Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

215/45r17 question

Going to need new tires soon. My car is on springs and running the rota grid 17x8 wheels. From what I’ve seen 215/40 run well with no rubbing I’m just wondering if I could get away with 215/45 tires. Any people on here running these tire size on springs ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BRGT350

1000 Post Club
I tried a set of P215-45 17 on 17 x 7 wheels on a stock non-ST Fiesta and the tire was pretty close to touching the front bumper cover when turning the wheel and the rear fender liner. I had been using P215/40 17 on a few different Fiestas. One with stock non-ST springs, FRPP handling pack springs, stock ST springs, and Mountune springs. No issues at all with P215/40 17. I changed to P205/45 17 last summer with Mountune springs and had to trim the front bumper cover, stretch and pull the rear fender liner with zip ties, remove the spare tire and jack, and not allow any passengers. I am not terribly confident a P215/45 17 on an 8" wheel with any lowering springs will be good. There is fitting static and then there is fitting through the articulation of the suspension.

OP
S
Thread Starter #3
I tried a set of P215-45 17 on 17 x 7 wheels on a stock non-ST Fiesta and the tire was pretty close to touching the front bumper cover when turning the wheel and the rear fender liner. I had been using P215/40 17 on a few different Fiestas. One with stock non-ST springs, FRPP handling pack springs, stock ST springs, and Mountune springs. No issues at all with P215/40 17. I changed to P205/45 17 last summer with Mountune springs and had to trim the front bumper cover, stretch and pull the rear fender liner with zip ties, remove the spare tire and jack, and not allow any passengers. I am not terribly confident a P215/45 17 on an 8" wheel with any lowering springs will be good. There is fitting static and then there is fitting through the articulation of the suspension.
Damn so I’m forced in using 215/40. Thanks for the comment

I currently have 215/45R17 potenza re71r's on my ST with stock supension and stock rims, I get a little scrub in the front (inner fender well I think) if turning more than about half lock while hitting a bump. (I have a corner on my road where this happens every single day when my car is out in the summer) Also, my rear fender liner(s), that fabric BS they used are completely worn through from contacting the tire. So if you are lowered at all I would avoid that size.

OP
S
Thread Starter #5
I currently have 215/45R17 potenza re71r's on my ST with stock supension and stock rims, I get a little scrub in the front (inner fender well I think) if turning more than about half lock while hitting a bump. (I have a corner on my road where this happens every single day when my car is out in the summer) Also, my rear fender liner(s), that fabric BS they used are completely worn through from contacting the tire. So if you are lowered at all I would avoid that size.
Yeah I guess if I want fatter tires I need smaller wheels. Thanks for he info

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Plus, the RE71Rs tend to run a good bit narrower in tread width than most others in the same sizes. [:(]

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Of course Michelin, in all of their wisdom, STILL refuses to make ANYTHING in a 40 series max performance SUMMER tire for our application. [mad]

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Of course Michelin, in all of their wisdom, STILL refuses to make ANYTHING in a 40 series max performance SUMMER tire for our application. [mad]

BRGT350

1000 Post Club
Yeah I guess if I want fatter tires I need smaller wheels. Thanks for he info

A 215/40 has the same tread width as a 215/45. The difference is the aspect ratio, which determines the overall diameter. I have been the most happy with the P215/40 17 tire size, but there just aren't many great tires in that size.

BRGT350

1000 Post Club

The 2019 Fiesta ST looks to have P205/40 17 Michelin summer tires from the factory! https://www.autoblog.com/2018/03/15/2019-ford-fiesta-st-improvements/#slide-4694598 I still prefer a taller sidewall due to the horrible Michigan roads.

Errr, those might be 18" instead.