Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Thermostat Specs

Mishimoto sells a 160 degree "racing" thermostat, and on the Mishimoto website it says that the stock thermostat opens at 207 degrees. Is that correct? Although my coolant temperature will exceed 207 degrees at times, when I drive my car in cool weather the coolant temp rises to a bit over 180 degrees as shown on my AP, then stays there. It makes me think my 2017 has a 180 degree thermostat, not 207 degrees. I can drive a long time and never approach a coolant temp of 207 degrees. Is it possible the AP is measuring coolant temp at a place in the system that is not near the thermostat and that could explain the discrepancy? Or is Mishimoto incorrect?

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
Mishimoto sells a 160 degree "racing" thermostat, and on the Mishimoto website it says that the stock thermostat opens at 207 degrees. Is that correct? Although my coolant temperature will exceed 207 degrees at times, when I drive my car in cool weather the coolant temp rises to a bit over 180 degrees as shown on my AP, then stays there. It makes me think my 2017 has a 180 degree thermostat, not 207 degrees. I can drive a long time and never approach a coolant temp of 207 degrees. Is it possible the AP is measuring coolant temp at a place in the system that is not near the thermostat and that could explain the discrepancy? Or is Mishimoto incorrect?
When I looked up the Motorcraft part on RockAuto it says 190 degrees on the thermostat.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

TDavis

1000 Post Club
Ambient here usually hovers around 40-50 and my coolant never gets above 190

It's definitely open around 190, my 2017 normally gets 192-193 normal driving and drops down. Had it up to 220 at autocross though, not really happy about that, I had to run the heater to get it to cool down between runs and it was only 50* or so outside.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Looks like, on top of the '14's-early '15's as part of the recall, the '18-'19's get the 180 degree thermostat too. My '17 definitely hovers around 190-194 when under 70 out but rises quickly above that... I almost overheated at 97 degrees with 15 minutes of gentle stop and go and Ford still won't simple cover a 180 degree thermostat because they can't duplicate it... at 70 degrees out, WTH.. they should have a paint booth they can warm up 95 or something to diagnose it right!

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Looks like, on top of the '14's-early '15's as part of the recall, the '18-'19's get the 180 degree thermostat too. My '17 definitely hovers around 190-194 when under 70 out but rises quickly above that... I almost overheated at 97 degrees with 15 minutes of gentle stop and go and Ford still won't simple cover a 180 degree thermostat because they can't duplicate it... at 70 degrees out, WTH.. they should have a paint booth they can warm up 95 or something to diagnose it right!
Where did you get the info about Ford using a 180 degree thermo on 18-19”s ? This is the first time I have seen anyone say this.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Where did you get the info about Ford using a 180 degree thermo on 18-19”s ? This is the first time I have seen anyone say this.
Confirmed with a number of people with '18's that have an AP that their cruising temp on cool days is 180-185 plus the guy here in the other thread that doesn't have an AP and went to do his along with a radiator and the stock one was clearly stamped 82c right on on it...

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Confirmed with a number of people with '18's that have an AP that their cruising temp on cool days is 180-185 plus the guy here in the other thread that doesn't have an AP and went to do his along with a radiator and the stock one was clearly stamped 82c right on on it...
Its hearsay till there is published proof I am not finding it on a parts search. Also why has he not posted pics of that? Why is it Tasca has the same part number for all years. I will be monitoring my 18 to see this as I have overheated in the canyons mid day in 80 degree temps.
So I am having a hard time with you basing your facts off second hand information. Without hardcore part numbers and facts from Ford its hearsay at this point and you should not be putting it out there as fact as it could be misleading.
I am not against posting good info but until its been fact checked well its not a proven fact its anectdotal

