Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Entry level

Hey guys! Looking at getting a fiesta ST between 14-16
My question is, what are the first mods you guys did to make the car last longer? What is most likely to fail that should be changed quickly?

OP
J
Thread Starter #3
Thanks I will, I just want an idea for what is common failure or problem areas for you guys.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
Thanks I will, I just want an idea for what is common failure or problem areas for you guys.
Number one thing that seems to fail is the blender door actuator. For the HVAC system. Also the handle for the seat adjuster is a piece of junk. Also in 2016 they change the EVAP Emissions on the air intake.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

OP
J
Thread Starter #5
Number one thing that seems to fail is the blender door actuator. For the HVAC system. Also the handle for the seat adjuster is a piece of junk. Also in 2016 they change the EVAP Emissions on the air intake.

Great okay doesn’t seem too bad then

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My question is, what are the first mods you guys did to make the car last longer? What is most likely to fail that should be changed quickly?
Truthfully there is not much to change. Yes the blend door might go out, but it is not something that you can really change out and be cured. Some have changed it 2 or 3 times. It is kind of a pain to get to, so I wouldn't change it out until it is an issue.

The thing I changed out first was the stock BOV to a GFB DV+. Basically replaces the plastic piece with a full metal piece. If your looking for consistent power an intercooler is your best first mod.

OP
J
Thread Starter #7
Truthfully there is not much to change. Yes the blend door might go out, but it is not something that you can really change out and be cured. Some have changed it 2 or 3 times. It is kind of a pain to get to, so I wouldn't change it out until it is an issue.

The thing I changed out first was the stock BOV to a GFB DV+. Basically replaces the plastic piece with a full metal piece. If your looking for consistent power an intercooler is your best first mod.
Thank you! That’s great to know

BRGT350

1000 Post Club
From a reliability standpoint, the best modification is probably to leave it stock. Any deviation from what the factory designed is potential for less reliability. However, that isn't much fun.

The modifications I have made to make the car last longer were nothing for performance, but rather protecting the car from winter. WRC front mud flaps, underbody protection, clear bra, fog light LaminX, and rubber floor mats are all modifications done with the intention of making the car last longer and combat the damage from winter. All of that stuff comes off in the summer. Other than that, using high quality fuel will really help with the direct injection engine. The rest of the modifications I have done to my ST probably aren't going to improve the life of the car, but rather the enjoyment of the driver.

OP
J
Thread Starter #9
From a reliability standpoint, the best modification is probably to leave it stock. Any deviation from what the factory designed is potential for less reliability. However, that isn't much fun.

The modifications I have made to make the car last longer were nothing for performance, but rather protecting the car from winter. WRC front mud flaps, underbody protection, clear bra, fog light LaminX, and rubber floor mats are all modifications done with the intention of making the car last longer and combat the damage from winter. All of that stuff comes off in the summer. Other than that, using high quality fuel will really help with the direct injection engine. The rest of the modifications I have done to my ST probably aren't going to improve the life of the car, but rather the enjoyment of the driver.
Absolutely, and I am not too concerned with the car I just wanted to see if you guys had any failures. The car will probably get some light mods such as exhaust, bov, and some looks. As you said to make it more enjoyable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BRGT350

1000 Post Club
Just shy of 40,000 miles and all of those have been with some level of modifications. No issues so far with anything I have done. The best modification I made was the Cobb Accessport with Mountune tuning.

My plan is to replace all the rubber hoses that carry coolant with silicone replacements. The underhood temps are pretty extreme. I am also planning to replace the plastic coolant tank and cap assembly with new service parts. The coolant tank will become brittle with age. I also plan to install a new serpentine belt. Failure of any of those parts is likely to be near instant death for the engine if it overheats. All those parts and new coolant cost less than what the average 50 mile towing fee is. The silicone hoses are a one time purchase, they are super durable. The coolant tank should be viewed as a weak link in the system. Thats my plan for improved longevity.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
My plan is to replace all the rubber hoses that carry coolant with silicone replacements. The underhood temps are pretty extreme. I am also planning to replace the plastic coolant tank and cap assembly with new service parts. The coolant tank will become brittle with age. I also plan to install a new serpentine belt. Failure of any of those parts is likely to be near instant death for the engine if it overheats. All those parts and new coolant cost less than what the average 50 mile towing fee is. The silicone hoses are a one time purchase, they are super durable. The coolant tank should be viewed as a weak link in the system. Thats my plan for improved longevity.
Hey do what you want man, but I've never had a coolant tank fail in my life and I keep my vehicles for life.

I've seen them fail within 3 years. Take a trip over to the Fiesta 1.0 liter forums. There is mention of failures in that area. I'm not mentioning it to freak anyone out. But the cooling systems are an area of concern with these cars.

XanRules

the underhood temps on this car are quite high. To my knowledge, much of the cooling system is not a known "failure point," but can certainly be a bottleneck from a performance (and possibly reliability) standpoint, especially if you live in a hot climate.

OP
J
Thread Starter #15
I live in Calgary so heat shouldn’t be terrible but maybe I’ll do a better front mount

The stock "low beam" headlight bulbs need changed first!!! They wouldn't light up an ants motorscooter going around a cheerio at night. Easy to do and safety first IMO.

I'm surprised no one has mention the Rear Motor Mount. On the older cars, they seemed to be very soft and would cause some issues. Super easy to change and not very much money.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
From a reliability standpoint, the best modification is probably to leave it stock. Any deviation from what the factory designed is potential for less reliability. However, that isn't much fun. ....................
Nail on head. This is one of the reasons that buyers shy away from modified vehicles. Working on stuff because a "mod" screwed something up and/or reduced it's life span ain't fun either; particularly when you already have some miles on it and normal maintenance becomes necessary. Someone replaced the radio in my last car. When the piece of crap replacement had to be replaced, I found that the idgit had cut out the factory harness to match the radio, instead of cutting the radio to match the factory harness. This created a lot more time and work for the process of replacing it. For my prior car, well into it's life, there were some things that I modified. They were modified to help mitigate design flaws. Gasket maker on top of the strut towers. (water & road salt would sit between the strut mount and body) Ran a cold thermostat. (early aluminum head, iron block design - different expansion rates created premature failures of their H-Gaskets) Honed-out the caliper slide mount bores. (calipers slide mounts would routinely lock-up - slowly warping rotor sets)

As far as this vehicle, so far, watch your temps, watch your coolant levels and just perform the regular maintenance.

The HVAC blend door system is truly a failure point. The system is constantly making minor adjustments to the blend doors when you have it set on something other than "Hi" or "Lo".

Things that stress the blend door servos are:
* Frigid temperatures
* Adjusting while blower on full
* Adjusting while windows are open at highway speeds (due to high negative cabin pressure)

You can't avoid frigid temperatures, but just keeping the blower off or on a lower speed *before* shutting down the engine will help prevent "premature" failure.

XanRules

I'm surprised no one has mention the Rear Motor Mount. On the older cars, they seemed to be very soft and would cause some issues. Super easy to change and not very much money.
Agreed. I thought people were joking around when they said it was a night and day difference for like, twenty minutes of work. They were not. It's the real deal.

I live in Calgary so heat shouldn’t be terrible but maybe I’ll do a better front mount

Whoa another FiST owner from Calgary welcome!! I’ve seen in the 2 years I’ve had my 16 I’ve seen MAYBE a dozen lol