Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Sync 3 v3.0 released

Well they are partly wrong. Software is warranty if it needs to be updated to work correctly. If the software is working correctly as it came with your car then they are not required to update it for you at there cost.
Which would be this type of case. V2.3 works just fine.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

me32

1000 Post Club
Which would be this type of case. V2.3 works just fine.

The user i quoted had originally had sync 3 v 1.0 which worked correctly when he bought the car. That same user then update the v 2.2 and user stated it worked fine. User then updates to v2.3 says there was issues. Tries to update to v 3.0 and gets errors. I understand that it gets frustrating. But to demand the warrenty is responsible to update software system that originally worked fine when user bought the car and then did the upgrades themselves and now having issues doesnt mean the warrenty is required to fix it or update it. Now having a good relationship with the dealership alot of times they will update software for you at no charge under there customer satisfaction program. But based on they way the user posted i dont see that user comming to the dealership in a friendly matter there for the dealership wants to charge him. Also sounds that user may have not had the friendly tone with ford corporate either.

The user i quoted had originally had sync 3 v 1.0 which worked correctly when he bought the car. That same user then update the v 2.2 and user stated it worked fine. User then updates to v2.3 says there was issues. Tries to update to v 3.0 and gets errors. I understand that it gets frustrating. But to demand the warrenty is responsible to update software system that originally worked fine when user bought the car and then did the upgrades themselves and now having issues doesnt mean the warrenty is required to fix it or update it. Now having a good relationship with the dealership alot of times they will update software for you at no charge under there customer satisfaction program. But based on they way the user posted i dont see that user comming to the dealership in a friendly matter there for the dealership wants to charge him. Also sounds that user may have not had the friendly tone with ford corporate either.
Exactly. That's what I meant to imply. The updates are more of a courtesy.

Either way, it sucks.

me32

1000 Post Club
Exactly. That's what I meant to imply. The updates are more of a courtesy.

Either way, it sucks.

I agree all the way. It does suck. And hopefully that guy/gal will get some help. Theres alot of great info out there on issues with updating and alot of good advice. The 2016s had the 1st version of sync 3. It lacks hardware that came out for the 17s and 18s. Also the non nav inits have less memory and get full with just adding a phone. Prior to updating its normally a good idea to do a master reset even more so on the non nav units because it frees up memory needed to load the updating software.

Some have reported that you need to use a USB 3.0 flash drive. Others have reported using a usb 1-2.0 flash drive has caused errors. Not sure why thoe. Even thoe the file is only 1.5gig its suppose to be loaded on a empty 32gig or bigger flash drive with exFAT file format

maestromaestro

1000 Post Club
Even thoe the file is only 1.5gig its suppose to be loaded on a empty 32gig or bigger flash drive with exFAT file format
Not really. I am not sure as to where this originated - perhaps with Ford itself. However, you don't need a 32, a mere 8 will do (did for me). I suspect that there's something about unzippng the files that makes a difference, although I didn't bother playing with the different ways of doing it. If you use the built-in Windows unzipping utility - it SHOULD work. Having said this, I do have a NAV APIM, but I had no problems with installing either the 2.3 or the 3.0. I also disagree on the software update being 'out of warranty' - although this is a bit of a grey territory. Updates on the maps are not included, but - given that Ford does pimp out the new updates and has a web page dedicated to that, my view is that it is on them to ensure that those who are still within the factory warranty get the update, no stroking of the dealer required. Those mofos get all the stroke they deserve as it is.

me32

1000 Post Club
Not really. I am not sure as to where this originated - perhaps with Ford itself. However, you don't need a 32, a mere 8 will do (did for me). I suspect that there's something about unzippng the files that makes a difference, although I didn't bother playing with the different ways of doing it. If you use the built-in Windows unzipping utility - it SHOULD work. Having said this, I do have a NAV APIM, but I had no problems with installing either the 2.3 or the 3.0. I also disagree on the software update being 'out of warranty' - although this is a bit of a grey territory. Updates on the maps are not included, but - given that Ford does pimp out the new updates and has a web page dedicated to that, my view is that it is on them to ensure that those who are still within the factory warranty get the update, no stroking of the dealer required. Those mofos get all the stroke they deserve as it is.
On fords owner site states 32gig. Not saying that nothing else will not work but that info is provided by Ford in there steps to update. I have not installed the new update but i will tomorrow on my way to work in the am. On sync 2 with nav i never had issues with updating. All i can report is what information is out there.

