Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Front and Rear Brake Upgrades Installed

slopoke

Just installed my Wilwood front BBK. Installation was pretty straight forward. For the rear, I went with the Focus SVT rear caliper brackets with plain rotors to match the front. Took it out for a drive and HOLY POOP, does it stop!! Glad I did it. One thing, the clearance from the caliper O/B face to wheel inner face is dam close. The installation guide says .080 minimum clearance, I've got .079, close enough for me, but dam that's close.

I'm also interested to see how things turned out. Might be a worthwhile upgrade.

OP
slopoke

slopoke

Thread Starter #7
OK, here are some pics. The close ups of the wheels show just how close together the wheels and calipers are with stock wheels. I'm going to add a little more space by adding a hub centric 3mm spacer. I looked at the hub for adequate wheel penetration and there is more than enough to go into the wheel and support it.

As far as wheel lugs go, the stock ones will be OK for a 3mm spacer. I counted 11 turns of the lug nut. With a 1.5mm pitch, the spacer needs 2 turns, that leaves 9 turns. I looked online and for the diameter and thread pitch, 6.5 turns is minimum. So with 2.5 turns extra, I'm good to go.

I like how the rear brake setup now fills up more space. The stock setup looked so puny in the 17" rim opening.

One big thing that I realized a day after I installed them, is that you have to get a spare in a size that will fit the brakes. The 15" spare will not do the job. So if you have a flat and don't get a larger wheel as a spare and you don't have towing service available, you are screwed. I lucked out and a terrific forum member with the handle of me32 had a complete set for sale an hours drive away. I picked them up yesterday.

OP
slopoke

slopoke

Thread Starter #9
Very nice! Where did you find the SVT calipers?
The calipers are stock ones, just used 2002-2004 Ford Focus SVT brackets with them. Finding the brackets them selves are like looking for a Unicorn. New ones are almost impossible to get, unless you have a hookup. Used ones are out there but are hard to find. I bought mine from Gold Coast Automotive, they were used.

Easiest way is to just buy remanufactured 2002-2004 Ford Focus SVT calipers with brackets. You will pay about $90.00 more than buying the brackets by them selves, but you don't have to search high and low just for the brackets.

All that is left is to buy two 2002-2004 Ford focus SVT rotors. I was lucky and found one on Amazon for $13.00 including shipping due to me being a Prime member. I think the other was $33.00 from Carid, including shipping. Only other option is to dump $1050.00 or so for a Wilwood setup.

me32

1000 Post Club
OK, here are some pics. The close ups of the wheels show just how close together the wheels and calipers are with stock wheels. I'm going to add a little more space by adding a hub centric 3mm spacer. I looked at the hub for adequate wheel penetration and there is more than enough to go into the wheel and support it.

As far as wheel lugs go, the stock ones will be OK for a 3mm spacer. I counted 11 turns of the lug nut. With a 1.5mm pitch, the spacer needs 2 turns, that leaves 9 turns. I looked online and for the diameter and thread pitch, 6.5 turns is minimum. So with 2.5 turns extra, I'm good to go.

I like how the rear brake setup now fills up more space. The stock setup looked so puny in the 17" rim opening.

One big thing that I realized a day after I installed them, is that you have to get a spare in a size that will fit the brakes. The 15" spare will not do the job. So if you have a flat and don't get a larger wheel as a spare and you don't have towing service available, you are screwed. I lucked out and a terrific forum member with the handle of me32 had a complete set for sale an hours drive away. I picked them up yesterday.

Thanks slopoke. It was nice meeting you too. Glad it will fit your needs. The new brakes look great on your car. Gotta love the red really stands out. When you want to go fast you need to be able to stop.

Truth in Ruin

1000 Post Club
The calipers are stock ones, just used 2002-2004 Ford Focus SVT brackets with them. Finding the brackets them selves are like looking for a Unicorn. New ones are almost impossible to get, unless you have a hookup. Used ones are out there but are hard to find. I bought mine from Gold Coast Automotive, they were used.

Easiest way is to just buy remanufactured 2002-2004 Ford Focus SVT calipers with brackets. You will pay about $90.00 more than buying the brackets by them selves, but you don't have to search high and low just for the brackets.

All that is left is to buy two 2002-2004 Ford focus SVT rotors. I was lucky and found one on Amazon for $13.00 including shipping due to me being a Prime member. I think the other was $33.00 from Carid, including shipping. Only other option is to dump $1050.00 or so for a Wilwood setup.
Thanks for this info. Nice work too :)

jeffreylyon

1000 Post Club
Premium Account

Yeah, I've found remanufactured calipers w/ brackets for $100 or so a side, but not the brackets by themselves. Once you have the brackets is it as easy as hanging the stock calipers on the new brackets?

Re. the Wilwoods - I've heard so-so reviews, esp. with respect the the emergency brake.

Of course, there's always this: http://www.pumaspeed.com/product-Fiesta-ST180-280mm-Rear-Brake-Conversion_16966.jsp ...

OP
slopoke

slopoke

Thread Starter #13
Yeah, I've found remanufactured calipers w/ brackets for $100 or so a side, but not the brackets by themselves. Once you have the brackets is it as easy as hanging the stock calipers on the new brackets?

Re. the Wilwoods - I've heard so-so reviews, esp. with respect the the emergency brake.

Of course, there's always this: http://www.pumaspeed.com/product-Fiesta-ST180-280mm-Rear-Brake-Conversion_16966.jsp ...
Yup, just mount the rotor, install the brackets and mount the calipers to the brackets. Don't forget to lube the pins. Also if you have the factory red calipers. I used VHT brand caliper paint on the brackets to match. Pretty close to a perfect color match.

One big thing, the parking brake cable most likely will need a little more slack. Just use a straight slot screw driver and pry the attach bracket open that's located a little forward a little to release the grip and this will let you get more cable slack.

Piece of cake.

TDavis

1000 Post Club
Even I can't get the brackets and I work at Ford, rotors are easily acquired though. According to the catalog the brackets are obsolete and copy pasting the old part# you can't find anything on Google thats for sale. I'll have to search more because, like you, I like that the SVT rear brakes fill the rear wheel better.

I'm sure there is the Part # somewhere but for people looking for OEM SVT rear rotors the part # is 4U2Z-1V125-JB

Old Part# for the brackets is 2M5Z-2B582-AA

Woods247

2000 Post Club
I'm about to install the same rear setup. I paid heavily (eBay) for the brackets but it is still way less expensive than Wilwood's rear option.

For flat front tires, move a rear wheel to the front and put the spare on the back. Should work with the SVT rear upgrade. I will test it after my installation.

For flat front tires, move a rear wheel to the front and put the spare on the back. Should work with the SVT rear upgrade. I will test it after my installation.
Yeah I agree. Shouldn’t run a spare on the front wheels of a FWD vehicle in any case.

I just got some rear SVT brackets off eBay. It looks like the seller has lots of SVTs and just put up some more brackets for sale for $140. I sand blasted and painted mine. Will install when I know for sure which pads I want.

TDavis

1000 Post Club
I just got some rear SVT brackets off eBay. It looks like the seller has lots of SVTs and just put up some more brackets for sale for $140. I sand blasted and painted mine. Will install when I know for sure which pads I want.
Link?

Anyone know how much bigger the SVT rear rotors are compared to stock?

ron@whoosh

3000 Post Club
Vendor
Premium Account
Link?

Anyone know how much bigger the SVT rear rotors are compared to stock?
I'm not an expert on this by any means but I "think"
stock 253mm vs 280mm or approx a 10% diameter increase

pad and bite area obviously stays the same