Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

AWR 88a RMM first install review

Any update on this? Going back and forth between getting the 70a or 88a
I got the 70 and I could only really notice it the first few days. I loved the feel of the vibrations because I thought it made the car feel powerful. Other than performance wise it pretty much feels stock to me now in terms of NVH at about 400 miles

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

OP
TDavis

TDavis

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #23
Any update on this? Going back and forth between getting the 70a or 88a
I would say I've probably put almost 500 miles on them. Maybe 300~.

What I can say is that I feel its dampened down a bit. That and in combination with me getting used to it, I don't get unnerved anymore when the vibrations are apparent. It is VERY livable and I would still highly recommend the 88a bushing. You'll feel a little uneasy at the beginning but if you're anything like me you'll get used to it pretty quickly and not bat an eye to it.

LILIKE16ST

I installed this mount not long ago it's very awesome in particular for the price. I would recommend the 88d if you're actually wanting to make a nice change to to the better in shift feel and overall performance assuming you're not super ultra sensitive to vibs. The vibs are noticeable on startup and on takeoff up to about 1500 rpm and after that it isn't very noticeable at all if any. My stratified tune changed the idle rpm to 1000 and with that mod to the tune it makes it even less noticeable at idle. I have 900-1000 miles on the Mount now and I've gotten used to it but it has also eased up some on breakin. This is the best mount for the price. Get at least the 88 if you want to make a noticeable change to the better (I don't feel the 70 would be enough given how the 88 feels) unless you're super sensitive to vibs stick with the 70. If you're that sensitive to vibs maybe you shouldn't be replacing the mount at all because imo this is how an aftermarket mount should feel. Feels nice and solid and connected and makes shifting feel much crisper and really helps the feel of Rev matched downshifts as someone already mentioned. Obviously it helps traction as well and helps to mostly eliminate wheelhop as well. And for the price of 110 bucks (even less with the whoosh forum discount) it's for sure worth that and it's one of the better mods you can get for the money along with a short shift.

I think I ordered mine in January but just got around to installing it yesterday morning. I have pretty close to 140miles on it at this point and can already tell the vibrations are subsiding. Need to fully break it in before giving a more accurate review but I love it so far. Should have installed it sooner.

Also, fwiw, I have the 70 and already wonder if I should have gone 88.

OP
TDavis

TDavis

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #26
I installed this mount not long ago it's very awesome in particular for the price. I would recommend the 88d if you're actually wanting to make a nice change to to the better in shift feel and overall performance assuming you're not super ultra sensitive to vibs. The vibs are noticeable on startup and on takeoff up to about 1500 rpm and after that it isn't very noticeable at all if any. My stratified tune changed the idle rpm to 1000 and with that mod to the tune it makes it even less noticeable at idle. I have 900-1000 miles on the Mount now and I've gotten used to it but it has also eased up some on breakin. This is the best mount for the price. Get at least the 88 if you want to make a noticeable change to the better (I don't feel the 70 would be enough given how the 88 feels) unless you're super sensitive to vibs stick with the 70. If you're that sensitive to vibs maybe you shouldn't be replacing the mount at all because imo this is how an aftermarket mount should feel. Feels nice and solid and connected and makes shifting feel much crisper and really helps the feel of Rev matched downshifts as someone already mentioned. Obviously it helps traction as well and helps to mostly eliminate wheelhop as well. And for the price of 110 bucks (even less with the whoosh forum discount) it's for sure worth that and it's one of the better mods you can get for the money along with a short shift.
Couldn't have said it better myself.

And worse comes to worse. You can just buy the separate 70a bushing if the 88a is too much and still be under the price of a Cobb RMM.

If its a daily driver, get the 70a. It makes a huge difference and breaks in nicely. More vibrations than what it adds would get annoying quick.

anticon

I just installed the 88a version on my 2017. I wasn't sure how much of a difference to expect since the 2016+ has a stiffer stock RMM (I noticed the stock RMM had a label stuck on with "ST" on it.) But the difference was huge. I remember when I test drove the FiST for the first time, I thought the launch and shifts felt very lurchy. I thought it was just that I was out of practice with a manual (I had been shifting on a 92 hilux pickup, and a 1954 Willys CJ3B.) But, as I continued to drive I never seemed to get any better at it, if I wanted to launch quickly I could expect the car to jerk a little bit at launch and between 1 and 2. This mod pretty much eliminated that. It also felt like the handling improved, less torque steer or something. The vibrations are very noticeable on a cold start at idle, but once it warms up it is minimal. I kind of like the vibration though, I feel more connected and I feel like I can feel the power and the engine a little more. I will say it does seem slightly noisier in the cabin, I'm not sure why because it doesn't seem like vibration noise, just more engine noise (I still have the symposer intact.) I'm looking forward to seeing if it mellows out. Just my two cents...