Clearly not stroking the dealer for some dont seem to get them anywhere , but they then come on the site and throw a fit.

me32

1000 Post Club
I just updated my 2018 fusion sync 3 with NAV this morning on the way to work from v2.3 to 3.0. Theses are the steps i used and it worked fine with no hiccups.

64gig samsung usb flash drive 3.0
Formatted with windows to exFat (nothing on the usb drive)

Downloaded sync v3.0 from ford owner site onto my PC with windows 10
Unzipped the sync 3 file using windows 10 built in unzip program onto the the USB drive

Turned car on
Did a master reset on sync 3
Inserted the USB flash drive, make sure its plugged in all the way
Started to drive to work, in about 5min or so it started to install. While its installing on its own you still have all your functionality of your system. The install ran for about 15-20min.
When it is done it will tell you to remove the USB drive. Your system will not finish the install untill you stop your car and turn it off open the door then close the door and turn your car back on. It will then finish the update and youll be able to check your version of sync in settings.

I just updated my 2018 fusion sync 3 with NAV this morning on the way to work from v2.3 to 3.0. Theses are the steps i used and it worked fine with no hiccups.

64gig samsung usb flash drive 3.0
Formatted with windows to exFat (nothing on the usb drive)

Downloaded sync v3.0 from ford owner site onto my PC with windows 10
Unzipped the sync 3 file using windows 10 built in unzip program onto the the USB drive

Turned car on
Did a master reset on sync 3
Inserted the USB flash drive, make sure its plugged in all the way
Started to drive to work, in about 5min or so it started to install. While its installing on its own you still have all your functionality of your system. The install ran for about 15-20min.
When it is done it will tell you to remove the USB drive. Your system will not finish the install untill you stop your car and turn it off open the door then close the door and turn your car back on. It will then finish the update and youll be able to check your version of sync in settings.
See I did the exact same thing and went exactly the same way. Only, I don't have Android Auto still. '16 non-nav FiST.

me32

1000 Post Club
See I did the exact same thing and went exactly the same way. Only, I don't have Android Auto still. '16 non-nav FiST.

Prior to trying to set up android auto did you make sure to use a USB cord from the car to your phone to set it up for the 1st time? Thats what i had to do to set it up.

Prior to trying to set up android auto did you make sure to use a USB cord from the car to your phone to set it up for the 1st time? Thats what i had to do to set it up.
No I guess I'll try that. The option for Android auto doesn't even come up in the settings.

Thanks man. Never would have thought to do that. Knew that Android auto was all over Bluetooth didn't think it would need a USB cord to initialize....

me32

1000 Post Club
Thanks man. Never would have thought to do that. Knew that Android auto was all over Bluetooth didn't think it would need a USB cord to initialize....

No worries man. Glad you got it all worked out. Android auto is pretty cool. I think its really cool for non nav sync because you basically get navigation for free.

No worries man. Glad you got it all worked out. Android auto is pretty cool. I think its really cool for non nav sync because you basically get navigation for free.
And the ability to have waze and Spotify is critical for me.

After reading all this, I was a bit apprehensive. Here is what I did with my '16 non nav FiST

- performed a master reset
- bought a new 32gb flash drive and formatted it per the owner page.
-transferred the file to the flash
- started the car.
- waited for a full system boot
- inserted the flash drive.
- update started
- mem error.

Frustrated

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

No attitude was given man...i have a very good relationship with my service advisor..but the tech is not that good unfortunately...he has a story at that dealer....he is the one that wants to charge 100.00...he is a contractor..sonthat tells you right there whats up..lol..the last ford rep at corporate was pretty nice as well..this has all been documented....i just think the previous experience of corporate saying that was user error was not right..when i have followed every step to the dot.....and to charge a customer for reprograming due to an update snaffu like its happening to a lot of non nav customers aint right.....hell the sync system is still the current system...and the car is only a year old!!! Imagine if your cell phone,tv or computer with less than a year failed due to an update...we know that electronics go obsolete fast, but if your factory warranty is 3 years, then it should cover, updates, repairs replacement of parts...thats why i called bull........so... we will see.