Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Sunroof glass replacement

I’ve had a strange idea, I need to bounce it off the forum’s head.

Would it be possible to replace the glass panel in the sunroof with an aluminum one and retain the ability to be opened? As well as retain the weather seal?

I’m just curious based on my hobby of enthusiastic “touring” of the many abandoned gravel back roads in my region. I’d hate to ruin my coiffure with shards of glass, after all I am a gentleman.

Also, yes, I should’ve just ordered an 18 sans hole in ceiling, but that wasn’t looking like a possibility late last year so I snapped up mine that was dealer stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Glue and macaroni

Although it may scratch somewhat easily, I imagine you could cut a sheet of plexiglass or polycarbonate to fit. They're probably flexible enough to fit the slight curvature of the roof and gaskets as well.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
OP
captainmorbid
Thread Starter #6

DangerMouse

I didn't want the sunroof but couldn't find a magnetic metallic with orange recaros without one. Oh well.

I want the weight reduction.

OP
captainmorbid
Thread Starter #8
I didn't want the sunroof but couldn't find a magnetic metallic with orange recaros without one. Oh well.

I want the weight reduction.
EVERY dealer stock ST in Canada is always full load. I have nav too! Ugh.. not a rally car with glass roof, though with nav who needs a co-driver! Lol!

though with nav who needs a co-driver! Lol!

THIS! lol my cousin and I were driving back from a town 3 hours away, at night, and we were trying to make it back as quick as possible and the road we were on was winding through the hills and he was on his phone, looking at the map giving me rally instructions as I tore down this road in a pick-up truck. We made excellent time, now with the FiST.... I take a quick peek at the screen to see what i have coming up. Its amazing.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Lol! That would match the Ray-bans! Still would shatter the way I drive... ;)
Ah okay, I did miss that part.

It wouldn't be as good as the tempered autoglass that has the laminant between the layers of glass, but a high quality UV resistant sticky laminant applied to the top and bottom should provide enough protection; short of something bigger coming down...

OP
captainmorbid
Thread Starter #13
I could even go for a carbon fiber fixed panel, get rid of everything up there.
I’d love too, waaaay more headroom. But, there are a daunting amount of parts on the inside.. sunroof cassette, wiring, headliner..

DangerMouse

I’d love too, waaaay more headroom. But, there are a daunting amount of parts on the inside.. sunroof cassette, wiring, headliner..

I'm not scared. Definitely take some time to do but would be worth it.

If you could possibly get a blank of the sunroof glass. I’m sure you could get a replacement made in any substance you wanted... for price.
Polycarbonate, carbon fiber and aluminum.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Sunroof Delete panels. Common in the BMW M3 world. I am sure you could contact a company making them for BMW’s that could do it or give you tips if they don’t wamt to. Basically anything can be done with the right amount of money.

Last edited:
Sunroof Delete panels. Common in the BMW M3 world. I am sure you contact a company making them for B!W’s that could do it or give you tips if they don’t wamt to. Basically anything can be done with the right amount of money.
As one of my friends always says...anything is possible with the proper application of time and money...

Thinking cheap (as usual), how about body-color vinyl over the glass? Depends on the body color I suppose, but hey, it's an idea. ;-)

FB

DangerMouse

Ice Nine made some carbon bits for a Sema build. Including a sunroof delete. Unfortunately I can't find anything on this company anymore.

Ford Community Posts