Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Heat shields

How many of you, that have replaced your downpipe, have left the heat shields off? Had a hell of a time removing the exhaust manifold heat shield. I cannot imagine getting it back in there, but not sure who have had success leaving these shields off.

Quisp

1000 Post Club
Took the coolant pipes off and removed upper no problem. Reverse for install.

OP
C
Thread Starter #6
Took the coolant pipes off and removed upper no problem. Reverse for install.
This is what I ended up doing, but made a huge mess with coolant and was still a pain in the a$$. I may use some tin snips and cut some of the shielding back to see if that helps for future removal/ installation. The passenger side of the shield is really the only trouble spot. If that small corner were removed it probably would go in and out easily.

DangerMouse

I tried to reinstall the manifold shield but it was beyond repair. I would prefer to have it on since the intake is directly over it.

I thought about buying a new one but I will destroy it trying to get it on there.

Would be nice if someone made an aftermarket one that fits easier.

OP
C
Thread Starter #8
I have left mine off and will see how that goes. If it becomes an issue I will do some cutting to make it work easier.

Note:
I have the Cobb intake and I don't think it will be much of an issue...

I have left mine off and will see how that goes. If it becomes an issue I will do some cutting to make it work easier.

Note:
I have the Cobb intake and I don't think it will be much of an issue...
I also have the Cobb intake. I left mine off when I swapped the downpipe as they made me very very ragey, and were definitely damaged during removal. I was nervous at first but I have had it this way since the start of January. Weve already had 70+ degree days here in Boise, and its been fine. The intake pipe definitely gets hot, however under load the air will be moving so fast through the pipe it wont be an issue, since we are still pulling ambient air. Time will tell once we hit 100's but it seems just fine. I will look into fabbing something up if it becomes an issue, but I know lots of people have left them off with no issues.

I have same thing with heat shield off. Been about 5 months with no problem. Also thinking about the heat aspect on the intake pipe. Would wrapping the pipe in a heat shield tape help at all?

I have same thing with heat shield off. Been about 5 months with no problem. Also thinking about the heat aspect on the intake pipe. Would wrapping the pipe in a heat shield tape help at all?
It would definitely help drop temps a few degrees, as per what I have seen reported with another guy I knew trying to keep everything as cool as possible. Never really a bad idea to do it if youre willing to put in the time.

OP
C
Thread Starter #12
Not sure of the fears as stated above, but my specific fear is the intake pipe melting. I believe it is ABS plastic and I think that melting point is somewhere around 210 degrees(someone can check me on that). I am not too concerned about the heat transfer of the ABS plastic as it should be low (this is prevalent in most plastics). I may stick a temp probe in the engine bay near that location and see how high it actually gets.

Note:

Hopefully I have my car going again soon...

Not sure of the fears as stated above, but my specific fear is the intake pipe melting. I believe it is ABS plastic and I think that melting point is somewhere around 210 degrees(someone can check me on that). I am not too concerned about the heat transfer of the ABS plastic as it should be low (this is prevalent in most plastics). I may stick a temp probe in the engine bay near that location and see how high it actually gets.

Note:

Hopefully I have my car going again soon...
This was the same fear that I had back when I first made the swap. I am literally going to test this here this summer. July we routinely hit over 100 degrees. If it melts I will be sure to post up about it. However if that was an issue, I believe I would have seen comments on that issue by now. I havent seen anything yet, and plenty of people have swapped over to big turbo setups that cannot re use the heat shielding with no issues.

DangerMouse

Good info on the turbo swaps. I was just wondering if the heat shield could be used with a different turbo or not.

DangerMouse

Anyone have tips or tricks to getting the heat shield back on without being the shit out of it? I ended up ordering a new one. It's cheap enough and makes me feel better.

OP
C
Thread Starter #16
Remove the coolant lines to the turbo and the turbo and exhaust shield will go back on easily. The cat shield needs factory dp or mods to work otherwise...

DangerMouse

I thought about that but I'm worried about taking the coolant lines off. That would do the trick though.

I didn’t take the heat shield all the way off. Just bent it back enough to get the two downpipe bolts off. It bent right back to line up with the bolt holes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
C
Thread Starter #19
Remove the coolant lines to the turbo and the turbo and exhaust shield will go back on easily. The cat shield needs factory dp or mods to work otherwise...
Just be prepared for some of the coolant to leak out. Also, keep an eye out on the banjo fittings, if I recall correctly there are crush washers on each side of the fittings and you will need to reinstall those if they come off...best of luck...

Ford Community Posts