Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Stock seat

My FiST is my D.D. and unfortunately the stock seats have become extremely uncomfortable. The base has lost its cushion, that it feels like I'm sitting on wood. The car has 31k miles on it and I would like to know the best solution to fixing this problem. I love the car, but would like to know my options.

Stats about me,
6ft 165 pounds
Daily commute appx 140 miles round trip with stop and go traffic (thanks D.M.V)

I appreciate y'alls help and possible long term suggestions to fixing/maintaining the stock seat.

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
I haven't heard of such a thing. You're not heavy.

Have you talked to the dealer? Sounds like a defect.

OP
brandons1209
Thread Starter #3
No I havent, but seeing that the car is a little more than a year old (Bought new December 2016) I figured it was just getting old like most seats. In comparison, my Volvo 240 seats, with a busted spring feel more comfortable than these seats...

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
No I havent, but seeing that the car is a little more than a year old (Bought new December 2016) I figured it was just getting old like most seats. In comparison, my Volvo 240 seats, with a busted spring feel more comfortable than these seats...
I had issues with my 2010 Ford Focus driver seat separation of foam on the backrest, It was fixed under warranty. A Ford Fiesta seat is not going to compare to a Volvo. You are very light for your height I'm 200 pounds at 5,7.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Were the windows ever left open, or a drink spilled on the seat; was the seat ever cleaned using damaging chemicals? If it is truly flat as in, the service manager can sit in a new car, then plop down in yours only to very nearly get a tailbone injury, they'll likely warranty replacement. But if it's simply a matter of a minor difference in opinion and there's nothing concrete (no pun intended) about the condition of the seat, then it'll be difficult to get it swapped out under warranty. The seat, containing a bomb, otherwise known as an airbag, isn't as simple/cheap a swap out as it may initially seem. From time-to-time members will part-out a wrecked vehicle here. If this is a case of damage vs defect, the damaged seat may be more cheaply replaced by grabbing a replacement from another member here who's doing a part-out.

OP
brandons1209
Thread Starter #6
Were the windows ever left open, or a drink spilled on the seat; was the seat ever cleaned using damaging chemicals? If it is truly flat as in, the service manager can sit in a new car, then plop down in yours only to very nearly get a tailbone injury, they'll likely warranty replacement. But if it's simply a matter of a minor difference in opinion and there's nothing concrete (no pun intended) about the condition of the seat, then it'll be difficult to get it swapped out under warranty. The seat, containing a bomb, otherwise known as an airbag, isn't as simple/cheap a swap out as it may initially seem. From time-to-time members will part-out a wrecked vehicle here. If this is a case of damage vs defect, the damaged seat may be more cheaply replaced by grabbing a replacement from another member here who's doing a part-out.
I agree with what you are saying. I have never spilled a drink in my or cleaned my seats with any sort of chemical compound. The most I have done in terms of interior cleaning was wiping down (dry wiping) the dust that built up around the edges and vacuum the inside. I was too afraid of using anything else that would have damaged it. If I am coming home from the gym or PT, I use a towel to sit on in order to deter any possible sweet.

Now in regards to the warranty stuff, I have never once even thought about wanting to warranty the seat mainly because I was afraid of being talked down to like some punk-noise, know-it-all kid (being that I am 21). If I go this route, what should I say? Again, this is all how picky the service manager is in terms of what they feel...right? If they decide not to warranty it, then don't I have to come out of pocket for the claim?

Also, I have to say about comparing a 'new Fiesta' to mine (This was about 2 months, I had a rental that was a 2017 with 15k miles on it), there was no comparison, the '17 felt better even with the wide variety of booties sitting in the seat. I understand also that the base Fiesta and the FiST have different bolstering (I think?), but still, the bottom felt a lot comfier.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
There isn't much we can do about prejudice, unfortunately. Nobody wanted to rent anything other than their worst apartment to me at that age, for example.

But you can compensate for it. Bring someone along who may have more in common, culturally, with the person you have to impress upon.

There can be a DRASTIC difference in experiences between dealerships. If there's any way to get data on which may give you the best chance of a successful claim...

Do others around you who sit in the seat, feel the same way? That may be a pre-test, of sorts.

OP
brandons1209
Thread Starter #8
There isn't much we can do about prejudice, unfortunately. Nobody wanted to rent anything other than their worst apartment to me at that age, for example.

But you can compensate for it. Bring someone along who may have more in common, culturally, with the person you have to impress upon.

There can be a DRASTIC difference in experiences between dealerships. If there's any way to get data on which may give you the best chance of a successful claim...

Do others around you who sit in the seat, feel the same way? That may be a pre-test, of sorts.
Yes i have actually. My friend who was a service manager for GM for a number of years, my coworker who was the Fleet manager for the BOP for 20 years, my nieghbor, and most importantly my mother (yes the mom test is the most important). They all agreed that after about 10 minutes, that the seat starting to give them bums a sore.

I understand what your saying about the drastic difference in terms of dealers and warranty work. The dealer I bought my car from is a leader in truck sales (Sheehy Warrenton). The only warranty work I have done was the drivers side cv boot which had ripped. I am running stage 2 with the AP, and there was no question in regards to the power upgrades. However, I feel as if the service manager over their sat in it for a lionger period of time, I feel like he could possibly agree (really nice guy), but again this is a very subjective topic.

XanRules

Just wanted to agree that this should be a warranty issue - discomfort is one thing, but if there are any defects in the seat they should give you minimal hassle about the warranty.

OP
brandons1209
Thread Starter #10
I really appreciate everyone's input! Will be contacting the dealership on Friday to see about the availabilty to take it in. I will update ya'lls about the progress of it.