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
Its hearsay till there is published proof I am not finding it on a parts search. Also why has he not posted pics of that? Why is it Tasca has the same part number for all years. I will be monitoring my 18 to see this as I have overheated in the canyons mid day in 80 degree temps.
So I am having a hard time with you basing your facts off second hand information. Without hardcore part numbers and facts from Ford its hearsay at this point and you should not be putting it out there as fact as it could be misleading.
I am not against posting good info but until its been fact checked well its not a proven fact its anectdotal
Exactly I have looked at multiple Ford OEM part sites and it all has the exact same part number.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Cool bro, I strongly feel have enough info after looking into this the last couple of months, when you have like a dozed cases of "anecdotal" eventually it becomes fact. I've had about a half dozen people today confirm that their cool weather cruising temps in their '18+ are 180-185 and those of us without it are at 189-195. With a guy literally saw that his was clearly stamped with it, I think it's pretty clear to me. I'm also sure as fuck not going to trust Ford to update their parts list when companies pull this shit all the time; do little updates and not say anything so they don't have to pay to upgrade others like me. Also, the parts search I could come up with list 180 as the recommended temp with 194, 190 and 180 all listed as available by RockAuto for all year FiST's. You know it COULD be they used both 194 and 180 at the factory depending on supply/exact build date, but really, who gives a damn, it's not going to hurt anything when I have a mountain of anecdotal evidence it's enough to make a conclusion on.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Exactly I have looked at multiple Ford OEM part sites and it all has the exact same part number.
Yeah, Tasca is still a 3rd party, so let's just believe them that they update every little part number from Ford as the be-all, end-all final word, FAR more disingenuous than believing actual people... wow, whatever, you guys can believe whatever the hell you want, but to try to call me out like I'm an idiot after all the research I've done like i'm going to blow someones car up is bullshit and not worth your accusations.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Cool bro, I strongly feel have enough info after looking into this the last couple of months, when you have like a dozed cases of "anecdotal" eventually it becomes fact. I've had about a half dozen people today confirm that their cool weather cruising temps in their '18+ are 180-185 and those of us without it are at 189-195. With a guy literally saw that his was clearly stamped with it, I think it's pretty clear to me. I'm also sure as fuck not going to trust Ford to update their parts list when companies pull this shit all the time; do little updates and not say anything so they don't have to pay to upgrade others like me. Also, the parts search I could come up with list 180 as the recommended temp with 194, 190 and 180 all listed as available by RockAuto for all year FiST's. You know it COULD be they used both 194 and 180 at the factory depending on supply/exact build date, but really, who gives a damn, it's not going to hurt anything when I have a mountain of anecdotal evidence it's enough to make a conclusion on.
First Off I am not your Bro and back off with the condescending attitude.
You want to call Tasca a third party and then cite Rock Auto lol.
Tasca is actually a Ford. Dealer! Using the Ford system. Its parts look up is exactly like all Ford dealer parts look up online.
Rock Auto is actually a cut rate third party hmmm Pot Meet Kettle.

I addressed the anectdotal evidence in the other thread but I will address it again here.
Until people show pics of their thermostats from their 18-19”s you are purely taking the word of one person.
If you knew much about automobile thermostats you would realize they can and do not always open to full operating temp rating in lower climes. Its by nature of the design. A person can cruise around in cooler temps and have their thermo partially open and show cooler than rated temps. It does not magically show it as meaning it has a cooler temp thermostat. You are conjecturing and that is not fact but theory.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
First Off I am not your Bro and back off with the condescending attitude.
You want to call Tasca a third party and then cite Rock Auto lol.
Tasca is actually a Ford. Dealer! Using the Ford system. Its parts look up is exactly like all Ford dealer parts look up online.
Rock Auto is actually a cut rate third party hmmm Pot Meet Kettle.

I addressed the anectdotal evidence in the other thread but I will address it again here.
Until people show pics of their thermostats from their 18-19”s you are purely taking the word of one person.
If you knew much about automobile thermostats you would realize they can and do not always open to full operating temp rating in lower climes. Its by nature of the design. A person can cruise around in cooler temps and have their thermo partially open and show cooler than rated temps. It does not magically show it as meaning it has a cooler temp thermostat. You are conjecturing and that is not fact but theory.
OK, whatever, I'm not dumb and know the difference between a fully vs. partially open thermostat and any car being fully warmed up is going to have a pretty narrow range it's going to run at when it's mild out... I've done the research and MANY people, as in all that have bothered to report on my questions, about 8, are all clearly reporting lower full cruising temps that are 179-185 in the '18's, vs. many of us with non-recall '15-17's that are reporting 189-198... BUT it appears that the '19's are indeed a crap shoot. Ford may have used whatever they had left laying around as part of their "clearance" like they did by introducing an "ST Line" for only the final year... But again, but when you have more and more anecdotal evidence eventually it becomes enough to make a judgement call on, so for the '18's yes, for the '19's not enough evidence to decide and I'm sticking to that until I get more feedback.

