Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Fiesta ST Owner Quality & Ownership Survey

Fiesta ST Owner Quality & Ownership Survey

• Overall build quality met my expectations

Votes: 200 84.4%
  • Overall build quality did not meet my expectations

Votes: 27 11.4%
  • Exterior build quality met my expectations

Votes: 191 80.6%
  • Exterior build quality did not meet my expectations

Votes: 27 11.4%
  • Interior build quality met my expectations

Votes: 167 70.5%
  • Interior build quality did not meet my expectations

Votes: 54 22.8%
  • Vehicle comfort level met my expectations

Votes: 204 86.1%
  • Vehicle comfort level did not meet my expectations

Votes: 19 8.0%
  • Engine power and performance met my expectations

Votes: 215 90.7%
  • Engine power and performance did not meet my expectations

Votes: 9 3.8%
  • Vehicle handling met my expectations

Votes: 221 93.2%
  • Vehicle handling did not meet my expectations

Votes: 3 1.3%
  • Safety features met my expectations

Votes: 203 85.7%
  • Safety features did not meet my expectations

Votes: 12 5.1%
  • Technology features met my expectations

Votes: 181 76.4%
  • Technology features did not meet my expectations

Votes: 39 16.5%
  • Fuel economy met my expectations

Votes: 196 82.7%
  • Fuel economy did not meet my expectations

Votes: 24 10.1%
  • I experienced some defects and problems with my vehicle

Votes: 86 36.3%
  • I did not experienced any defects or problems with my vehicle

Votes: 125 52.7%
  • I felt my vehicle is a great value for the money

Votes: 205 86.5%
  • I did not feel my vehicle is a great value for the money

Votes: 11 4.6%
  • I would recommend a Fiesta ST to a friend

Votes: 215 90.7%
  • I would not recommend a Fiesta ST to a friend

Votes: 6 2.5%

• Total voters
I did bring it in. They told me the linkage is just loud on these vehicles and the thinner firewall makes it more pronounced, and that the clicking while engaging gear is normal operation for it. I've heard dual mass clutches make that noise, but....im not convinced. He also told me it was ok my ic pipe clamps were a little loose. Sigh....
Tuxedo! Ronbo is right...you have got a problem that should be fixed under warranty!

The clicking sound from the clutch is a symptom of the broken clutch plate. I've had several cars with dual mass flywheels and none of them, including my FiST, make any sound when engaging the clutch. At any rate, as long as you now have the problem documented you should be covered if/when the car becomes undrivable.

I did bring it in. They told me the linkage is just loud on these vehicles and the thinner firewall makes it more pronounced, and that the clicking while engaging gear is normal operation for it. I've heard dual mass clutches make that noise, but....im not convinced. He also told me it was ok my ic pipe clamps were a little loose. Sigh....
Mine is just noisy too, just how they are

Mine makes all kinds of noise...loud embarrasing noise. It does it most when Im in neutral or depress the clutch. Especially coming out of lower gears. Sounds like syncros ive been told. Im upset about it all.

Mine makes all kinds of noise...loud embarrasing noise. It does it most when Im in neutral or depress the clutch. Especially coming out of lower gears. Sounds like syncros ive been told. Im upset about it all.
If you'd like me to loop in your customer service manager, please let me know. I'll need (in a private message) your VIN, mileage, best daytime phone number, full name, and dealer name/location.

Meagan

Im generally pleased with the car. The problems I've had are.....

1) Replaced the vapor purge valve recently due to erratic engine rpm (stalled once) after filling up.

2) Oil life monitor reset does not work as advertised....so the next time I'll take it to the dealership. Hopefully they can fix it.

3) Clicking noise while changing gears, just like many people experience here. I just assume it's normal, but I'll mention it on my next oil change.

4) Since its a firm riding car, when I go over uneven pavement, I hear a rattling noise that I believe is come from behind the drivers shoulder harness.

jayrod1980

I don't like all the hard touch plastic... Mostly because it scratches easily and I'm anal about scratches.

Also the auto temp sensor in the climate control system is nuts! It always wants to run the AC on high.

GAbOS

Digging my car. It's exactly what I would expect from a low 20k car plus some! I expected to have cheaper interior because of what the car is even outside the ST trim.

