Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Downpipe question

So... I bought the maxamizer turbo back exhaust and I'm getting this weird rattling sound that appears to be coming from the flex joint portion of the downpipe (i know this from throwing it on the rack and disassembling the catback from the dp and will post a video later). This exhaust, up until this point, has been working very well for me but unfortunately this has really stopped me from ever recommending this exhaust. I tried to contact the seller about this and to see if I could source a replacement dp and no luck after two weeks. I love the cat-back part of the system and have no complaints there and get constant praise for the sound but I think part of the reason this exhaust is so great day to day is because its very quiet of the highway and putting around and I think alot of it has to do with the resonator in the dp so.... I think my only solution is to repair the dp. So here is my dilemma...
I was talking to a tig welder who worked at Vance and Hines for many years (who also owned many turbo cars) and he recommends to just cut the flex out and weld in a replacement pipe. I'm weary about having a dp without a flex joint in it. He said he's ran many custom exhausts (he made himself) on his own cars that he never ran a flex joint on. I would love suggestions on what I should do. I would run my other 3" dp but with the angle of this catback it just won't mate. Thank you for all the help and ignorance.

OP
CGLENN27
Thread Starter #3
Why not just weld in a new flex joint?
This is also an option, and the one I'm most leaning on. Because of the design of the dp, there is very little room between the resonator and the o2 bung (so its a tiny flex joint) and when I mentioned it to the guy, he said why? it would be cheaper and would work just fine and you wouldn't have to worry about it making the same noise again. And I guess that's my question.... would it be detrimental to not have a flex joint? does it put added stress to the turbo mounting hardware? Is it a bad idea to not use a flex joint?

DangerMouse

Personally I would make sure to run a flex joint. I am not familiar with the brand but it could be a lesser quality flex joint.

Replace it and if it goes bad again go with a different downpipe.