em in the twisties.
Very entertaining to catch and watch $100k+ exotic sports car owners in the twisties. I've noticed Lambo owners are usually cool and wave me by, but not so with some (Sunday-driving-low-skill-bloted-ego)-Porsche-owners. Being near Hollywood LA-la-land, it's not too surprising.

OP, those that know of the FiST just smile. Those who don't, DON'T MATTER. Life's just too short. Enjoy your $24k, $100k+ "sports-car"-owner-embarassing, hot-hatch FiST!

Business6

I couldn't give a damn about status or car hierarchy. Anything that I held on to in that department was lost when I picked up my first Miata. I enjoyed driving it so much, even in its rather interesting state, that the only thing that mattered to me was the driving and the feel that it provided. Then I got another Miata and then another.

If you're giving a shit about what anyone else thinks you're missing out on the most important life lesson of being an enthusiast, stock or modded, there is: you do you.

OP
J
Thread Starter #13
I LOVE these responses. I honestly don't really care either. The main reason for it is to avoid the dents. I'm paranoid about that. I'll actually check my car before I leave just to make sure no one's dinged it. LOL. I love my car.

Very entertaining to catch and watch $100k+ exotic sports car owners in the twisties. I've noticed Lambo owners are usually cool and wave me by, but not so with some (Sunday-driving-low-skill-bloted-ego)-Porsche-owners. Being near Hollywood LA-la-land, it's not too surprising.

OP, those that know of the FiST just smile. Those who don't, DON'T MATTER. Life's just too short. Enjoy your $24k, $100k+ "sports-car"-owner-embarassing, hot-hatch FiST!
I can't say I've seen a correlation with brand and ego on the track, and I wonder if Porsche's reputation is due to just how many of them are out there. I'll see 10 P cars to every F or L (but I live in the midwest). I've noticed more of a correlation to the dollar amount of the car and ego. I'll avoid a new 911 Turbo or 488 as much as I can. Those guys may have new fast car syndrome, and something to prove with the $250k they spent, and maybe not enough track experience. I'll play tag with a ratted out 996 Carrera that is track worthy all day long.

I learned my lesson years ago at my very first track day, when I got lapped by a ratty, but completely gutted and track-prepped old 944. That car probably weighed 2000 lbs and was fast as hell, and probably cost $10k all-in.

I have a "nice car". Anyone that has mutual respect for other vehicles is ok in my book. So yes, you belong

I walk a long way whenever I park in a parking lot, also to avoid door dings from incoherent or inconsiderate a-holes. I don't want any, and it will hurt if and when I get any. Keeping the car looking good is also why the first thing I did was drop $1000 on paint film up front. It's a lot of money (about 5% of the cost of the car!!), but money well spent to keep it nice. If and when it gets damaged, and I am sure it will because it is driven, at least I will have done what I could to avoid it.

Paint film helps. The front of my car looks way better than it would have otherwise at three years old. When the guy was installing film on the front of my car, he also had a new Ferrari California Spyder in his shop. The car was partially disassembled, with the lights, bumpers, door handles and other parts removed and lined up on his shop floor. I asked what he was doing to it. He replied "the whole car". Really, the guy was having clear bra film installed to cover the entire car. Now that's being careful. One of the greatest luxuries in life is having a beater car. We have an old Civic that we use for trips downtown where parking is tight, and a parking space with a lot of room is rare. If that car got a new ding, we wouldn't notice. It's quite liberating to have a car that you treat like... a car.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I walk a long way whenever I park in a parking lot, also to avoid door dings from incoherent or inconsiderate a-holes. I don't want any, and it will hurt if and when I get any. Keeping the car looking good is also why the first thing I did was drop $1000 on paint film up front. It's a lot of money (about 5% of the cost of the car!!), but money well spent to keep it nice. If and when it gets damaged, and I am sure it will because it is driven, at least I will have done what I could to avoid it.
Now I kind of regret not doing this as well, but I did not even know about it at the time of purchase.

Too late now as it already has a few small chips after a year and a half of ownership from new. [:(]
I guess that grand will have to go towards a full re-paint in the future, once the car is paid off, IF it bothers me that much. ;)

Last edited: