Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Sync 3 v3.0 released

XanRules

Different trim levels have different radios, at least as far as controls go. Depending on the MY, FiSTs would have a My Ford Touch Sync 1, Sync 2, or Sync 3 screens and comm modules. However, there's no telling whether a particular combo is a NAV or non-NAV. The difference is not overt: if there's an actual antenna present that is hooked to the APIM, then it's (likely) a NAV unit. But - you can't tell by just looking at these.

I bought a combo from a junk yard, and happened to be a NAV unit, but they sent it to me without the antenna - so I could only tell when it powered up.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Gotcha - okay. Then I definitely have a non-nav. Just a pleasant little compass on the main screen.

Have I correctly deduced that the non-nav update still isn't quite working?

maestromaestro

1000 Post Club
Gotcha - okay. Then I definitely have a non-nav. Just a pleasant little compass on the main screen.

Have I correctly deduced that the non-nav update still isn't quite working?
Look at post no. 93.

JDG

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
While everyone is jumping through hoops, modifiying files and doing other theatrics to get this installed, what I haven't heard is if there is any benefit. For those who were successful, what did it bring? The only thing I really am interested in is fewer AA crashes on start-up.

maestromaestro

1000 Post Club
While everyone is jumping through hoops, modifiying files and doing other theatrics to get this installed, what I haven't heard is if there is any benefit. For those who were successful, what did it bring? The only thing I really am interested in is fewer AA crashes on start-up.
I don't see much - Ford mumbled something about "improvements" and something about having Waze a better fit. I am yet to detect any tangible benefits. Boots just as slowly into AA.

JDG

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
So after some digging I found version 2.2 and did the downgrade per the f150 forums. I was then able to install version 3.0 without errors but it is pretty glitchy. I opted to revert to 2.2 again until ford confirms an update that has waze with Apple products. Until then, I’m happy enough with version 2.2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DEss

So after some digging I found version 2.2 and did the downgrade per the f150 forums. I was then able to install version 3.0 without errors but it is pretty glitchy. I opted to revert to 2.2 again until ford confirms an update that has waze with Apple products. Until then, I’m happy enough with version 2.2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What glitches did u see?

DEss

Alright guys so update on the whole Saga.So, good news is that after three trips to the dealer and trying to reprogram the module they came to the conclusion that it was bad and that the update have corrupted it so they needed to change it. they did and now I have version 3.0 I have to say I am super happy. Most of the glitches have been completely eliminated at least that's been my experience so far I am working with Android 8.0 Andriod Auto and Spotify and everything else is working as it should. everything open and closes as it should and one surprise was that on my USB drive all my music now shows all the album art and is coming up again on the screen as a did when I had version 1.0. The whole thing was covered by Ford. I did not have to pay anything out of pocket so once again if they tell you that is software-related and the warranty doesn't apply and your vehicle is in warranty ,I don't believe that that's correct and I am glad that I contacted ford corporate on this they did agree with me and now sync3 is performing as it was intended... there are way too many people just like us reporting issues because of that update

me32

1000 Post Club
Alright guys so update on the whole Saga.So, good news is that after three trips to the dealer and trying to reprogram the module they came to the conclusion that it was bad and that the update have corrupted it so they needed to change it. they did and now I have version 3.0 I have to say I am super happy. Most of the glitches have been completely eliminated at least that's been my experience so far I am working with Android 8.0 Andriod Auto and Spotify and everything else is working as it should. everything open and closes as it should and one surprise was that on my USB drive all my music now shows all the album art and is coming up again on the screen as a did when I had version 1.0. The whole thing was covered by Ford. I did not have to pay anything out of pocket so once again if they tell you that is software-related and the warranty doesn't apply and your vehicle is in warranty ,I don't believe that that's correct and I am glad that I contacted ford corporate on this they did agree with me and now sync3 is performing as it was intended... there are way too many people just like us reporting issues because of that update
I'm glad in the end you were able to get it all sorted out and fixed. Glad they found it was more than software and that it was a hardware issues

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
I'm in the same boat, the dealer was unable to update my Sync 3 after a failed WiFi update led to a bad installation file message. My voice recognition doesn't work and it won't pair with my previously paired phone. USB music plays just fine.They have ordered a new APIM module and some connector, hopefully that will fix it.
It's a pain taking it in, but they gave me a loaner while they tried to update it and it's being covered under warranty, so they're handling it in the right way.

16 w/Nav updated by USB no issues. Only bug I noticed so far is the radio seem to start on FM a lot, even if it wasn't what I was last listening too. Not all the time though.
Mine is doing the same annoying thing. Ill shut it off while listening to music on my USB (mp3s) and itll start back up no the radio. I never listen to the radio... Before this bug I was having issues with Sync trying to get me to connect to WIFI every single time I started the car. So far I have installed this update 3 times, and initially it didnt want to install due to the memory error. Ford really screwed up this update. Looking forward to the next update if they plan to patch this one (hopefully).

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
Ford really screwed up this update.
You said that right. I initially thought a failed WiFi update had messed up my Sync 3, but after a lengthy unsuccessful try to update it my dealer said my APIM module was bad, and wouldn't take the update, that the update try had exposed a problem with the module. They ordered a new one on warranty but before they put it in the tech got word from Ford that the update was potentially messing up voice recognition and USB sound on all Sync 3's, and nav maps on nav-equipped cars. They are asking techs all over the country with new APIM's ready to be installed to fix this mess to hold off until they resolve the problems with the update.
I guess this is what we get with cars-as-computers, but I would call Ford's updating process a miserable failure, or a cluster**** if I'm feeling less charitable. At least they do seem to be aware now.

I truly find it troublesome when a company releases products or updates that create issues, then shifting blame to consumers or worse yet...Want to make consumers either pay for the issues or not provide an adequate solution..I am thankful that I have a good dealer rep and that Ford intervened for me. Ford really needs to step to the plate and fix this.There seems to be a lot of customers suffering from these issues..And lets face it....It takes a long time, long phone calls, back and forth with dealer and corporate....It should not be the case..I get there are always glitches and growing pains..but a lot of companies own that by admiting the issues and being transparent.

Also this update DOESNT WORK if you dont have nav. You have to do some kind of PITA work around.

"Hey guys should we test the update to make sure it installs? Nah, itll work, and if it doesnt we have job security to fix that.."

Based on all of this, I will never try to update my non-nav version 2.2 on my 2017 since everything works as it should. I would like to have waze integrated, but I can run it on my iphone which sits on the air vent just to the left of the sync screen, so its fine as is. It just does not seem worth the hassle, unless some future version comes out with features that really are worthwhile.