I have had a few rattles here and there is super high wind situations but once the weather warms up and I get around to upgrading the car audio, that will be fixed with some carefully placed padding under some panels.

The OE radio loses BT sometimes or sounds like crap until I bounce my phone's BT and the Radio to resync them.

That's about it!

GAbOS

Everyone has the climate control issue right?
No.

It's weak, but not broken in my car. Climate control in a low 20k car with Recaro's. Be realistic.

The system does appear to be 'controlled' so you will get a blast in the face of whatever has been sitting in your ducts before the selected temp starts flowing. Remember that heat comes from the engine.

DaveG99

No.

It's weak, but not broken in my car. Climate control in a low 20k car with Recaro's. Be realistic.

The system does appear to be 'controlled' so you will get a blast in the face of whatever has been sitting in your ducts before the selected temp starts flowing. Remember that heat comes from the engine.
It's not about being realistic. Even in manual the heat ONLY works at full blast HI. Any turn of the knob colder than HI and it blows cold as can be. The heater just doesn't work. Wanting a functioning heater isn't something crazy. Just because the car is only 20k doesn't mean it can come with broken non functioning parts

I'm 75% in love with the car. Build quality (I have a US spec 5 door built in Mexico) is definitely lacking. I've owned Fords before, so I prepared myself for some quality issues. It has been back to the dealer at least three times for defects all covered under warranty (evap purge valve malfunction, climate control sensor malfunction, sunroof leak). Some door gaps are larger than others. The hood/bonnet is misaligned. All part of the experience.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
I don't like all the hard touch plastic... Mostly because it scratches easily and I'm anal about scratches.

Also the auto temp sensor in the climate control system is nuts! It always wants to run the AC on high.
I believe it wants to run it on high until the cabin sensor reads near the set temperature. So if it's 85 and you're setting in on 70, basically that means it's always going to run on high because it'll probably never achieve that temperature within your driving time. If it's 20F outside and you're setting it on 75F, the same will probably result.

I'm about 95% happy. The more I drive it day after day, the more I hate the folks that decided not to offer a back up camera. I've always found them frivolous before, but trying to twist around to see behind you in the Recaro seats is brutally awkward.

Otherwise, I love it.

The only problems in my car is: the automatic side mirrors no longer work; the climate control will get sporadic at times; and the defroster vent will click like crazy which everyone seems to be affected by that.

One minor thing is the shifter feel It may be the transmission fluid but at times it's buttery smooth and sometimes it's clunky and not smooth.

Besides that it's by far the best first car I probably could have ever owned and so grateful but nothing is ever perfect which is fine.

I only have 1000 miles on my FiST

These are the things I really liked
  • Love the steering feel, precise and tight at speed, easy for parking.
  • Acceleration, power and sound even when using 87 Octane Fuel
    (Yes I know the sound is faked)
  • Interior Materials, very high quality for this class of car.
  • Great modern Electronics, voice recog, Pushbutton start, Sync 3 and Sony Sound system.
  • Very nice Automatic climate control
  • Cool Wheels and Tires
  • Great MPG, 1-2 MPG Better than EPA estimates
  • Comfortable Seats (standard cloth)
  • Great Stick Shift (though 5th gear is useless)
Disappointments
  • No Backup camera or sensors
  • No Passenger side grab handle (Why do the Japanese include these but Ford doesn't)
  • Somewhat Jittery ride on rough roads (expected)

