Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

What is this noise?

https://youtu.be/eq5LEpb0pFs

2014 Fiesta ST.
60,000 KMS.
Noise started around 50k KMS and is getting worse :(

It is a metallic sounding noise. It happens when pulling lightly in 1st, 2nd and 3rd gears around 2000-3000 RPMs.

Sounds like it is coming from the exhaust or back of the car area - it is really annoying!

I am hoping the video helps - but it sounds much more prominent and loud in person.

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
I can't really tell from the video. Did you look underneath? Maybe a loose exhaust hanger?

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Sounds like something rattling. But it's damn hard to pickup even with headphones. (lot of bassy "background" noise) The noise occurs at the beginning of the video and again on the next shift as the RPMs ramp up.

OP
F
Thread Starter #4
You’re right. Listen carefully and you can hear the noise at 4 seconds in the video for the 1st gear pull and then again between 7 to 10 seconds in the video for the 2nd gear pull. It is exactly that a rattling metallic noise.

slopoke

Years ago I had the honeycomb bun in a catalytic converter come loose. It was similar to the sound yours is making. That is if my 55 year old ears are hearing the same thing as you are hearing.

Put the car up on jackstands and start shaking things around. Take a rubber mallet and tap things too.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Basic goal is to load the engine while someone listens underneath for the rattling.

Block off the rear wheels to prevent forward or backward movement.
Jack up the front. (jack and stands go under the front cross-member behind the engine)
Put weight on the jack stands, while keeping the jack in place.
Start the car then check your jack stands again.
Run the RPMs up and down while someone listens underneath.
The engine not being loaded, I assume nothing is heard?

With the front end up in the air, you might be able to use the front brakes to load the engine while someone listens for the rattle underneath. It might be necessary to use a higher gear. The challenge will be getting to that sweet spot in the harmonic range.

Ford Community Posts