Anyway, I wasn't condescending and if I was it came off the tail of your condescending accusations in the first place... whatever, I know you are a reasonable poster on here, so let's move forward and I'll say that I understand why spreading false information would be a concern... but I assure you it's not just one person in total, it's just the only one who has bothered to actually open their '18 and not sure why someone would randomly lie or make that up, but also over a half dozen people with '18's have reported their fully warmed up mild weather cruising temps in the 179-185 range, not a single one with an '18 has said 190's.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Here are 3 parts in a row that all claim 180 is the OEM recommended spec... notice how they are all out of stock, looks like people are making a run on them for a good reason! Now, it LOOKS like most '18's got them stock, I'm not going to say everyone for sure did, but the OEM recommended temp definitely did go down. Also sounds like there are some parts that are 194 and some that are 190 as well, it may be the 190 is just an aftermarket one where they used a more even number for simplicity sake, but likely most cars got the 194 before '18 at least. One guy with a '19 is reporting 190-198 fully warmed up daily driving temps so they may have gone to using whatever they had on hand for the final '19 year... Sorry if this all sounds anecdotal, but not a single person with an '18, at least six that have reported so far, have claimed higher than the 179-185 range for regular fully warmed up driving.

1561157965421.png

Dpro

6000 Post Club
OK, whatever, I'm not dumb and know the difference between a fully vs. partially open thermostat and any car being fully warmed up is going to have a pretty narrow range it's going to run at when it's mild out... I've done the research and MANY people, as in all that have bothered to report on my questions, about 8, are all clearly reporting lower full cruising temps that are 179-185 in the '18's, vs. many of us with non-recall '15-17's that are reporting 189-198... BUT it appears that the '19's are indeed a crap shoot. Ford may have used whatever they had left laying around as part of their "clearance" like they did by introducing an "ST Line" for only the final year... But again, but when you have more and more anecdotal evidence eventually it becomes enough to make a judgement call on, so for the '18's yes, for the '19's not enough evidence to decide and I'm sticking to that until I get more feedback.

Anyway, I wasn't condescending and if I was it came off the tail of your condescending accusations in the first place... whatever, I know you are a reasonable poster on here, so let's move forward and I'll say that I understand why spreading false information would be a concern... but I assure you it's not just one person in total, it's just the only one who has bothered to actually open their '18 and not sure why someone would randomly lie or make that up, but also over a half dozen people with '18's have reported their fully warmed up mild weather cruising temps in the 179-185 range, not a single one with an '18 has said 190's.

Feeling combative? No one said you were dumb. My comments were not condescending and yes yours came off that way. Again I will say this anectdotal evidence does not make conclusive fact in science. This is in effect science. I have nothing more to say beyond the point of until there is hardcore evidence pics and part information from Ford it is still speculation on your part.

I will add showing Motorad and Gates parts for sale stating 180 does not prove your point either. Most aftermarket thermostat vendors offer them in a variety of ranges.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
What year do you see in this picture?

I see you chose a 2015 and the same one is listed for every year as well. I was just saying the new recommended temp is 180, whether any year actually got them, that's still up in the air.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Feeling combative? No one said you were dumb. My comments were not condescending and yes yours came off that way. Again I will say this anectdotal evidence does not make conclusive fact in science. This is in effect science. I have nothing more to say beyond the point of until there is hardcore evidence pics and part information from Ford it is still speculation on your part.

I will add showing Motorad and Gates parts for sale stating 180 does not prove your point either. Most aftermarket thermostat vendors offer them in a variety of ranges.
I'm just saying the recommended temp IS 180, whether any one got them from the factory may be still up in the air, but a lot of evidence is showing that likely most '18's got them... but I'm not going to say that with 100 % certainty yet, I will concede that.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
I'm just saying the recommended temp IS 180, whether any one got them from the factory may be still up in the air, but a lot of evidence is showing that likely most '18's got them... but I'm not going to say that with 100 % certainty yet, I will concede that.
Well you just made my point you cannot say with 100% certainty then you should not be stating it as fact as I stated earlier. You even have Capri to ST editing his thread like its a known defacto change for 18-19 but your not 100% certain. Which equals disinformation as its not a fact like I stated. If and when there is concrete evidence its a fact is when it should be stated as a model year change fact.

I posted in the other thread that my '18 came with a 180* thermostat from the factory. Again, I'm not making any claims to which cars got them and which didn't. Maybe mine is a factory freak, who knows. I had a Motorcraft on order with Whoosh but ended up canceling that part of the order ($5) when I tore it apart. Either way, the thermostat won't fix the issue, especially in my situation. It would just overheat in 30 mins instead of 40 on extreme temp days if starting with a higher temp t-stat. This is my second FIST ('15 pre-fix) and this one is noticeably better in temps when climbing hills and pushing it but the stock cooling system is still inadequate.

No, I didn't take pics but what would that prove? I would then be told that I swapped it before the photos. And I don't really care if you believe me or not, I'm not here for validation.