I have had my car for 3 months and around 3600 miles. Most of this sounds like a lot of complaining, but I really love my car.
Here are my opinions:
- I went into it knowing I was essentially buying a factory tuned/upgraded vehicle based on the least expensive car Ford sells so I was realistic in my expectations for materials and build quality. I think some people are expecting too much. A base Fiesta is ~$14k, so you're not buying a $21k car, but a $14k car with $7k of engine, suspension, body kit, and other upgrades. I think both are decent if not good. The plastics are definitely lower end. I think Ford could have used a better texture to make it less apparent. The dash texture looks cheesy and will look outdated not long in the future.
- I have always had an aversion towards cars built in Mexico, but my Fiesta feels solid. I.E. the sound and feel of the door closing isn't what I expected from an economy car. It is solid!
- The oem wheels are heavy for a car that is reliant on being lightweight. That and I don't understand why Ford used such a strange bolt pattern
- The brake dust is terrible. Unless I don't drive the car, it's almost impossible to keep the wheels clean.
- I don't see the big deal with the absence of a back-up camera. The visibility in this car is very good, unless you have a giant van or suv parked next to you. My dad's CR-V has a back-up camera and I find it more of a distraction than anything. It doesn't give the degree of visibility as looking out of the windows.
- It is surprisingly quiet for the type of car. It's not Lexus LS quiet, but wind noise at highway speeds is very acceptable. Road noise is there, and highly dependent on the quality of the roads.
- The interior feels cramped compared to the Honda Fit and Nissan Versa. Mainly the back seat and cargo space. Front leg room is adequate
- ergonomics are hit and miss. My main complaints are with the driver window switches, radio controls, and front cup holders. The window switches can sit back a couple more inches because I constantly find myself raising and lowering the rear windows when I meant to do the fronts. The grab bar on the door is in the way. The radio controls (sources, presets) are on the touch screen and it sits too far forward for me to safely reach it while driving. You can tell the placement of the screen was an afterthought. This could have been remedied with individual physical source buttons instead of one that cycles through AM1, AM2, FM1, FM2, Sirius, Bluetooth, CD, and USB. The placement of the cup holders make them almost unusable. Putting anything in them means I'm hitting my arm every time I shift. That and my right arm has to contort in uncomfortable directions to get drinks out of the cupholders.
- I have the base seats, and they're okay for short distance driving (<100 miles). They are uncomfortable for my back and legs/thighs on long distances. I do have back problems from a previous accident so maybe it's not widespread. I can drive all day in my 02 Maxima without any problems though.
- The handling of the car is incredible. I can do a U-turn in places where I would have to do a three-point in almost any other car.
- For the size of the car, the gas mileage is a bit on the low side. I bought it knowing the figures, but a Civic or Corolla could easily beat it and they're bigger cars with slightly bigger engines. Even when I drive it conservatively, I have a hard time beating EPA estimates. Of course, if gas mileage was my primary concern, I'd be in a Prius

I have had my car for 3 months and around 3600 miles. Most of this sounds like a lot of complaining,...
You would have been really sorry If you got a Pruis, build quality is super light and cheep. And MPG never came close to EPA, I averaged 20% less.
And the out the door price is $5000 higher. And in hot (100+) weather, the power dropped way down.

The FiST is EPA rated at 26/33, With no effort I beat those numbers, which are admittedly low for a small car. Fuelly shows an 29 average for Fiesta ST's
The FiST front seat room is generous for Me a Big guy, but my Prius did have better back seat and cargo room
Brake dust is bad, I wonder if this is from the torque vectoring system, which applies the bakes to the inside wheel when turning?
The Voice recognition is much better than that source button for audio source selection. The presets are redundant, just say FM 102.3, and your there.
(The voice recognition on the Prius was horrible)
Strange wheel bolt pattern??? I don't see that?

Intuit

3000 Post Club
- The oem wheels are heavy for a car that is reliant on being lightweight.
............. driver window switches, ....... constantly find myself raising and lowering the rear windows when I meant to do the fronts.
the base seats, and they're okay for short distance driving (<100 miles). They are uncomfortable for my back and legs/thighs on long distances. I do have back problems from a previous accident so maybe it's not widespread. ................
Redox, check out the lumbar support on those seats. Makes a world of difference. What I'd like though is not to have to hunch my head forward. I don't like the reclined seating position that the overwhelming majority of car head-rests are designed for.

LoL on the window switches - find myself doing the same thing but you get used to it -- and I pretty much always crack the rear two if I do the front two anyway.

The heavy wheels are heavy because they're more dense - durable - less susceptible to getting damaged by common road hazards and driver goof-ups. Paying out $200 for every crater one hits is insane to think about. I hit one driving on a dark section of the road and heard the front aluminum wheel ringing. (~38 PSI cold) No damage. I cut a corner too hard and curbed it. Minor scratching and no perceptible vibrations >115mph.

[*]Great Stick Shift (though 5th gear is useless)
[*]Somewhat Jittery ride on rough roads (expected)
[/LIST]
LoL I too would've preferred that they *ADDED* a sixth gear instead of putting another gear between one and five. But they built the transmission for race-gearing rather than economy.

The bouncy ride will improve as the suspension ages. (to a point)