Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Cobb All the Way

Finally getting around to installing everything for Cobb Stage 3. Does anyone have any final thoughts, suggestions, or other things I should do while I have the car tore apart for the next few weeks? Also, going to install new brakes, mud flaps, and maybe tear the stereo apart again. (JL Audio stuff is not working as expected)...

thanks for any and all suggestions...

Since your wheels will be off for the brakes, you'll have access to where the bov is, so you can always pop one in. The GFB DV+ is supposed to be good. I just used the boomba one because I wanted sound, lol.

As for cheaper mods, you can pop in a short shifter while you put in the downpipe, or you can buy a symposer delete. Maybe even a catch can if ya want.

Nothing I think. But I think he meant you should get a flash tune from stratified. They feel a lot better than Cobb ots stage 3.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Thanks for the great information...keep the suggestions coming...
I agree with the guy above. Ditch the downpipe. Sell it. It won't add any power. Get a 91/93 tune or (preferably) an E30 tune from stratified. They absolutely blow Cobb's shitty OTS tunes out of the water.

OP
C
Thread Starter #8
Ordered dark ice designs bonnet lift kit and damond catch can kit. Thought I would get more suggestions on what to get while I had it apart. I contemplating buying a new turbo but not sure. If I do it probably will be the x47, but not crazy about the mixed responses about that turbo. What say all of you?

Thanks again for any and all responses...

OP
C
Thread Starter #9
Ordered the boomba trans bushings and adapter base. May as well do this since i have everything tore down...

I would say you should get a real dyno tune over a flash from one of the other company's, not saying they suck but the gain usually wont be as good

OP
C
Thread Starter #11
Very productive weekend. I installed everything to get to Cobb Stage 3. Very nice stuff with perfect fit and finish. Also, changed spark plugs to NGK LTR7IX-11, trans fluid to Motul DCTF, installed trans shift bushings and added shift base. I also installed the Damond Catch Can kit and bonnet lift kit from Dark Ice Designs.

Next steps will be to finish painting the brake calipers and rotors and then get those installed. Next weekend maybe...

So why are people saying to ditch the DP? Suggesting to run a stage 3 map on the stock pipe? Seems counter-intuitive... need more info.

Quisp

1000 Post Club
So why are people saying to ditch the DP? Suggesting to run a stage 3 map on the stock pipe? Seems counter-intuitive... need more info.
Stages are marketing strategy. Look up Bill Hicks on YouTube about marketing.

Stages are marketing strategy. Look up Bill Hicks on YouTube about marketing.
Marketing or not, if your tune is set up for bigger turbo-back pipes, it seems like a good idea to have them... for both performance and reliability. I don't see how running a tune that accounts for at least a DP would benefit from NOT having the DP.

HBEcoBeaST

Ok there's some misinformation here. An aftermarket DP allows the tuner to run a more aggressive tune which in turn makes more power. Similar to an intercooler, the part itself doesn't 'make' power it simply allows the ECU to safely run the different tune.

The whole 'stages' thing is mostly marketing, but any quality tuner will optimize the tune for your modifications. It would be unsafe to run a custom tune for 'full bolt-ons' on a completely stock car. That being said, the Cobb OTS tunes are VERY conservative, which is why gain differences are minimal between stages and many people get away with running a higher 'stage' tune than their actual hardware.

Stratified tuning said to expect 10-15 more HP over my 'stage 1' E30 tune when I install my intercooler and DP AND upgrade the tune. 10ish HP with a new tune optimized for just the intercooler.

The power gains from running a tune optimized for a DP are there, up to you to decide if the gains are worth it. To say there are NO gains is just wrong unless your tune isn't optimized for the DP.

And please ditch the Cobb OTS tunes. Any reputable vendor's tunes will be so much better in every way. We're talking +15hp +30ft. Lbs. Torque over the Cobb ots tunes.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Ok there's some misinformation here. An aftermarket DP allows the tuner to run a more aggressive tune which in turn makes more power. Similar to an intercooler, the part itself doesn't 'make' power it simply allows the ECU to safely run the different tune.

The whole 'stages' thing is mostly marketing, but any quality tuner will optimize the tune for your modifications. It would be unsafe to run a custom tune for 'full bolt-ons' on a completely stock car. That being said, the Cobb OTS tunes are VERY conservative, which is why gain differences are minimal between stages and many people get away with running a higher 'stage' tune than their actual hardware.

Stratified tuning said to expect 10-15 more HP over my 'stage 1' E30 tune when I install my intercooler and DP AND upgrade the tune. 10ish HP with a new tune optimized for just the intercooler.

The power gains from running a tune optimized for a DP are there, up to you to decide if the gains are worth it. To say there are NO gains is just wrong unless your tune isn't optimized for the DP.

And please ditch the Cobb OTS tunes. Any reputable vendor's tunes will be so much better in every way. We're talking +15hp +30ft. Lbs. Torque over the Cobb ots tunes.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Great info! This was what I was thinking. I suppose it's not a bad thing that Cobbs OTS tunes are conservative because people are going to try things like running a higher stage etc. and for Cobb that could likely be a liability if people are blowing their motors or causing damage, etc.

OP
C
Thread Starter #17
I upgraded the way I did because I trust the time and effort Cobb put into their products. I have used Cobb products for years and have had great success. Ultimately everything I have done will set me up for the next upgrade. Custom tuning and then probably new turbo. I'm sure many of you will say I wasted my money. I do not feel that way, and after all it is my money. The fit and finish of all of their products allowed for an uneventful installation. That is always a good thing in my book!!!

OP
C
Thread Starter #18
I got the car back on the road yesterday. Cobb Stage 3 done with Power Stop Z23 brake setup. Very pleased with the results. Will drive it this way for awhile then get custom tune. I will have to see what Indy has to offer in way of custom tuning...Next year will probably be new turbo and additional tuning.

Attachments

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I got the car back on the road yesterday. Cobb Stage 3 done with Power Stop Z23 brake setup. Very pleased with the results. Will drive it this way for awhile then get custom tune. I will have to see what Indy has to offer in way of custom tuning...Next year will probably be new turbo and additional tuning.
Good man! You go the sleeves with the Damond OCC. Some people skimp out on this option and pay for it in the end when they get a hole worn in the hose from it resting in areas where there is vibration and a lot of heat![like]

OP
C
Thread Starter #20
Good man! You go the sleeves with the Damond OCC. Some people skimp out on this option and pay for it in the end when they get a hole worn in the hose from it resting in areas where there is vibration and a lot of heat![like]
Yeah I did not see the point in skimping on something so cheap. I ran the drain tube down to the front side of the tire. I can turn my steering wheel to the left and easily place a pan underneath and drain.