I torqued the two bolts through the bushings to 50 lb-ft (I ramped up to 50 lb-ft because I had read about others stripping threads), and the other nuts to 20 lb-ft. I put anti-seize grease on everything (maybe should have used loctite). I figure I will check the torque on the bolts when I get my springs and dampers installed next. Overall the install was easy, I did it with my wife and kid hanging around outside, no cussing involved. I am glad for this forum though, otherwise I would have had no clue.

My ramps wouldn't work so I jacked up the car with a 3 ton hydraulic jack starting with the drivers side. I set jackstands at the jacking points. I used foam padding on all the stands and jacks. I decided I didn't fully trust the jack stands, and put the ramps under the front tires. At this height the rear tire was completely off the ground too, which surprised me and kind of sketched me out. I then moved to the passenger and did the same thing. I had chocks on the rear wheels also.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Good call with the jackstands....
NEVER EVER EVER trust a Hydraulic jack by itself.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

LILIKE16ST

I just installed the 88a version on my 2017. I wasn't sure how much of a difference to expect since the 2016+ has a stiffer stock RMM (I noticed the stock RMM had a label stuck on with "ST" on it.) But the difference was huge. I remember when I test drove the FiST for the first time, I thought the launch and shifts felt very lurchy. I thought it was just that I was out of practice with a manual (I had been shifting on a 92 hilux pickup, and a 1954 Willys CJ3B.) But, as I continued to drive I never seemed to get any better at it, if I wanted to launch quickly I could expect the car to jerk a little bit at launch and between 1 and 2. This mod pretty much eliminated that. It also felt like the handling improved, less torque steer or something. The vibrations are very noticeable on a cold start at idle, but once it warms up it is minimal. I kind of like the vibration though, I feel more connected and I feel like I can feel the power and the engine a little more. I will say it does seem slightly noisier in the cabin, I'm not sure why because it doesn't seem like vibration noise, just more engine noise (I still have the symposer intact.) I'm looking forward to seeing if it mellows out. Just my two cents...

I torqued the two bolts through the bushings to 50 lb-ft (I ramped up to 50 lb-ft because I had read about others stripping threads), and the other nuts to 20 lb-ft. I put anti-seize grease on everything (maybe should have used loctite). I figure I will check the torque on the bolts when I get my springs and dampers installed next. Overall the install was easy, I did it with my wife and kid hanging around outside, no cussing involved. I am glad for this forum though, otherwise I would have had no clue.

My ramps wouldn't work so I jacked up the car with a 3 ton hydraulic jack starting with the drivers side. I set jackstands at the jacking points. I used foam padding on all the stands and jacks. I decided I didn't fully trust the jack stands, and put the ramps under the front tires. At this height the rear tire was completely off the ground too, which surprised me and kind of sketched me out. I then moved to the passenger and did the same thing. I had chocks on the rear wheels also.

Nice review and pretty spot on with my experience with the mount. It's a great upgrade for the price and really helps overall feel of the car. I've had my car jacked in the front with the rear tire off the ground multiple times it's pretty easy to do with this small car and short wheel base.

OP
TDavis

TDavis

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #32
I've put atleast 3-4k miles on it now and I think its mellowed out a bit. I know a lot of people have said that but its hard to tell when you don't know if its actually broken in or you have just gotten used to it lol.

No regrets getting the 88a mount.

LILIKE16ST

I've put atleast 3-4k miles on it now and I think its mellowed out a bit. I know a lot of people have said that but its hard to tell when you don't know if its actually broken in or you have just gotten used to it lol.

No regrets getting the 88a mount.
I feel the same way...I think one does get used to it some and that is part of it but the mount also breaks in too because mine was much more stiff and boomy on start up when I first installed it and I can tell it's mellowed but I have also gotten used to it...no regrets here either

flbchbm

1000 Post Club
You all make it difficult to choose 70 vs. 88...lol After reading practically every thread on every brand, I am willing to bet good money they should make a 75 instead of 70. Since mine is a daily driver, I chose the 70 and will install this weekend. While I don't like vibes, I hate slop much more. Like stated above, I had not driven manual in 15 years except for my cycle (which is for sale...) and I am having difficulty in first and shifting into second. Let's hope that goes away...

OP
TDavis

TDavis

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #35
I could see why people would think the 88a is a little sketchy at first. But I'm literally so used to it now I don't bat an eye to the vibration.